Train from London to Venice

Hi

My wife and I are contemplating taking the train from London to Venice for our 12-night cruise from Venice to Barcelona.

This entails catching the Eurostar from London to Paris and then an overnight sleeper from there to Venice.

We have all the info we need from www.seat61.com/italy.htm which is a very useful site.

Is there anyone out there who has done this before and can give us their impressions about the journey?

Thanks

Roy & Val

I haven't done the trip, was thinking of something similar, but then the cost was prohibitive, so decided to fly.

There was another poster that doesn't fly, so was going to take the chunnel from London to Paris and the overnight train from Paris to Rome.

I thought it sounded like fun, so got my airfare from LAX to Paris, then started looking at the train site. The cost was as much as our flight from LAX to Paris, so opted for airfare for $210 plus taxes.

Now I have found another site that is a little less expensive than RailEurope. Hope the site works for you, it's a long address.

http://www.eurorailways.com/products/night_trains/paris_to_rome.htm?source=y-on-artesia&OVRAW=travel%20by%20train%20from%20paris%20to%20rome&OVKEY=train%20from%20paris%20rome&OVMTC=advanced&OVADID=499326522&OVKWID=1491399522

Hope you have a great trip!

Thanks to both for your replies

sfocruiser, we would love to take the orient express. Only problem is, the overnight trip would cost us a lot more than the 12-night cruise !! In that respect, cost is a problem.

agabbymama, thanks for the link - have looked at it but found better pricing on Raileurope.

I would still love to hear from someone that has actually taken this trip.

Roy

I think the idea of an overnight train from Paris to Venice is probably better than the actual train ride. I've taken an overnight train from Brussels to Venice (essentially the same route as from Paris) and would not do it again. We had our own cabin but my upper berth was very cramped and short (and I'm only 5'9"). In addition, although we don't smoke, someone near us did and the smell wafted into our compartment all night. There is no room to check your luggage so it will be in your compartment with you, so plan on constantly hopping over it or moving it-- the overhead bins probably won't hold the larger pieces. Admittedly this was a number of years ago, but since it is so much cheaper to fly around Europe now, I just don't know why anyone would take an overnight train if they can fly.

The website says the trains are all NON-SMOKING now. Besides the exhorbitant cost, that was another reason I decided to fly (2 hours vs all night) to get from Paris to Rome.

But $210 + taxes from Paris to Rome/Venice to Paris was a lot better price than the $552 each leg.

But it does sound exciting. Be sure to do a review Ardy53, if you do indeed take the train.

Hi

The smoking thing will need investigation... do you know if there is ANY smoking area, such as the bar maybe? (as you can gather, we are both smokers)

I just received an email from my son who now lives in London (we are from South Africa), which I will quote from below...

"Hi Dad,

We took the Eurostar to Paris and then the over night train to Rome. The Eurostar is the best way to get to Paris if you are going there. It is much better than having to go through the airports. Takes hardly any time to get there - you have to buy food on the train but it is quite good. The only thing is that a one way and a return economy ticket on the Eurostar is almost the same price. It has something to do with ensuring that economy tickets are mainly used for leisure travellers. I have heard that the new terminal at St Pancras is very nice with a champagne bar, etc.

The overnight trains do not depart from the same station in Paris that the Eurostar arrives but you can use their metro. The over night train was very nice but we probably wouldn't do it again just because of how expensive it is. It is only the 1st class couchette tickets where you get the separate cabin with the seats that convert into beds. Otherwise you are in a 6 sleeper area. You get a small breakfast included in 1st class ticket but you have to pay for dinner in the dinner carriage which was also quite expensive although probably not any more than a decent restaurant in Europe. Also dinner is European style where they will seat you with other people at the table if your party is not big enough to fill the table - we met some interesting american's.

Both trains I would say are something that everyone has to at least try experience once just because they are so different from flying - especially the overnight trains. Looking at our tickets I see we paid 107 Euro for the Eurostar and 180 Euro for the overnight train per person but that was in 2007.

Love Rob"

There is obviously a range of price options that can be considered for the sleeper train.

Flying is about as exiting as visiting the dentist... I still think it would be lovely to see some French countryside in the evening and then wake up (if one has managed to sleep) to the Italian scenery the next day. I have actually taken the train from Milan to Venice a few year ago, about 3 hours and it was very interesting trip.

We will continue to think about this - still 2 months before we could even book tickets.

Roy & Val

I've done the trip.. to Florence, not Venice (different train; the Florence one goes on to Rome). Both trains leave Bercy and both are EuroNight trains.

It is a long trip, but I enjoyed it -- but, then, I'm a rail fan (I'd love to take the Rovos rail trip to Dar el Salem after I win the lottery).

the train is completely non-smoking now.. that might make a difference to you.

Paul

I've done the trip.. to Florence, not Venice (different train; the Florence one goes on to Rome). Both trains leave Bercy and both are EuroNight trains.

It is a long trip, but I enjoyed it -- but, then, I'm a rail fan (I'd love to take the Rovos rail trip to Dar el Salem after I win the lottery).

the train is completely non-smoking now.. that might make a difference to you.

Paul

Would also love a luxury train trip.... we have one on our own doorstep here in South Africa.

www.bluetrain.co.za

Small problem.... a one-way 16 hour overnight trip costs more than my upcoming 12-night Mediterranean cruise !!!

----

A further question about smoking on(off) the sleeper train to Rome or Venice.

