Departing Southampton tips wanted

pkfamily

If you have followed our threads you will know we are new to cruising and would like to know if there is anything we can do in Southampton as we will arrive around 11AM.

What is the earliest time to book in and what tips have you got for booking in or what is available whilst waiting?

Many thanks Paul

I would delay my approach into Southampton and have a pit-stop for 3/4hr aiming to arrive at docks at around 11.45am..... check-in desks open at noon (despite saying 2pm in brochure) and many people know this - ie. all the regular cruisers....

We stop at a mcdonalds/petrol station just outside Southampton and have a toilet break and coffee/put car sticker in window. A little tip, I buy a pint of milk here, put in my hand luggage bag, and then into fridge onboard...for coffee and tea in cabin. As the cabin only has those horrible long life pots of 'milk'. I hate tea made with them.... this pinta will last 4 or so days until first port of call where it can be replenished.

When you drive into docks - all dock gates and ships clearly signposted with illuminated signs.... a car park attendant will direct you to pull up infront of arrivals (you have booked your car park space with CPS haven't you??)

When you pull up, and get out, porter arrives , you open boot, and he will load all your luggage onto a trolley and whisk it away, this happens very fast, on my first cruise he even took my hand luggage weekender case which had no luggage label on and was full of my valuables and my winebox !

Then a cps clipboard person will fill out a car form, and you sign it, they take your car keys and drive away your car and park it in a secure compound for the cruise duration. After the cruise you produce this piece of paper at a kiosk in the car park to get your car keys and go to your car - they will tell you which row it is in. So don't forget to look after this form -lock it in your cabin safe with your passports and currency .

Now you are car-less and luggage -less, except for your hand luggage, and perhaps a suit carrier if you wish to carry-on your best clothes.

You go into arrival hall and queue, the queue will be quite long but moves quickly. You will need a credit card, passports and tickets at this stage. As your credit card with be activated to open your ONBOARD ACCOUNT card for all purchases onboard the ship.

Any questions ask away:cool:

Sue

As always Libra lass the information is great and helps us plan the day.

If CPS is the free car parking booked with P and O then yes we have booked with them.

Good advice on the milk as we drink lots of tea and hate long life milk.

Do you go into an aircraft type lounge before departure?

Many many thanks we are only 19 weeks away now.

Paul

Hi

No the trend now is to go straight onboard - no hanging around in the waiting lounge....after you have checked in, you are ushered along, have your 'boarding photo' taken = smile !!, hand luggage scanned, then onto the ship for lunch ....we have been onboard by 12.45pm the last few times... around 1.30pm a announcement is made that 'cabins are ready' and you can go and unpack.

I go along to laundry and iron out a few packing creases then on hubbies shirts - while laundry is empty, then we book the Arcadian Rhodes restaurant and we are all set for muster and sailaway!

Sue x

We have been into the ' Departure Lounge' where there is limited sandwichs and hot drinks for sale. But now they get you on board earlier about noon. However the coachs arrive early so they must be seated in the Dept Lounge still. You will be looked after.... our friends arrived at 8 am and where shown the staff carpark to wait in unti CPS started booking in cars. The ship arrives about 6.30 and there are dock side staff from then on hand. However there is nothing around the docks in the way of shops or Cafes so I would get something to eat and read on route then if you are hanging about its not so bad.

Please be aware that on some occasions the 'departure lounge' is still used before boarding - we had about 1/2 hour's wait in there last summer before baording Oceana.

Also, please be aware of ongoing roadworks on the M27 approaching Southam,pton from Eastleigh (the main route into Southampton from the M3/A3 and so most of the south east of England!!) This means there may well be severe delays and so late arrivals compared to your plans.

And another point for arrivals - the coaches last July were mostly arriving about 2pm so the queue did get markedly worse for a time after that.

I am planning on arriving about 11:30am when I go off on Ventura in 2 weeks time - traffic permitting.

Feebee_71 :)

Again thanks to all who have taken the time to reply our questions. As I have said in previous threads if the people on our Western Med cruise in July on Oriana are as helpful as you have all been I am sure all the family will have a great time.

By the way does anyone know of good sites to view photos of on board?

again many thanks

Paul:D

There is so much really helpful stuff on here..thanks so much!

We are on Oceana April 11th...first time with P&O and first time from Southampton so really do appreciate all the info.

Just one more thing though, we are hoping our Son and Daughter-in-law will see us off and wonder where would be the best place for them to be...we will be leaving from Queen Elizabeth dock.

Thanks again!

thereare not that many places which you can see from - but if you are leaving in daylight (depends on your sailaway time) - they could go down to the park - think it was the royal victoria park at netley and then walk through to the waters edge. If you are on the left of the ship as you sail, you will see the park and waters edge, quite clearly

"We have been into the ' Departure Lounge' where there is limited sandwichs and hot drinks for sale. But now they get you on board earlier about noon."

We had to wait an hour and a half in November (no water or snacks left) but this was because of the Norovirus problem on Oriana. They had to deep clean the ship before we could board.

Prepare for the worst (take some snacks with you) and hope for the best( lunch on board!)

Caryl

Archived