Toys for 8 month old

sabbie

I just got off the Freedom with my sister in-law and her three kids, ages 10mos, 2 and 5. She and I both packed some cheap sand toys that we brought to the beach with us, and her little ones played with those for hours. She even brought those to the H2O zone with her and the two little ones played with them in their kiddie pool. She also took advantage of the Fisher Price playgroup they offered every morning and loved having that time for her two youngest to just run around and play. The nice thing about that playgroup was that they let you "borrow" a toy everyday and then just bring it back the next day to exchange it for a new one. That was great because she had a new toy everyday to entertain the kids. Her 10 month old was also very entertained by everything that was going on around him, so that kept him busy.

I am looking for suggestions for toys to bring with us on our cruise next month, DS will be almost 9 months at the time. What worked for you and what was a waste of time bringing. Thanks!!

We love our 99 cent "magna doodle" from wal mart. They can "draw" on it and you never have to worry that they will mark up anything.

A cardboard "picture" book - the ones with the picture of a ball and the word ball, etc.

A little people car.

A small ball.

Google for "Brilliant Basics Baby's First Blocks" The picture on amazon makes the bucket seem bigger than it actually is. Product Dimensions are only 5.5 x 5.5 x 8.5 inches and the toy is less than 1 pound The whole thing is very light, so it travels with little weight impact. It is a little "bulky" but, even when the blocks are in the bucket, there is leftover room in the bucket so you could put the book and the car and a few little people in it as well. Also, I think we got our's for $6 at target, so don't pay too much for it.

A great place to get cheap toys is a a kids resale store.

Many people on these boards have mentioned purchasing throw away toys at goodwill or the salvation army. That way, if you run out of room when coming back, you can leave the toys behing, semi-guilt free. Personally, I have never had any luck with finding toys there - but that just might be my area.

Good luck!

We just came back from a cruise with our one year old (he is not walking yet). I brought a bunch of sand toys, which he played with by the pool and on the beach. I also brought a couple of books (the ones where you touch the animals), a couple of little cars and a little inflatable childrens raft - he was a little scraed to be in at first but then really liked it and we used it both in the pool and in the ocean. Also, a toy cell phone and a real keychain with lots of keys were very entertaining. Take a lot of snacks (puffs, teether biscuits, cheerios) because they do not have many on the ship. I agree that he was mostly interested in the other people, especially by the pool and that kept him very entertained.

I have a set of nesting buckets - the biggest one with a handle and the smallest was a cup size. My daughter LOVED to stack them high or inside of one another. They are also great for the beach and pool area.

I recommend picture books, a travel magna doodle, crayola colerless crayons/paper. After your flight and before your cruise, get some beach toys for the pool/beaches.

Our first cruise I was happy to have a bunch of different toys and books that attached to the highchair and stroller with links and/or clips - saved a lot of bending over to pick up dropped and thrown toys. They can be switched out for each day/each meal.

Best,

Mia

Archived