great idea for port canaveral

Nekochan

I came up with a brilliant idea for a stop at Port Canaveral. I'm sure you want to do a day at Disney, but that can be REALLY crowded and expensive, especially if you go during the summer. If you go during the summer, you also have to worry about the heat.

An alternative idea might be to make a reservation at the Nickelodeon Hotel in Orlando for the day and use a rental car. The hotel has two pools. Each pool has a water park type thing (not quite typhoon lagoon, but the kids have a blast). There are all sorts of activities for the kids, and they could get the chance to meet Spongebob, Dora and I don't remember what other Nickelodeon Characters. The hotel has a food court which even has some sort of coffee counter service, a bar by each pool, activities for the kids etc. No, it's not a day at Disney, but it is an alternative. It's also not cheap, but probably cheaper than admission for 4 or more for a day.

On the flip side you could book somewhere like the Disney Dolphin & Swan where they have Disney character dining and use their awesome pools. :) And this past August I only paid $179 to stay there. Don't know what it would be for a day pass.

The Nick hotel is twice that much, right?

There are a bunch of hotels that offer character meals and you wouldn't have to be a guest.

I've been to both the 'swolphin' and the polynesian, and the water play area (slides, slime etc.) at the Nick beat them by far. I would only do this if it were a warm month - I was at Port Canaveral this past February (actually on President's day) and it was way too chilly for a pool activity. I also didn't want to go near disney that day due to crowds. Last summer I got the Nick for $184 per night with an AAA discount

The Nick and Disney hotels sounds great!

I'm still trying to figure out what we're going to do when we dock in Pt Canaveral. Does anyone know of a hotel in Cocoa Beach (or Orlando) that does day passes???

Hi,

The Hyatt at the Orlando airport has a day room rate for $89.00. We are going to try it next month.

10 am - 6 pm

It is right at the airport so you don't have to take a shuttle anywhere. Hopefully it will be a nice place to sit by the pool/relax in the room for a few hours.

Hi,

The Hyatt at the Orlando airport has a day room rate for $89.00. We are going to try it next month.

10 am - 6 pm

It is right at the airport so you don't have to take a shuttle anywhere. Hopefully it will be a nice place to sit by the pool/relax in the room for a few hours.

That hotel is nice, the bedsd are comfy. I don't know about the pool, we only stayed there because we were stranded between flights.

The Nick and Disney hotels sounds great!

I'm still trying to figure out what we're going to do when we dock in Pt Canaveral. Does anyone know of a hotel in Cocoa Beach (or Orlando) that does day passes???

What about the Kennedy Space Center excursion? Or just doing it on your own. We're thinking of doing that because our flight doesn't leave until about 8 PM and we basically have all day.

Although, getting a hotel room and having a relaxing pool day is sounding pretty nice too.

It depends on the age/nature of the kids in your group. I have a kid with ADD (not on meds), and we found the 'up close' tour REALLY boring. It was about a 2 hour ride around the complex with the tour guide droning on about stuff - you didn't really get to go 'up close' with anything. YOu got close enough to take a picture from far away from the launch pads and so forth. We would have been better off just sticking with the regular KSC tour. There is certainly enough to do at KSC to fill most of a day (without the tour).

Archived