Free Kids

lvisan85

Kids really aren't free. I called about it to set up a 7 day to the carribean with 3 of us. DH, DS and myself. It was $549 pp for my self and DH and would have been $499 for DS. They say youth are free but you have to pay the tax on what it would have cost. Hook,Line and Sinker.

I am looking into a Christmas cruise with MSC and was told that the first two will be $788 and my two other children (12 & 7) will pay $47 (roughly) for a 7 night cruise. Even my deposit is lower than most cruise lines. That isn't anything close to what you were quoted. I would question those rates or talk to another travel agent.

These quotes were right thru the MSC site. I set reservations for April 2009 and they called us back with those amounts . If you look in the brochure the amounts are the same. Good for you for getting a great deal.

I booked my cruise and they quoted me FREE Kids. Of course they will have to pay Governament Taxes of roughly $42. I also told my neighbors and they where quoted FREE Kids.

However you look at it to bring my KIDS on any other line I will have to pay much more than $42, so I'm sure this will be a great Vacation.... and CHEAP :D

I agree with lvisan on the cheap part. I was going to do a 4 day Carnival the first week of December and for the four of us it was going to cost me about the same as this 7 day will cost me. The difference was less than $200.

I booked my cruise and they quoted me FREE Kids. Of course they will have to pay Governament Taxes of roughly $42. I also told my neighbors and they where quoted FREE Kids.

However you look at it to bring my KIDS on any other line I will have to pay much more than $42, so I'm sure this will be a great Vacation.... and CHEAP :D

Just curious, how is this cruise line with kids activities? I have not heard anything. Does anyone know? Thanks.

I'm not sure about the kids programs personally. I have read, however that they have programs for 3-5 year olds, 7-9 year olds, 10-12 year olds and the teens. I am anxious to find someone with kids who has already been or is getting ready to go who can tell us more. On the deck layouts, there is a space that is dedicated to the children's program.

I haven´t personally cruised with MSC but several of my friends have.They had only good things to say about the ship and their kids énjoyed the kids´program.

However , we live in Brazil and people have different concepts of what is good and what is not.......If you have an open mind I think you will have a great time for a great price.

Be forewarned! MSC does NOT have good reviews. I have heard parents complain about them here so I went to read the reviews myself (looked at Lirica because of rabelgirls)...and it doesn't look good. :(

The first 2 member reviews gave them a 1. They said there is a huge language barrier for those who speak English. One review said the bedspreads were in bad shape and the couch was ripped. Another said gthat if you are used to cruising RCCL, Carnival and NCL do NOT cruise this line.

Just wanted to warn ya. Sometimes good deals for kids are great. But sometimes you do get what you pay for.

Thanks, Michelle. You are very right, sometimes you do get what you pay for. I have read everything that I can find about the Lirica. For the time being, I am keeping my ressie. I am keeping an open mind and am always still looking for a good and/or better deal. My dates can be flexible, but I really, really like the idea of cruising at Christmas. I may change my mind and go on a different line. :D

Thanks, Michelle. You are very right, sometimes you do get what you pay for. I have read everything that I can find about the Lirica. For the time being, I am keeping my ressie. I am keeping an open mind and am always still looking for a good and/or better deal. My dates can be flexible, but I really, really like the idea of cruising at Christmas. I may change my mind and go on a different line. :D

Put it this way, if going on Lirica means either cruise or NO cruise....then no doubt go on Lirica. :D And it looks like you are going into this with your eyes wide open. As long as you are prepared for the worst, then you will be pleasantly surprised. :)

And you MUST come back and give a review for us. :D

My sister-in-law just went on the Lirica in January with her fiance (both are in their late twenties). While she didn't check out the kid facilities, here's what she said about the ship overall - most passengers were in their 60ws, 70s and 80s (only one other couple in their 20s), large proportion of Europeans and a lot of the staff was Italian. There was a lot of smoking all over the ship, which bothered her. The dinners were pretty formal, very dressy and long, probably due to the large elderly population on the ship. Most nightly entertainment was geared towards older people - pianist, harpist, violin players, ballet, etc. The bed was not as comfortable as other ships she's been on (Princess and HAL). She did have a good time overall, liked the food, the ports, the polls, said the ship itself was very clean and very pretty but some of the things above may not be the best choice for kids.

MSc has mainly sailed in Europe. It used to be that kids sailed free in Europe on summer sailings. That meant many, many Italian families were onboard. Multi-generations that all dined together and kids running around the ship, etc. The kids in the youth program were primarily from Italy- so not many English speaking kids onboard.

Will it be different in the Caribbean? Probably, since most Italians aren't necessarily going to fly to the US to be on MSC.

My parents did a small, older MSC cruise from Genoa to South Africa (21 days) and LOVED it. They abhor smoking and don't gamble. They love fine dining. So this cruise must have been ok for them. Obviously there weren't any kids on this type of cruise.

Archived