Easter Gem cruise - not a review but a listing

ma_t_gus

I was on AF suite 11098 - 2 adults/ 2 children

This is not a review, more of a listing of stuff. It is not in particular order. I'm pretty sure someone will do a review soon. These are things that I remember but at my age…..

Embarking – ticket # 4-7 are suites and handicaps. We were #8 and received it at 11:00am when we arrived. Boarding started at 12:30pm. Restaurants were not open until 12:30pm. Pretty quick boarding.

Jeans allowed at all restaurants except Grand Pacific

Soda/Smoothies – 20 tix for $34. Without a booklet, a regular smoothie with the fancy cup is $6 and soda was $1.75 or $2 ( I forget ). Make sure you show the tix before ordering.

It has 2-110v outlets by the desk. We brought extension cord.

Mini bar setup.

Nice sized safe, I had a semi-pro digit cam ( on auto though ) which fit with my wife’s small purse, still have room for more.

Couch opened to a bed that fit my 2 kids.

2 bathrobes

TV has maybe 10 channels and sometimes we get poor reception message on some channels.

Bathroom has tub and toilet doors, 1 outlet for shaver only and an ashtray.

We were on the right side and saw Statue of Liberty, the ocean in Nassau and on dockside in Freeport

Mystery dinner was fun – about 10 teams of 6. Registered on Sun, for 5pm dinner at the Grand Pacific on Thurs ( seafood night ). You don’t go against other teams, your group basically plays together.

Grand Pacific – no jeans allowed after 5pm.

Bowling and rock climbing, socks are mandatory. I always see people look at the staff funny when they are told of the requirements.

Top, top decks were empty, good place to get tan with no noise.

Adult pool were inforced, saw kids getting told to leave and rowdy adults ( college kids, me thinks ) to calm down.

Staff allowed kids to hang-out at the atrium but were told to be quiet when they started getting rowdy

Pool is saltwater, Jacuzzi is not

Specialty rest. Kids are ½ price

Cagney’s $25

La Cucina $10

Le Bistro $20 or $15 for breakfast

Orchid Garden $15

Sushi Bar $20

Teppanyaki $25 5:00/6:30/8:00/9:30. 4 tables of 8 people.

Tequila FREE but needs reservation. We went there on 2 days and on both days, there people in front of me expected to be seated without reservation. Talking about “ why do I need reserve. if it is freestyling?”.

1st day – 10% of liquor. We picked it up on Friday night, time depends on your deck floor. Also, $1 charge each for each clothing for getting pressed for that day only.

You can borrow iron.

Disembarking started at 10:30am. We got there early. Pick up color tags Thurs night. First are the express, then penthouse, etc.. gold+ latitude members, then people with airport transfers, then everyone else. We were out by 11:15-30am. Customs is on the bottom level, which lead you to the street, you need to take the elevator up for taxis and your cars.

Kids club are free except port days ( don’t know the price ) and $5/hr and $3 for each sibling after 10pm

$4 van to Atlantis, you can walk around Atlantis for free, I think after 6pm. We went there at night, to dark to walk around the Atlantis grounds, so be alert.

$5 van to Lucaya beach ( 30 min drive). Westin emp rented lounge chairs for $10 and you get a wristband. I’m not sure if you can use the pools. Across the street is a mini mall type area, there was a Subway, Quiznos…. Drivers make sure they fill up the van so waiting 10-15min might occur.

We had Easter mass with Father Richard from Mass. At Spinnaker

Beer buckets buy 5 get 1 free. $5 deposit for helmet shaped bucket.

You need to sign out beach towels.

Gym was nice but didn't use it ( I'm on vacation )

There's a Latitudes room next to the library. It has coffee, cookies...

They have really comfortable seats on the left side of the ship, next to the pool. Great place to nap.

They have cappuccino, expresso, latte, coffee, decaf machines towards the back of the buffet

There are no trays available at the buffet but they do have attendants walking around with trays to help you carry your food to your table.

I was able to make reservations for the restaurants in front of Cagney's and in the section next to the desserts in the buffet area. Look for a staff stationed in front of the computer. I would make reservations while I'm getting breakfast.

I was on AF suite 11098 - 2 adults/ 2 children

We have never been a mini suite, and will be on the Gem #11092 in May!! Can't wait!!! I would love to hear more about the room? Did you hear noise from Deck 12?

Thanks for the great review. ANd about the specialty restaurant prices.

We have never been a mini suite, and will be on the Gem #11092 in May!! Can't wait!!! I would love to hear more about the room? Did you hear noise from Deck 12?

The hallway in the room was about 3ft wide, so there was a lot of room. The closet was pretty big, we had a hardcase suitcase that we were able to place in there. We had dufflebags/foldable roller suitcases that fit under the bed.

Once in a while I would hear noises. I think the room was under the big chess/checkers board area and we would hear people playing.

Next to the bathroom was a 5-6 tier of drawer that was from the floor to the ceiling. Even my wife didn't get to use all of her space but then again she had the largest drawer:D

Bathroom is nice but we forgot to bring bubble bath soap.

The hallway in the room was about 3ft wide, so there was a lot of room. The closet was pretty big, we had a hardcase suitcase that we were able to place in there. We had dufflebags/foldable roller suitcases that fit under the bed.

Once in a while I would hear noises. I think the room was under the big chess/checkers board area and we would hear people playing.

Next to the bathroom was a 5-6 tier of drawer that was from the floor to the ceiling. Even my wife didn't get to use all of her space but then again she had the largest drawer

Bathroom is nice but we forgot to bring bubble bath soap.

Thank you!! I can't wait!! Oh the bubble bath soap is a great idea!!

We always have a great time cruising. Our attitude is " just go with the flow.":D

Everyone should have that attitude ... then, everyone would have a "great time"! ... Thanks for sharing your info :)

P.S. We too had a "great time" on the GEM ... the week before you.

Archived