Balmoral 1st - 12th May

PJ's

Hi Everyone

Been reading all the reviews and info on the site. Really, really excited about our first cruise. We're flying from Manchester to Rome on 1st May but have heard nothing yet about flight details - don't even know what time we fly, nor do we know our cabin number. We've booked a superior balcony cabin (BA) - I think these are on Bridge deck but not sure. Has anyone else stayed in this type of cabin?

Is it usual for flight details to be this late? I've still to book the car in at Manchester Airport as we are travelling from Leeds.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hi Everyone

Been reading all the reviews and info on the site. Really' date=' really excited about our first cruise. We're flying from Manchester to Rome on 1st May but have heard nothing yet about flight details - don't even know what time we fly, nor do we know our cabin number. We've booked a superior balcony cabin (BA) - I think these are on Bridge deck but not sure. Has anyone else stayed in this type of cabin?

Is it usual for flight details to be this late? I've still to book the car in at Manchester Airport as we are travelling from Leeds.

Any feedback would be appreciated.[/quote']

Hi PJ's

We were on Balmoral 13th-24th March - at least with your destination you'll be spared the dreadful immigration process that we put up with going to the States!

Dont expect to get your tickets until 2 weeks or less before your departure date! I believe ours turned up about 7 days before we were due to leave. You'll also get your flight times at that point - unless you make a point (as I did) of ringing Olsen each day from around the 3 weeks to departure point. If you call Olsen they may already be able to tell you which cabin you're going to be in. We booked a year in advance and were allocated our cabin and told the number at that time.

We were on Bridge Deck in cabin 9092 - in a superior balcony cabin. The cabin itself was ok. A reasonable size - not too much smaller than your average budget hotel room. It had a fixed double bed which looked to be a proper size (not one of those 3/4 beds they sometimes give you), couple of chairs and a dressing table. Plenty of storage space - 2x bedside tables with 3 drawers in each, 2 sets of drawers in the dressing table and another set of drawers in each of the wardrobes. 2 wardrobes - one containing the safe which is free and you program your own security number into it - no keys to loose! :)

The bathroom was quite poor. Not refurbished in any way. Tiles looked tired and the grout was grubby. The bath had a hole in it which had been repaired at some point (not too well either) so I thought maybe when I had a bath whoever was on the deck below would get dripped on!!

The bath itself was very small. I'm 5'1" and struggled. My husband, who's 6'1" looked very funny jammed into it! :D The shower was ok though and there was always plenty of very hot water (although on one occasion we had no water in the cabin for a short while)

The basin had a large crack in it and the cupboards under the sink (which had mirror doors) had seen better days. The hairdryer in the was pathetic so take your own! Using the loo was quite a dangerous occupation because your legs got bashed by the bathroom door if anyone came in while you were in there!

The balconies have glass panels so the view isn't obstructed too much which is lovely. My husband would throw open the curtains in the morning and I'd admire the view from my bed as I drank my cup of coffee! The balonies are equiped with one sun lounger, 2 chairs and a small table which makes them a bit cluttered.

Our biggest gripe with this cabin was the vibration we experienced each and every time we came into or left port. It was appauling, shook the whole of the room and had the glasses and cups and wardrobe doors rattling as though it was an earthquake! (and trust me - I know what that feels like as we live close to where the recent UK earthquake hit!) :(

The only time we weren't woken up by it was on the very last morning when we came into Miami. I'm not into technical things but I do wonder if the problems we had with the aux. engine during our trip had something to do with this dreadful vibration so hopefully you wont experience this?

I'm sure you'll have read the reviews by now. I've not written mine yet - watch that space!

Hopefully by the time you go Olsen will have ironed out the problems and gripes that many passengers on our trip had and you'll have a great time.

Netty

Guest Anorak33

"Using the loo was quite a dangerous occupation because your legs got bashed by the bathroom door if anyone came in while you were in there!"

Was there no lock on the bathroom door?

Your cabin sounds horrific, in really bad condition. I hope you have written a formal complaint to FO about it, and also put a complaint in on board as soon as you could do so. Did you ask to be moved to a cabin in good condition?

Hi Again

Thanks Netty for your feedback, really appreciated.

I've read about all the problems with immigration in Miami and really feel for you - it must have been horrific. Hopefully we won't have that problem? :eek:

Thanks for the tip on packing hairdryer, it's going on the list. Not too keen on the vibrations from the engine, I hope it's a bit better when they get to Rome.:rolleyes: Seems as though there is plenty of storage space for all my dressy up clothes and maybe a bit left for hubby's:D

I'll try and find out the flight times from FO tomorrow, then I can at least book the car in at the airport.

Looking forward to the review, will keep my eyes open for it.

Carol x

Archived