Are there any stops along the way to hop off for a quick smoke (like after dinner sometime) ? ...or is it non-stop from Paris to your destination?

Thanks for reply

Roy

We are hoping to do this for our August cruise. I would like your opinion on the best station to stop, Mestre or St Lucia to get to the ship for 4 adults and 6 bags. As I understand stopping at Mestre we can get a normal taxi, but stopping at St Lucia we would need a water taxi.

We are hoping to do this for our August cruise. I would like your opinion on the best station to stop, Mestre or St Lucia to get to the ship for 4 adults and 6 bags. As I understand stopping at Mestre we can get a normal taxi, but stopping at St Lucia we would need a water taxi.

Hi Mum of Two

I have travelled from Milan to Venice by train before and went all the way to St Lucia. The water taxis and vaporetta are right outside the station.

One really only just needs to cross the canal and then a short walk to the embarkation point, if my map serves me correctly.

We plan to buy a vaporetta pass for 24/36 hours, as this costs next-to-nothing and allows unlimited travel. It is also the best way to see most of Venice when time there is limited.

We plan to arrive on the train at 09:30 on the first cruise day (27th Aug), drop our bags at embarkation point(if it is open already) and then go sightseeing till we can actually board. Our cruise only departs the next day at 15:00, so we have more than a full day in Venice.

Which date/ship are you cruising on ?

Are you also leaving from London to get the train to Venice? If so, how do you plan to get from the Gare du Nord to Gare de Bercy?

Keep in touch

Roy & Val

Would also love a luxury train trip.... we have one on our own doorstep here in South Africa.

www.bluetrain.co.za

Small problem.... a one-way 16 hour overnight trip costs more than my upcoming 12-night Mediterranean cruise !!!

----

A further question about smoking on(off) the sleeper train to Rome or Venice.

Are there any stops along the way to hop off for a quick smoke (like after dinner sometime) ? ...or is it non-stop from Paris to your destination?

Thanks for reply

Roy

There are a few stops, but you will not be able to smoke then, either. Not only are there non-smoking in public spaces laws in force, but they are actually enforced.

I know people who have done both the Blue train and Rovos. They tell me Rovos is better. Pure fantasy, anyway.. I couldn't afford either one. :)

Paul

There are a few stops, but you will not be able to smoke then, either. Not only are there non-smoking in public spaces laws in force, but they are actually enforced.

Paul

Thx Paul

When I travelled on the day train from Milan to Venice 4 years ago, I hopped off at several stops along the way for 5 mins to have a quick puff at the end of the platform (not indoors).

They must have tightened up the laws since then. icon9.gif

Roy

Roy and Val, we are on Summit on the 3rd Aug. I have booked my Eurostar but cannot book the overnight for another month. I thought we would do the Paris transfer by taxi, we will probably need 2. Luckily we all speak reasonable French. Will try to let you know how it worked out for us before you leave. Joanne

Joanne

We get into Heathrow at 06:30 (from Toronto - going there for a wedding) and thought to get the train to Paddington, then Cab or underground to St Pancras.

As we don't need to spend too much time there (would like to look around a bit since it has re-opened), we thought to take an 11:00 Eurostar, getting into Paris at 13:15.

I then thought that we might try take a two hour bus tour around Paris before heading off to Gare De Bercy.

Does this sound reasonable?

Roy

Roy, you might want to book your Eurostar now as the tickets get more expensive the nearer the time to travel. Also the earlier in the day you travel the quicker the price goes up. We booked as soon as they were released (120 days out). The Venice tickets become available 3 months from departure, by which time some Eurostar trains might only have expensive tickets left. The bus tour sounds good, or you might prefer a gourmet french meal. I emailed the seat 61 writer who said it was difficult to get first sitting on the Venice train. Joanne

Carmen - I have found a few people who plan to do this but no-one who actually has.

Joanne - Thanks for that advice - I will book as soon as they open (two weeks time). We will probably stay with the bus tour as we have never been to Paris before (the inside of Charles de Gaulle airport doesn't count)

Why didn't you like Celebrity?

QuasiTova

Haven't sailed on Celebrity yet - fortunately our August/September cruise occurs just before their new smoking policy is implemented in October, so we should enjoy our cruise.

After that, we will look to another cruise line that still allows smoking in staterooms and on balconies.

QuasiTova

Haven't sailed on Celebrity yet - fortunately our August/September cruise occurs just before their new smoking policy is implemented in October, so we should enjoy our cruise.

After that, we will look to another cruise line that still allows smoking in staterooms and on balconies.

Ardy53,

That may not be so easy to do. Right now a lot of the main stream lines still allowing smoking on the balconies & in the cabins, but they are talking over on the HAL board that surveys have gone out re: smoking on balconies & cabins, so HAL maybe thinking of changing their rules too. Once one main stream line does something, it doesn't take long for the others to follow suit.

With Oceana, Azamura and now Celebrity really limiting the smoking areas, I think the others will follow suit shortly. Not happy about it, but think my cruising days are about over. I have the one coming up in Oct to the Med, but think that will be it for me.

It was bad enough when the airlines went non-smoking, but now with all the new non-smoking laws throughout Europe, the cruiseships following suit, think I will just vacation here in the States and keep my dollars at home.

We took a train from Venice to Nice 2 years ago and while you did get to see some beautiful scenery, too long of a train ride for me. We could have had more time at the beach to relax which would have been more interesting to my son and the kids in the other family we were with.

Archived