Anyone give me info on Stone Island??

cruisemama5

My DH and I are wondering about going to Stone Island. Did you like it? Is it worth going? Should you take a tour through the ship, or a tour on your own? Any info would be appreciated.

Here is bits and pieces that I have saved. Scroll back a couple of months and find more information.

Stone Island on your own.

I was on the Vision of the Seas last week and we went to Stone Island on our own. The directions we (and another couple) got from the board turned out not to be exactly accurate, so I wanted to clear it up.

When you get off the ship there are shuttles to take you to the little marketplace, through which you exit the pier area. Go out the gate the taxi's exit through and turn left. Follow this street for 3 - 4 blocks til the street ends. Go across and continue straight down a dirt road to a booth where you can buy your tickets. It was $1.50 per person round trip.

Keep in mind that these are not "water taxi's" as you might be envisioning them. These are like large row boats with motors on the back. The locals take these as well and they probably hold 10 - 12 people, and once you start out you may turn around back to the dock to pick up more passengers. It is a very short trip across to Stone Island.

Once off the taxi, go up the ramp and either head straight across to the beach, then turn left and you will see all of the restaurants.

Or you can turn left and follow the dirt road a block or so til you see another dirt road going to the right. This will also take you to the beach and the restaurants.

We were confused about the pickups with benches in the back that have been mentioned in several posts. We waited for one and when they came they told us we just needed to walk across the sand and we would be at the restaurants. So we wasted a bit of time waiting in the heat for transportation that was unnecessary.

It was definitely worth the wait (and we had taken a wrong turn to find the water taxi as well so had walked at least a mile extra and it was hot!). It was beautiful when we got there! And I didn't think the vendors were a problem - most of them would just ask and leave if you said "No, gracias!".

No issues whatsoever. You exit the port area, turn left, walk about 5-10 minutes, and arrive at the water taxi area. You pay for your tickets (round-trip) and cross... easy... when you are ready, come back to the same spot to return.

I have heard people have walked to the beach, but when we got there, there were rides available from the locals to the restaurants. They came back in the afternoon and took us back to the water taxi dock. We have a 2YO DD in a stroller, so the ride was appreciated (about $1-2).

Restaurants

Victor’s vs Molokay

I read more recommendations for Victor's on here, but last year, we went to Molokay for the day. The food was exceptional, we rented ATVs, and our DD greatly enjoyed our corner of the beach.

Is Victor's comparable, or am I missing something even better? I wouldn't mind trying a new place, but we were very happy with Molokay.

Also, how are the amenities at Victor's? Chairs, loungers, umbrellas, etc. How about the bathrooms? Thanks everyone!

Victor's out weighs Moloky 5 to one. The food is more than excellent and the prices are great plus the size of the shrimp and the service!!

DH and I only eat at Victor's and after trying the others the food is the best and beach chairs, boogie boards and all the other stuff are free.

Great chips and home made salsa! Yummy

We too were just on Stone Island. Once off the taxi go straight up the ramp and continue straight you will come to a small gravel hill that leads right on to the beach we walked to Molokay about 7 restaurants down 400 yards. Wife didnt want to walk any further to Victor's, It was cold that day in Mazatlan. We ate at Molokay and had to Coco loco drink which had hard liquor in it.

Coco Loco

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chadzbrew

I have read in these forums that you can get a drink that is made fresh in a cocunut from coconut milk and afterwards they break the coconut and put lime and hot sauce on it to eat. We will be in Maz/PV/Cabo in Jan, where can I find this drink? Which bar at Stone Island makes these? I cant wait to have a few of these.

Reply:

I had one at Playa Sur on Stone Island.

Johann & Sandra

How long is the trip to stone Island and directions to Victors?

no taxi I would like to walk.

Lety's is next door to Victor's. Lety makes her own fresh tortilla's. Noone else on Stone Island make's their own tortillas. The food at Lety's is awesome and Lety's entire family is great.

As mentioned on this thread, after taking the Disney type tram, you walk thru the shopping area and then out the gate at the cruise port and go left down the sidewalk. At the end of the sidewalk you cross the street and then veer left down the dirt road. You can see the ticket hut right away (we have seen the ticket hut painted yellow and blue, not sure what color it is now). Water taxi ride is short, just accross the channel. When you get off the water taxi you just walk straight ahead off the dock to the beach. Just continue down the beach until you see the sign for Lety's. You can go to Victor's if you want, but I can say from experience that Lety's is great. We will be there again in May.

Partial map of Stone Island

http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/141_mazatlanarea.jpg

Mazatlan Frank

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=188995

Website

http://www.mazatlan-frank.com/

My DH and I are wondering about going to Stone Island. Did you like it? Is it worth going? Should you take a tour through the ship, or a tour on your own? Any info would be appreciated.

We have been to Mazatlan 3 times now on cruises. First time: ship's excursion around town in a bus with 50 others. Second time: Randi's Happy Horses, ending at Victor's. That was fun, glad we did it once. Third time: Stone Island on our own. We loved the easy pace, no groups to deal with, just walked out of the cruise terminal, down the street to the water taxi and we were there. We intended to go to Victors but they are closed on Mondays - so we went to Lety's and it was very good. We sat and people watched, drank beer, shopped from the strolling vendors, and played cards. It was so relaxing, I would go back and do the same next cruise. Water Taxi cost $3 round trip for two. Lunch and 6 beers: $30. Half a day on Stone Island: PRICELESS!

Archived