14 month old on plane

Thatmom

Sincerely, this is not the place to ask this question. Your child is an individual unlike any other child, and you really need to call your child's pediatrician and ask this question. Only your doctor will know what's best for your child, not strangers on a message board.

Sincerely, this is not the place to ask this question. Your child is an individual unlike any other child, and you really need to call your child's pediatrician and ask this question. Only your doctor will know what's best for your child, not strangers on a message board.

Well we did ask his Dr. He said the only think he would say is give him a bottle to suck..

I didn't look as this as asking strangers..I looked at it like maybe some wise Mom or Grandmothers had some idea that might help besides a bottle which he doesn't have anymore...

If anyone gave us advice we would make a decision whether we would try it or not..I'm this little guys Aunt and I just thought maybe there could be an old wise tale that might work!!!

I told his Mom I would ask on here because we have so many families that can give some really good advice.

I think I resent your tone in your reply...

Carla

With any type of cold, there will be a lot of congestion. I know that even when I feel well, I cannot fly without taking a decongestant. If I don't it will feel like knives are stabbing me in the ears......and it is worse when I have a cold. I would ask the pediatrician about taking a small dose of a decongestant prior to takeoff. I don't know if sucking on a bottle will do the trick in this case. JMHO.

Well we did ask his Dr. He said the only think he would say is give him a bottle to suck..

I didn't look as this as asking strangers..I looked at it like maybe some wise Mom or Grandmothers had some idea that might help besides a bottle which he doesn't have anymore...

I think you're very wise to ask for help from 'been there, done that parents' - doctors don't have all the answers...

I would get him a sippy cup - one that requires him to suck. Don't give him any water or juice before the flight, so he's nice and thirsty when you take off...then do the same thing about a hour before you land. I think landing is the hardest on ears.

Also, keep some Motrin handy. If you anticipate him having pain, give him a dose before the flight. He'll be ready for another dose 6 hours later, which should be just before you land. I don't give my kids Benedryl or decongestants...too much potential for trouble, IMO.

And, encourage lots of water and watered down juice because the plane's air is so dry. Be sure to offer him lots of liquids before and after the flight too as this will help with his congestion.

Oh, one more suggestion. Use a humidifier in his room the night before your flight...and after the flight, if possible. This will help him wake up with a clear or at least clearer head and be ready for his flight.

Good luck with your trip.

Thanks everyone,

I want to thank all of you for your help.

No he hasn't been on airplane before. I'm going to send all thses posts to his Mother and let her make the decision of what to try...

We fly out thursday night!! Maybe he will be well by than..

thanks,

Carla

Hi...mom of 3 (32,28,and 13) and have done child care for 30+ years!

I'd definately take something to suck on....a cup, a nukie (if one still exists), maybe try a sugarfree sucker anything to keep his jaw moving up and down.

Bring some small things to distract him...a book (touch and feel books are great), some small toy that he hasn't seen before.

I would also try a Natural store. We've got homeopathic products that are wonderful for our daughter. I don't like the idea of drugging the child...UNLESS absolutly necessary. Usually the employees will help you with what you need.

Do you have a small DVD player? Baby Einstein or others may help distract him.

I think this is WONDERFUL that you're taking on this experience!!!! Be patient...it will all work out and he will LOVE you sooooo much.

Archived