Sea Spi Tour

PAMWANTSTOCRUISE

• 2 weeks later...

I had a great time on it with my family. I did it through Carnival. You might save a few bucks booking it direct through the company but not much.

The mini watercrafts are operated by using a joystick. The tour takes you to certain areas where you wil see things. We saw some stingrays among other things.

We did it in December with Royal Caribbean (ultimately run through the same operator though), and it was okay. Unfortunately, we didn't see as many fish as we expected - mostly tiny tropical fish. We also got quite uncomfortable laying on our stomachs for so long (it was around 1 hour on the sea spi) and ended up sitting up and bending over to look through the viewing window. Lastly, my friend said "good thing it ended when it did - I was feeling really sea-sick", and I agreed with her. All in all though, it WAS an interesting experience, and considering we're both non-swimmers and are uncomfortable in deep water, it was good for us!

If you are able to swim, you may prefer snorkeling as an alternative. I think next time I would try one of the semi-submarines or partially submerged boats instead, however we ARE glad we did it as it was an interesting experience.

Thanks for the info.

I would love to snorkel but my kids wouldn't.

I'll have to think about this for a while longer.

thanks again.

How old are your kids? I think they'd probably enjoy it. The Sea-Spi's there are all for 2 people, so they could actually drive it themselves with the little joystick (they are very easy to control).

I think I would have enjoyed it more if we'd seen more fish or other sea-life. I do however, think we hit an off-week. It was the week after a tropical storm, and the seas were quite rough, so perhaps everyone was hiding! :) Nonetheless, it was a neat experience.

It looks like you still have a few months until your cruise. I would spend that time looking at other excursions and reviews, and then go from there!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks for the info.

I would love to snorkel but my kids wouldn't.

I'll have to think about this for a while longer.

thanks again.

We did it last Summer. My kids are now 8 & 10 and both will be getting snorkeling lessons in Antigua. But we saw great stuff with the Sea Spis and the kids got a kick out of it. I let my youngest have the controls at the joy stick for a while too.

My kids will be 7 and 10 at the time of the cruise (both girls) and not really very adventurous. icon10.gif

They're doing a dolphin excursion in Cozumel so I thought beach and/or sea spi in Caymen.

In the pictures it looks like they are pretty close to the ships. Is that true? How deep is the water? I'm assuming they provide life jackets?

Thanks to everyone for their opinions.

I really appreciate it

My kids will be 7 and 10 at the time of the cruise (both girls) and not really very adventurous. icon10.gif

They're doing a dolphin excursion in Cozumel so I thought beach and/or sea spi in Caymen.

In the pictures it looks like they are pretty close to the ships. Is that true? How deep is the water? I'm assuming they provide life jackets?

Thanks to everyone for their opinions.

I really appreciate it

They do provide lifejackets. They are not close to any ships. The tour is guided. The watercrafts don't move too fast. The water is deep. Mine were 9 & 7 last year. I teamed up with my 7-year old son and my wife teamed up with my 9-year old daughter.

The crafts are easy to operate. I let my son use the joystick to stear our craft for a few minutes and he loved it. I think this is a great excursion for kids who aren't ready to snorkel or a first step toward that. This year we're giving them both snorkeling lessons in Antigua (Eli's excursion) and I would say that after the Sea Spi, they wanted to get that much closer to swimming with fish. Also, you'll have plenty of time for the beach, lunch, or anything else after the tour.

We had prebooked the Sea Spi excursion through Carnival for our Legend cruise next month, and I just received an email from Carnival today that the excursion has been cancelled "due to operator canceling operation.. " I don't know if they mean 'cancelling operation' altogether, or just cancelling their contract with Carnival, but I'm bummed. :(

We had prebooked the Sea Spi excursion through Carnival for our Legend cruise next month, and I just received an email from Carnival today that the excursion has been cancelled "due to operator canceling operation.. " I don't know if they mean 'cancelling operation' altogether, or just cancelling their contract with Carnival, but I'm bummed. :(

Oh no....we are leaving on Saturday on Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas. We are in Grand Cayman next wednesday and this is what we had booked. I hope they aren't cancelling as we are looking forward to it. I'm sorry you aren't able to go on it...:(

Erin

• 1 year later...

Has anyone done the sea spi tour lately? We have been on the semi sub and will snorkel alot on our next cruise but I think this would be interesting as it is different. I would like to hear form anyone who has gone in grand Cayman recently on this excursion.

Archived