Places for a runner to run on Grand Cayman?

adavidw

Hi all,

We're doing a Western Caribbean cruise on Mariner of the Seas the first week in June that stops in Cozumel. I'll be right in the middle of training for a marathon at the time, and would like to at least attempt to keep up with my training while on the cruise.

Are there any runners here that know of any good place to run on Grand Cayman, like a good route or a running trail?

I could always hit the treadmill or the running track on the ship, but if I'm doing a long run of 14 miles, that's a lot of time to be on a treadmill. Also, if my previous experience with the running tracks on ships is any indication, I'll be spending more time dodging clueless passengers than actually putting in good time.

If no one knows of any specific place to go, would anyone want to comment on whether or not they feel it would be safe to just find a road and start running?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

-Aaron

Running is a fairly popular means of exercise here with regularly organized road races. Much of the running is in the early morning hours to take advantage of cooler temperatures, lesser traffic, and available free time.

Many runners take advantage of the views along South Sound Road and it is a popular running locale. However, you should note there are no sidewalks in that area.

As we drove past the 7 Mile Beach area of hotels, condos and the like, I notices straight, flat, side walked areas along the road. Many people we out walking and jogging, it was a breezy day and quite nice. Along the way are nice stretches of beach to look at the views. Wished I was out walking and not in a mini-van.

• 1 month later...

My wife is in a wheelchair and not getting on a tender, so a run is something I would like to do in order to take a quick look at the island. Is the south sound road reasonably close to the pier?

Archived