eden rock reef

czexrus

it sounds like eden rock reef is a nice and free place to snorkel in GC. Is this a shore snorkeling deal or what? my 6 year old daughter will be with me who has never snorkeled before and isn't a very good swimmer yet. Do they rent the life jackets and snorkel gear there?

it sounds like eden rock reef is a nice and free place to snorkel in GC. Is this a shore snorkeling deal or what? my 6 year old daughter will be with me who has never snorkeled before and isn't a very good swimmer yet. Do they rent the life jackets and snorkel gear there?

Eden Rock is the closest to the ship and yes they rent gear - including snorkel vests. But I would note that the water is kinda deep, and this may not be the best place to begin with a complete novice.

Now just down the road is Sunset House which also has an onsite dive shop which will rent gear, and once out on the reef the depths too are in the 20 to 30 ft range. But Sunset has one advantage for you. If you check their web site you'll see that they have cut a pool area into the 'iron shore'. There's a ladder and shallow protected water....then an opening out to open water. This is their training site and a great place for a new snorkeler to get in the water, get familiar with the gear then venture out when they feel comfortable.

http://sunsethouse.com/seapool.php

Susnet is about a mile south of town and the main tender landings. Easy by cab - I walk it.

If possible, I'd try to get some gear and do a little swimming pool practice first......check your local dive shop, they may have a familiarization class... IF the child is comfortable in the water with the gear, and you are a STRONG swimmer then EDEN might work out - but I'd go Sunset.

Also be advised....I had my 8 yr old snorkeling in our pool for about a year and she was very comfortable with the gear so I booked our first trip to Key Largo and out on a boat to snorkel. She was fine until she saw her first "real critter." A 3 foot 'cuda, at which time she did an imitation of a high powered motor boat throwing a rooster-tail as she headed back to the boat :eek: . She wasn't expecting the fish to look "BIG ENUF TO EAT ME".......water magification and all that. So, be sure she's gonna be cool with critters.....

Eden Rock is fine, but I wouldn't take a novice out there. Especially if there is any wind at all (which there frequently is). You MUST be able to navigate some wave action. A agree that Sunset House is a suitable option and really isn't that far. We too, walk it....

We've snorkeled at Eden Rock several times...but may want to try something different. How is the snorkeling at Sunset House? How's the reef? Does the dive shop have locker rentals?

Thanks,

Christine

while Sunset house is realy known as a diver's resort I think that a snorkelo will find it at least as good as the Eden Rock area.

Did you use the link I provided to dig around? Yes the dive shop has lockers, but really....they aren't req'd. Roll your stuff up and put it at a table at the bar...

The snorkeling may be a bit deep....but similar to Eden....it depends on how far out you go.

And BETTER YET.....there's My Bar when you come out. Don't be surprised to c crew there. It is away from the tourist traps down town.....

Ask nice at the bar after lunch and they let you use the pool......but either way there'a shower and a dip pool for the gear.....no charge

First vist? over 20 years ago.....

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a day use charge at Sunset House? It looks like you have to go through the grounds to get to their dive pool/ocean access?

Buffy

No charge to dive / snorkel other than "no outside tanks"

dive shop there to rent what you need.

open access to the rest/bar

they do not sell a day pass for the pool, but people say that when they were hanging out at the bar and asked to use the pool they were told no problem....

if that's changed, I haven't heard about it yet..

Hi,

My wife and I have snorkeled at Eden Rock and Parrot's Landing-next door to each other and both kind of deep for snorkelers. We have also snorkeled at Cemetery Reef on the north end of Seven Mile Beach. Reef may be 100-200 yards off shore. Shallow and French angel fish the last time we were there. Take a cab. Going again in June for a week.

Archived