Memorable Moments on the QE2

Shipping Out

Hi Abby Ruth,

Yes, I felt strangely alone aboard the Norway, mid-Atlantic on 9/11. We didn't see land for five days (Greenock, finally). Our Norwegian captain was very kind, and held two memorial services in the theater. The passengers were American, British, French, and other nationalities.

The ship flag was flown at half-mast.

Your experience with Captain Wright sounds just right. I've been aboard QE2 when he was captain, and he was very warm and welcoming to all of us.

My first crossing on the QE2 was westbound, December 1999, four Force 10 storms in five days. Marvelous! Waves crashing against floor-to-ceiling windows, seven decks above the ocean. All one could hope for.

Searainbow

• 2 weeks later...

Memories of the QE2. Well, its this very ship which caused my love for ships in general, back when it was gleaming new and I a young boy back in the early 70s. After my university studies for some time I hadn´t the money to travel on her, then I still felt to be too young for some time, and when that passed, I married - a wonderful woman who hates to step on any kind of boat. I offered her a honeymoon on the QE2, no way. So for more than 10 years I´ve not been on a cruise.

After several more efforts to catch her I finally gave up, and decided to go alone, because otherwise I would never be able to sail on my beloved ship, which now and then, I had only seen a few times at least, on trips to Southampton during my regular visits to London or holidays in the UK, or in the dock at Hamburg.

So I finally booked a cruise to Spain and Portugal, from which I´ve just returned two weeks ago. And it was worth every penny. From the very first moment I loved to be on board, its just such a special ship. The majestic QM2 may be grander, the QV´s Interior prettier - the QE2 with all its history is still the Beauty Queen of the Oceans. In every port that was what I thought when I returned to the ship. The atmosphere on board is indeed very special, very British. So comforting, relaxing. And I was surprised that I really enjoyed to dress up for the evening, me, who usually likes the casual way. Although I "only" travelled in Mauretania class, food and service were beyond any criticism. I was surprised that on a ship to be retired in 6 months all carpets appeared to be new. The only thing where you could really notice the Queens age was the almost constant creaking of the cabin at sea. Nothing to complain about, though. Wherever we went, talking to local people always prompted Ahs and Ohs, admiration for the QE2.

It´ll be very sad to see her go, being on board I thought that she could easily soldier on for another decade.

For me that 8 night cruise meant that my love for this kind of travel was reborn, and even if without my wife, I´ll surely go on a cruise again soon, a Cunard cruise with the QM2 to be precise.

• 4 months later...

Having remembered reading the accounts of some of the true QE2 lovers on this site, I thought it might be appropriate to bring this thread back to the forefront for sharing memories of the ship. And to the naysayers, please let those who truly have a connection to this ship enjoy their journey down memory lane.

Archived