Wine and food on the M/V Discovery

Mel

Has anyone taken wine on board the M/V Discovery? How about buying wine in ports such as Flam, Reykjavik, etc.? We always buy wine at dinner but do like to have a couple of bottles in our cabin if it's OK. Have any readers been on the Discovery lately? I'm really interested in their comments on the food on board as we will be on the May 31st sailing to Iceland.

We cruised last year from Costa Rica to Antarctica. We bought wine in a few stops in Chile and brought on board with no problem. The food was good but not excellent. We are on the Grand Voyage to the Amazon Cruise starting Thursday. I will give you an update after we are on board a couple of days. :cool:

Thanks, Patkusp. Hope you have a wonderful trip. I would be interested to hear if you are able to take wine on board at the beginning of the cruise in your carry-on! I wish we were going Thursday too! Mel

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Patkusps - I'm dying to hear how your cruise up the Amazon on the Discovery went! When you have a minute, please let me know as much as you can about the Discovery. It seems very hard to find many people who have actually travelled with them. Mel

Greetings from the Discovery. The Amazon was amazing. What an awesome adventure. We are now on the Caribbean and have visited a port a day for the last eight days. Tomorrow is Antigua then across the Atlantic. The food has been very good and some nights excellent. The chef was recently promoted to F&B Manager and the sous chef promoted to executive chef. We brought a couple bottles of wine on board when we boarded and brought more on today from St Lucia. There is no problem bringing it on board. The wine list features wine from USA, France, Italy, Spain, Chile, Argentina, New Zealand and Australia. Prices range from $18 US-$100 US. All in all excellent cruise so far. Hope you enjoy yours!!!:)

Thanks, Patrick. We are very pleased to hear about the good food (I'm now on my pre-cruise diet so I won't feel guilty eating so much.....). Sounds like a great cruise you are on - how many days is it in total? How is the entertainment? Our friend who is travelling with us to Iceland is an avid bridge player - have you seen any evidence of card playing on board? Enjoy the rest of your cruise. Mel

We are on board for 39 days. We just booked a cruise on Discovery for next year from Cape Town South Africa to Mumbai India for 30 days. The entertainment has been very good. They have a great classical trio, a small group of dancers and singers that are quite good and they bring on guest acts for different segments. So far we have had a Scottish Flutist who was great, a british comedien who was also quite good and in the islands we had a steel band. There is a bridge groups that meets in the mornings, afternoon and evenings when at sea and in the evenings when in port. They also have a great lecture series when at sea. We are in the middle of the Atlantic today on our way to the Azores. :)

One more question......about tipping on board.

I see that on the Voyages of Discovery U.K. website it says that tipping is included in your fare, however my U.S. brochure says that they recommend $7.50 per day per person. How do you know which is right?

Thanks Patkusps for your messages from Discovery as we are sailing on the May 11th to the 25th trip from Nassau. I guess this is where you are getting off? I tried to start a thread for our trip but no one ever responded. It's great to hear your positive responses! We are really looking forward to it.

Archived