Couple in 30's - first cruise to SA, which countries do you suggest to visit?

errie6

Hi,

We've only been to Costa Rica on a one day stop from a Panama Canal Cruise and loved it. We wanted to visit more countries in South America, but before deciding on a cruise...which countries did you like best? I'm looking into Peru (for Machu Picchu - is that worth it?) and maybe Argentina (Buenos Aires). We live in California and are a young couple in our 30's so we like to go somewhere there's plenty of nice things to see/do. We might even start out going somewhere before cruising if need be. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Also, we are both fluent in Spanish if that helps any. Thanks, Erika

Hi,

We've only been to Costa Rica on a one day stop from a Panama Canal Cruise and loved it. We wanted to visit more countries in South America, but before deciding on a cruise...which countries did you like best? I'm looking into Peru (for Machu Picchu - is that worth it?) and maybe Argentina (Buenos Aires). We live in California and are a young couple in our 30's so we like to go somewhere there's plenty of nice things to see/do. We might even start out going somewhere before cruising if need be. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Also, we are both fluent in Spanish if that helps any. Thanks, Erika

We have only been to Argentina, so can only comment on that. Buenos Aires is clearly one of the great cities of the world, one very European in style and culture. Of course the Tango shows are worth seeing.

Iguazu Falls is one of the seven natural wonders of the world. Imagine 100s of Niagara Falls set in a jungle. It is located about 2 hours by air north of Buenos Aires and is definitely worth two nights. The Sheraton is located in the national park. As such there are no opening and closing time restrictions for guests of the hotel. The colors and wildlife change throughout the day.

We have been to Colonia, Uruguay, which is certainly worth a day trip from Buenos Aires by ferry.

Our cruise begins in Valparaiso, Chile. We will be staying in Santiago for a few days prior to the cruise. Our first time in Chile, we will be looking forward to rides into the Andes as well as the Chilean fjords.

Peru is definitely worth it. We have been to Manchu Picchu twice and would go again. At your age, you should plan to spend more than one afternoon as there are a lot of places you could hike to around the ruins for even more fantastic sites.

Depending on what you like to do, Chile is also a very interesting and varied country. The southern part is full of lakes and mountains and lots of outdoor activities.

We also love Argentina. Buenos Aires is a beautiful city but the entire country offers quite a variety. We spent 4 days in Mendoza enjoying the wine country but would go back because of the many activities we didn't get to do.

What do you like? Are you "city people" or "outdoorsy" people?

Fluency in spanish will be a great help! Even just a little spanish goes a long way.

We thought Machu Piccu was worth every penny and the pain of altitude sickness in Cuzco. We are thinking of going back because we didn't feel like we had enough time there. A ship's excursion is too short.

Chile is beautiful. The wine country is fabulous. The terrain varies greatly from north to south and there is all kinds of things to see and places to go depending on what you like. High desert in the north with petroglyphs and geoglyphs. Santiago is a very friendly city. Valpariaso is interesting. The coast beyond Vina del Mar is stunning. Puerto Montt and Punta Arenas also have many interesting and beautiful sights.

We plan to go back to Chile for a third time, some day. The people are very friendly and there is just so much to see!

We loved San Telmo in Buenos Aires but we don't care much for cities and the rest of BA was just another dirty city to us.(dog poo everywhere on the sidewalks!:mad: )

We thought the Falkland Islands Volunteer Point visit was one of the highlights of our trip, but we enjoyed everwhere.

Rio is an interesting place- beautiful and many "must sees" there.

We visited an estancia in Uruguay outside of Montevideo and that also was a wonderful experience.

Let's say I'm limited on time to visiting some areas (as in maybe I have an extra 7-10 days to do just on land)...which would be better to do on my own? Also, would you recommend that I go with a tour company to book or is it usually manageable to do on your own? I am located in Los Angeles, and I'm being quoted about $2000 per person for 10 days to visit Peru and Argentina (airfare, hotel, breakfast, and some tours). :)

I think South America is one of the most fascinating parts of our world. The choices of places to visit are magnificent.

We have been to venezuela before and really enjoyed our time there. We spent time in a nice resort hotel on Margarita Island and also on the mainland, where we visited the Canaima NP including Angel Falls.

Next week we are going to Brazil, visiting Rio, Salvador, Macieo, and Reciefe. Next year we are cruising the Panama Canal via Cartagena, Colombia. So these visits should give us different views of this fascinating continent again.

The must see for me in the continent will have to be Peru / Bolivia. I would love to take the train to La Paz, visit Lake Titicaca and of course Manchu Pinchu.

If I had to choose only one place to visit, it would be Machu Picchu.

I would spend at least 2 days in Cusco the see the area there, and at least 2 days at Machu Picchu.

If money were no option, I would stay at the Monastario in Cusco (that is where we stayed last time) and at the Sanctuary lodge at Machu Picchu.

If you can't afford the Sanctuary lodge, you should stay in Aguas Calientes.

If you don't stay overnight, you only get about 4 hours at the park and it is not enough time to really experience it.

Well, it's been figured at least to include Peru! I'm thinking of including Buenos Aires too, unless you guys can recommend otherwise. Anyone know of any companies that can put (cheap) packages together or is it best to do on my own (or even manageable)? I already priced airfares from LAX to the different cities as quoted on an itinerary I was given by one company. Any and all hints/advice is greatly appreciated. :) Actually is it safe to do on my own is also important.

Archived