NCL Wind Hawaii Excursions?

RPV

First time on the board! Can anyone give any info on the following excursions?
Napali Beach - Waipi'o Valley ATV Tour - Pearl Harbor & USS Mossouri - Valley Waterfall Hiking Adventure - Tubing the ditch expedition. I would like to hear if anyone has done any of these. Going in March 2005

We've been to Hawaii on a land vacation. Stayed on Maui with a day trip to Oahu for the day. We rented a car at the Oahu airport and drove to the USS Arizona memorial. There is no charge for entrance. They will give you a color coded tag when you come in. Try to get there early otherwise there is a long wait for your color to be called. We went about 10:00 am and waited an hour. While you wait they have a small musuem and court yard to go through.

Once your color is called they usher you into a movie theater for a 15 min. presenation of the bombing of Pearl Harbor, then you get on a water shuttle and they take you to the Memorial. We stayed for approx. 30 minutes and then they shuttle you back.

The Bowfin submarine and shuttle to the USS Missouri is across the parking lot from the USS Arizona Memorial. You can buy the shuttle tickets at the entrance to the Bowfin sub. The USS Missouri is set up like a museum and you can either wander around on your own or pay extra for a guided tour. The guided tour will take you to unaccess areas than just touring on your own can't go. The Galley area is open with a full snack bar. We had lunch there and it wasn't too bad. The shuttle comes back to pick you up every hour. You can also tour the Bowfin Sub, but we ran out of time and had to get back to the airport. In all it took about 4 hours. We drove down to Waikiki Beach just to say we've been there and took some pics. It is a long way in heavy traffic from the Memorial.

When we went (Feb., 2003), they did not allow bags, strollers, purses, back packs, fanny packs, cell phones, etc. in the Memorial. There is a storge facility in the parking lot that will hold your stuff for a charge. I was allowed to carry in my camara, but no camera bag. It was a very moving experience and worth the effort.

Our pic page: [url]http://community.webshots.com/user/kvrlvn[/url]

I didn't do any of the other excursions, but I would highly recommend Napali Beach. They limit the number of people who go there and it is much bigger, nicer beach than the main one. The only downfall is that the food and bathrooms are on the main beach (of course, you can still get drinks on Napali if you choose, but just a reminder - there is no bathroom!). There is also a little bit of a walk (10-15 minutes) from the tender drop-off to the beach. But there is a tender that goes between the main beach and Napali so you can go over to the main beach for the barbecue, etc. But Napali is much more unspoiled and you feel like you have your own island out there. I think that if I had just gone to the main beach, I would have been disappointed with Fanning Island. It was just too crowded and there really wasn't much of a beach. It's well worth the $20.

We were on the Wind in August. The Napali Beach excursion was nice. It was not so crowded and there were plenty of chairs on the beach. You could walk out as far as you would want to because it is shallow for a long way. The tender for Napali Beach starts running early and you can stay there for a short time or for a longer time.

I'm not sure if you mean the Rainforest and Waterfall Hiking adventure on Maui or not. We went on that and think of it as one of our best shore excursions of the trip. There were several small groups transported in vans with a guide for about every 9 people. The place that we went was very isolated. Sandwiches and drinks were provided. Everyone packed in their own. The most time consuming part of the excursion is the trip to where the trail and waterfall are located. The drive, however, is spectacular. The guides were super. Now the part that requires consideration. It is rated considerable amount of physical activity and it really means it. The hike to the waterfall is down. The hike back out is UP. The trail is not highly developed. Don't let me scare you too much but be prepared for some heavy exertion. I have arthritis and found it somewhat challenging. I also found it worth the effort. We had a fantastic time.

We also took the Kanikapila sunset sail on Maui. It was very pleasant and enjoyable. The buffet was not quiet as spacious as I imagined from the description but it was good simple food. The thing that makes this a nice excursion is the wonderful crew and scenery. It is relaxing and of course the sunset was perfect.

I hope that you enjoy your trip as much as we did.

Archived