The Big U aboard Mary!!

Just incase anyone is intersted The SS United States Conservancy will be premiering their new documentary about the Big U aboard the RMS Queen Mary on May 3rd. We most certainly will be attending :D

Here's the link for info.

http://ssunitedstatesconservancy.org/SSUS/Home.html

Betsy

Hi Betsy

There's a slight irony in this - the launch of a film promoting the conservation of the liner that succeeded the Mary as fastest on the Atlantic .... onboard the Mary herself.

Glad you're still bothering with us on the dark side - some of us love the Mary too (my memories of her go back to the 50's and 60's in Southampton!!) ;)

Ken

There's a slight irony in this
That's kind of what I thought too Ken.:D

After the the United States took the Blue Ribband from Mary this is what the Commodores of each liner said to one another:

Commodore Manning, 'sorry to have to pass you like this', to which Commodore Harry Grattidge made what I thought was a marvelous reply. He sent another signal back, he said, 'it's quite alright. A real lady never likes to be seen in fast company.

http://www.plimsoll.org/resources/SCCOralHistory/19422.asp

I wish I could go, but I'm on the opposite coast.:(

Well, I guess I'll have to see the film when it makes it's way to wherever it will show.

It will be showing on PBS after May 3rd I believe. You can probably check your local PBS listings for day and time.

Betsy

The Queen Mary was launched in 1936 & the SS United States in 1952. They were from different generations, so the SS United States taking the Blue Riband should have been no sleight on the Queen Mary. The younger generation was just taking over.

My understanding was that the SS United States was not just a liner but was built for military purposes. She was heavily subsidised by the US government & deliberately built smaller with an overpowered engine so that she would make a very fast troopship if needed. The conditions laid down by the US government made it very difficult to sell her or preserve her later. I believe that she is a rusting hulk now & beyond preservation.

Graham.

The Queen Mary was launched in 1936 & the SS United States in 1952. They were from different generations, so the SS United States taking the Blue Riband should have been no sleight on the Queen Mary. The younger generation was just taking over.

My understanding was that the SS United States was not just a liner but was built for military purposes. She was heavily subsidised by the US government & deliberately built smaller with an overpowered engine so that she would make a very fast troopship if needed. The conditions laid down by the US government made it very difficult to sell her or preserve her later. I believe that she is a rusting hulk now & beyond preservation.

Graham.

SS United States is indeed rusting away here in the states, in Philadelphia. I've seen if from the highway everytime I pass through since the 90's when it was towed back after another attempt to put it back in service failed, but all of the asbestos was removed. The huge twin stacks are hard to miss, even with much of the paint missing. This website below has an excellent description on the history, design, and current state of the ship.

http://www.ssunitedstates.org/theship.htm

The ship's ties to Cunard are interesting. Thomas makes reference to her aluminum construction in his Heritage Trail lecture on QE2. SS United States is currently owned by NCL and many believe her fate is in peril. Look how Colin Veitch of NCL handled the disposal of the Norway. Here's a link to an interview with the two people responsible for the new documentary. It's the Big Ship Films interview. They give a glimmer of hope that the ship will be either put back in service or made into some sort of museum, either of which are better than the beaches of Alang.

http://www.ssunitedstates.org/theship.htm

-KenM

Ken, thank you for the info. on the United States.

I truly hope she gets the help she needs. She, like Mary, are true treasures.

Betsy

Betsy, your most welcome. It truly is a sad sight to see the faded stacks from the highway and after the demise of the Norway and all of NCL's woes, it seems that all hope for a refit of the ship are gone. Liners are my passion. My thoughts are that as a museum, what is left of the ship will not make it since the interiors are gutted. I suppose it could have interiors recreated though. Retrofitted as some sort of retro ocean liner experience cruiser, maybe. I suspect that the ship's heart, the massive steam plant, which I have read has been expertly mothballed and could be reactivated, would prove very uneconomical and impractical to operate, which NCL intended to do-return the ship to service. This would require a transplant ala QE2 in '87 and even more money which is doubtful NCL can support as this time. If they try to sneak the ship out and off to the breakers for scrap, there will be an outcry and this new movie should raise awareness of the ship.

On my list of things to do is a visit and overnight stay the Mary, a true liner and fine example of Art Deco design. When I see a good bargain on cross country airfare, I plan to take a long weekend to Long Beach. :)

Do make that trip to stay on the Queen Mary & enjoy all that she has to offer. You might find it quieter to visit during the week however. I imagine that there could be a lot more 'revelry' at the weekend.

Graham.

Archived