British first time snorkler

heathero

Hi All,

I am flying in on Saturday 3rd Jan (ok I know it a long time away, but already very excited) and spending the night at a Miami hotel the night before. We don’t know which one yet and will only know nearer the time. And then we have a transfer from the hotel to the Cruise ship in the morning.

I want to do a little snorkeling, but only the odd hour here and there included in the islands sight seeing tours. I imagine that English dive shops are very expensive.

Do I

a) Buy from our local dive shop at English prices

b) Test out at the dive shop and buy online from international dive shops

c) Buy from Miami Dive store on Saturday evening (if I can find one open after 5pm and can get to it)

d) Test out what I like at our local shop and get a Miami Dive shop to deliver to the hotel on Saturday

d) Buy from K’mart/Target and other large supermarket near the hotel

e) Use the tour operator’s kit, it only for an hour or so…

Any suggestions

Thanks

Heather

Do I

a) Buy from our local dive shop at English prices

b) Test out at the dive shop and buy online from international dive shops

c) Buy from Miami Dive store on Saturday evening (if I can find one open after 5pm and can get to it)

d) Test out what I like at our local shop and get a Miami Dive shop to deliver to the hotel on Saturday

e) Buy from K’mart/Target and other large supermarket near the hotel

f) Use the tour operator’s kit, it only for an hour or so…

Any suggestions

Thanks

Heather

Hi Heather,

I'd say a) and c) are out, with the rate of the dollar to the pound buying snorkel gear in the U.S. would be substantially cheaper and no you won't find a dive shop open past 5pm (interferes with the evening happy hour). :p

b) might work but still it will be more expensive than buying in the U.S. A version of d) might work best. If you can find what fits you best locally, instead of ordering it locally you could order it from a U.S. internet dive shop; leisurepro, scubatoys, scuba, divers direct (all .com) and have the kit shipped to your U.S. hotel (if you call the hotel in advance and let them know you are shipping it there they're very good about holding post for you (I do this all the time with business materials)). I'd purchase these using next day or two day delivery to be delivered at least two days before you arrive as this would guarantee you'd get your kit on time (ground or best post available may take any where from a week to 10 days so I'd avoid this (you're saving lots of money anyway so you can afford the higher priced postage ;) ). Also you didn't say whether you'd have a rental car or not. If you do, there are several retail divers shops in the Miami/homestead area (divers direct, world water sports) but the cost of travel and rental is probably prohibative for the cost of the kit you're looking at.

Finally e) (which you had labeled d) a second time) and f) are fall backs but be aware they both have "generic" equipment so the fit isn't guaranteed and water filled masks may occur. Anyway, you have a few months to sort this out :) and hope you have a wonderful experience.

Cheers,

Randall

You doubled down on the d), so I'll stay with you and say e) is the winner.

You're a beginner and don't even know if you'll like snorkeling.

Use the snorkel tour operator's gear. If you really end up loving it, buy mask/snorkel at that port. Ask the operator. Many have new equipment on offer, or he'll know where you can buy locally.

If you buy, do it where you can have the mask properly fitted. Nothing worse than one that's a poor fit and won't seal properly. That's guaranteed to happen if it's either too big or too small for your face.

I'll offer option f): Some cruise ships rent gear. Princess, for example, rents out a set at $25/week. You'll get a proper fit and some practice on board in the swimming pool.

Whatever you decide as to gear, do a little reseacrh and book your snorkel trip(s) with independent operator(s). You'll get a decent fit with the mask/snorkel, and a much better experience. Most ship snorkel trips are nothing but a cattle call.

Enjoy. There's a whole nuther world beneath the waves. :)

Since this is your first time, don't think you should buy your own equipment yet. What if you don't enjoy it? It would be hard to sell used snorkel gear, even on ebay:)

Suggest you book a tour and use the tour operaters gear- then, buy your own for future trips.

• 3 months later...

I've used the tour operator's equipment in the past.

It's okay, but I agree with the previous poster that you should find out if you like snorkeling before considering purchasing equipment.

Here is a snorkeling tip for men with facial hair:

Smear petroleum jelly (Vaseline) over your mustache to form a better seal for your mask.

Here is a snorkeling tip for men with facial hair:

Smear petroleum jelly (Vaseline) over your mustache to form a better seal for your mask.

Sorry, I'd have to disagree. Over time vaseline will break down the silcon in the mask causing the skirting (that soft flap on the inside of the mask) to get discolored and harden making the mask leak. There are safer "sealants" for facial hair on the market, and being a guy with a short beard and mustache, I find just keeping it trimmed, finding a mask that fits my face contours and careful placement over my face works fine. No gunky stuff on my face. :eek:

Randall

Archived