Transatlantic from Malaga Spain

Has anyone here done the twelve night transatlantic cruise from Malaga Spain to Miami Fl? If so, what have you done pre-cruise? For example where have you stayed, where is the airport in relation to the cruise terminal? I am trying to plan a honeymoon on this cruise and I am a little overwhelmed!!! I'm trying to avoid using a TA if I can. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! (I tried to do some searching on the boards but the search in temporarily down)

I have not done that cruise, but being spanish I think I may be able to awnser some questions. I have never traveled by plane to Málaga, so I am not sure how the airport will be. However, now there is a high speed train that you might want to check out (I don't know if the webiste for the spanish trains, http://www.renfe.es is in english, so if you want, i can look it up for you). This way, you may be also able to visit Madrid in your pre-cruise, which has some nice places to visit. Also, you might want to visit Alhambra in Granada, which is really the highlight of the area close to Málaga.

I can't think of any more advise now, but feel free to ask me anything you need. My email is currodemiguel AT yahoo.com

Regards,

Francisco

I have used Malaga airport on a regular basis and although there is a train station attached to the airport, would recommend that you get a taxi from the airport to the port if you atre going there directly- If you were staying a few days pre cruise I would suggest you rent a car from teh airport and you could visit Granada, Gibraltar and maybe even Seville or Cadiz if you were feeling a little adventurous. I know that you can fly direct from US to Malaga airport with Delta airlines if this is any use to you.

I will certainly be looking into this cruise myself as I plan to do a transatlantic next year, and Malaga is only just over an hours drive away from where I live - so thanks for the tip off.

The cruise terminal is right downtown at the harbor; the airport, which is huge because it has so many charter flights from GB and other European countries, is several miles west of the city. If you are staying in Malaga precruise, taxi from the airport is best bet. Malaga's central location on the coast makes it ideal for going to other cities like Grenada - interstate type roads all the way - same along the coast to either Marbella or Nerja. And Malaga itself is an interesting city - old cathedral, castles, bull ring. Go to your local library and check out travel guides like Fodor or Frommer for a more complete picture than these threads provide.

Last year we did the TA on Brilliance from Barcelona, and Malaga was a stop on the way. The weather on the southern route to Miami is generally good all the way and you have at least five 25 hour days!!:)

Has anyone here done the twelve night transatlantic cruise from Malaga Spain to Miami Fl? If so, what have you done pre-cruise? For example where have you stayed, where is the airport in relation to the cruise terminal? I am trying to plan a honeymoon on this cruise and I am a little overwhelmed!!! I'm trying to avoid using a TA if I can. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! (I tried to do some searching on the boards but the search in temporarily down)

Lugnut...

I saw your post about which cabin you have for the cruise...I would like to day...Howdy neighbor...We will be next door! See you in 19 months!

BILL

Did this cruise also stop in the Canary Islands? I would like to do this TA in March 2009, the itinerary looks nice and also includes places I haven't been before.

The cruise terminal is right downtown at the harbor; the airport, which is huge because it has so many charter flights from GB and other European countries, is several miles west of the city. If you are staying in Malaga precruise, taxi from the airport is best bet. Malaga's central location on the coast makes it ideal for going to other cities like Grenada - interstate type roads all the way - same along the coast to either Marbella or Nerja. And Malaga itself is an interesting city - old cathedral, castles, bull ring. Go to your local library and check out travel guides like Fodor or Frommer for a more complete picture than these threads provide.

Last year we did the TA on Brilliance from Barcelona, and Malaga was a stop on the way. The weather on the southern route to Miami is generally good all the way and you have at least five 25 hour days!!:)

No one has done this cruise before because Royal will only start using Malaga as an embarkation port this fall.

Did this cruise also stop in the Canary Islands? I would like to do this TA in March 2009, the itinerary looks nice and also includes places I haven't been before.

Yes - two ports in the Canary Islands also Madeira

Archived