Booking Cruise Through a Website

Audi

Has anyone had a problem booking a cruise through a website? My TA retired a year ago and I was very unhappy with the last TA that I used from the same office. I usually get all the information that I need through a website before choosing a particular cruise. Looks like I can get a great price through a website and they have people listed in my area who can handle the details. The problem is that the person listed for my area does not work at a travel office but does this out of his home. I called and was told that the reason that the price is so good is because the website buys up blocks of rooms from the cruise line and can offer them at a much better price than the cruise line offers. Does this sound "on the level" or should I run the other way? I have gotten such great help from this board in the past that I know someone out there will have an answer to my question. Thanks.

Sounds just fine. Blocks are standard practice. You will find many people here booked their cruises on-line, including me. I would not worry much about where the person works...I booked via a well known online agency, whose pricing ran "orbits" around others, and included a live agent to talk to. My agent is in Boston, over 600 miles from my home.

Just be sure to book with a credit card, and when you get your cruiseline reservation number, call the cruise line to confirm details.

I have booked several trips through web agencies with no problems. I was also worried about the "block" philosophy, but it worked fine and gave us an unreal price for the last cruise (11 days ocean view to Hawaii, including air for $1200 per person).

I was very nervous and checked with the web registry to make sure that the web site was registered to a legitimate business and verified the business with the local office of the BBB (local to them, not me, as we're clear across the country) via the Internet, and made certain to pay with a credit card. Prior post was right - even with a group booking you should verify the reservation with the cruise line.

Prior post was right - even with a group booking you should verify the reservation with the cruise line.

With group bookings, the travel agency is not required to give the cruise line a rooming list until just prior to the date of final payment. Until that point, the cruise line may have no idea that you are sailing.

I have never booked directly through the site. What DH and I do is find the website that has the best offer and give that to our TA. She honors the price, so that way, we know we're in good hands. ;)I would be leery that the site would go out of business or something...:eek:

I book all of my travel on-line. Tried to get several local agencies to match pricing with no luck. I have had very good service and no problems booking on-line. The agencies I use (two that I think are the best as far as pricing) let you make final payment on-line as well.

You can always use ***** or beatanycruiseprice and get several quotes from the large agencies for your sailing.

In 2000, I went with a group booking through one of these agencies and ended up with 10 days on Infinity, balcony cabin, r/t air from Chicago and three nights hotel in Honolulu for about 1700.pp

No other agency could touch the price.

Good Luck and Happy sailing!

Donna

I booked my cruise through beatanycruiseprice and they did indeed get me a terrific price for my upcoming cruise. Spoke directly with the agent on the phone and he arranged my reservation and the cabin I requested with the cruise line (I could hear their conversation). There was a slight delay getting my cruise documents...they were sent to the wrong booking office, but after I called them, they tracked it down and over nighted them to me.

Thanks to all of you who gave me such quick replies. I'm still a little leary about booking with the TA (who works out of his home) but the internet company who he works with seems to be one of the more well known names doing only cruise business. I think that I will try to take the advise of UberCruiser and check to make sure that the web site is registered to a legitimate business. I had already called the BBB in my area to check on the TA but was told (by a recording) that they don't have a listing for him.

I think that I will also take donnajo and kpglo's advise and get quotes from ***** and beatanycruiseprice to just see how their price compares with the one I have. Thanks again!!!

My TA works out of his home also. And I have never had a problem with him. When I first started booking with him several years ago he had an office with an agency his sister owned. When she retired he decided to go on his own and work from his home. I also own a business (not travel) and I know just how much overhead is involved in owning a business-so I know how much money he saves by doing it out of his home. And I know for a fact sometimes he passes a little of those savings on to me. Plus I never have to go pick up my docs-he delivers them to me personally.

My TA who works out of her home too and I have been very pleased with her service (7 cruises over 3 years.) One thing that made me more comfortable about using her at first is that she is affiliated with one of the largest cruise agencies.

I recently booked directly with the her cruise agency because the rest of my party was doing so to save about $20/person. I will never do so again. Not only was I charged $22/person for speaking to their TA (I needed a handicap cabin), but I had to remind them to charge the final payment several days after it was due. Then by mistake, they put through one charge twice and it took me 3 weeks and four calls to get it resolved. Finally, when I called the cruise line to see the cost of an upgrade for one of the cabins, the agency tacked on $100 to the cost the cruise line quoted me. Next time, I go back to my original TA.

Archived