Is there a good Cozumel beach for bodysurfing?

saltysailor2

A website -- I wish I could remember which one -- said,

"On the other hand, the east or "wild" side of the island (so called because there are no utilities here and therefore no development) faces the open caribbean and Cuba and often sports waves big enough for good body surfing."

The reference to bodysurfing reminds me of how much my kids enjoyed bodysurfing in Waikiki behind the Royal Hawaiian hotel.

Does anyone know of a good beach in Cozumel for bodysurfing, that isn't too dangerous for kids, and still has some facilities (food, beverages, rental equipment, etc.)? And, which we can visit but still make it back to the ship?

Would appreciate any tips. :)

S Sailor

"On the other hand, the east or "wild" side of the island (so called because there are no utilities here and therefore no development) faces the open caribbean and Cuba and often sports waves big enough for good body surfing."

While there are waves on the east side as opposed to the west side, I would not agree with the bodysurfing statement. The waves are often to small to effectively body surf. That plus the bottom is not mostly sand but ironshore(a calcified coral rock with lots of sharp edges) would make me think twice about body surfing there.

I just got back from 11 days in Coz last week and Hurricane Ivan did a number on the east side beaches from big wave action. What sand was there has been moved around and washed out and the bottom has changed a good bit. Once things return to normal there will be a big potential for rip currents and other odd currents as the beaches come to a new equilibrium.

Not trying to scare you but, unless you and your kids are all experienced confident ocean swimmers I think you may want to find something else to do for your day. There are a couple of beaches(playa bonita and chen rio that offer the amenities- though primitive) you are looking for. Plus they have protected cove like beaches for wading/playing in the water, but without body surfing.

Have a great time

Rich

When I asked about boogie boarding on the West side, I received plenty of responses, almost all of them said that going in the water more than knee deep on the West side was unsafe and that people, even very good adult swimmers, die because they got caught in a current and pulled under. I still want to boogie board, but being safe and alive is more important, especially when my kids are concerned.

Let us know what you find out and decide what you are going to do.

About the only surfing/body-surfing spot on Cozumel is at Punta Morena. It's not much compared to California or Hawaii, et al, but there are sometimes surfers there. It's just south of the east end of the cross-island road.

Here's a link to an interactive Cozumel map of beaches:

http://cozumelmexico.net/Cozumel-Beaches.html

Archived