NCL Dawn- scooter questions

oLEEander

Obviously I've sailed on the Dawn before, but since I'm AB I have to admit I didn't pay attention to some of the details thatI now have questions about. I'm hoping theres a few folks who can help me out now. I'll be sailing with my mother who is booked in a regular stateroom. She believes the Handicap Access rooms should be saved for those who are more limited than she is. She has limited mobility as she wears a full leg brace. Currently she's planning on renting an electric scooter.

Will the regular staterooms allow access with the scooter?

In the past I've seen the scooters charging in corners (on the Dawn) by the elevators. Would these be the ones that couldn't fit through stateroom doors perhaps?

Do you need a converter to charge the scooters, and if so could you recommend a specific type or brand?

Has anyone had any experience with renting a scooter? Any preferences, tips on what to look for, questions to ask, etc?

Can someone walk me through the muster drill with wheelchairs and or scooters? I know you're not suppose to use the elevators during the drill? Is there assistance available for people who have mobility issues?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Obviously I've sailed on the Dawn before, but since I'm AB I have to admit I didn't pay attention to some of the details thatI now have questions about. I'm hoping theres a few folks who can help me out now. I'll be sailing with my mother who is booked in a regular stateroom. She believes the Handicap Access rooms should be saved for those who are more limited than she is. She has limited mobility as she wears a full leg brace. Currently she's planning on renting an electric scooter.

call the special needs department and ask them. Then you'll know for sure.

In the past I've seen the scooters charging in corners (on the Dawn) by the elevators. Would these be the ones that couldn't fit through stateroom doors perhaps? When we were on the Dawn scooters were not allowed to be left in hallways. Call and ask or you may be disappointed.

Do you need a converter to charge the scooters, and if so could you recommend a specific type or brand? If you are renting a scooter from carevacations, or another vendor, they come with the charger. You need to bring a heavy duty extension cord in case the electric outlet is not in a convienent place. We always bring one, but since we reserve a handicapped cabin, we've never needed the extension cord.

Has anyone had any experience with renting a scooter? Any preferences, tips on what to look for, questions to ask, etc? check out www.carevactions.com.

Can someone walk me through the muster drill with wheelchairs and or scooters? I know you're not suppose to use the elevators during the drill? Is there assistance available for people who have mobility issues? you will be allowed to use the elevators during muster. go early to the muster area, bring a drink with an umbrella, and hang out after the drill to let the crowds disapate. No problems.

see if you can get a HC cabin. the grab bars alone are worth the bother. the extra space gives you plenty of room for the scooter and a wheelchair.

Have a great cruise. Just plan ahead and ask the cruiseline for information.

In the past I've seen the scooters charging in corners (on the Dawn) by the elevators. Would these be the ones that couldn't fit through stateroom doors perhaps?

Do you need a converter to charge the scooters, and if so could you recommend a specific type or brand?

Has anyone had any experience with renting a scooter? Any preferences, tips on what to look for, questions to ask, etc?

Can someone walk me through the muster drill with wheelchairs and or scooters? I know you're not suppose to use the elevators during the drill? Is there assistance available for people who have mobility issues?

We just got off the Dawn in November and my Mom uses a scooter she owns. However, we booked a HC cabin.

I don't think the scooter will go thru the doorways of regular cabins. Much too narrow. I'm sure they will let you charge the scooter someplace. The room steward would find a place for you.

I recomend taking an extention cord. The plug is the same.

The drill was fine. Go early and they will let you use the elevator.

Hope this info helps.

Linda

Archived