Fuel Surcharge Refund

Apparently Carnival Corp. has reached an agreement with Florida's attorney general to refund some $40 million in adjusted fuel charges for cruises booked before the November announcment according to USA Today.

I, and imagine the rest of you cruisers, was assessed what I thought a reasonable fuel surcharge for a cruise booked last summer.

Has anyone heard scuttlebutt about refunds from Seabourn or have I missed something? Jack

The agreement was apparently reached just today. Carnival Corp. had said that because the option to charge it was in its terms and conditions it's fuel supplement was OK when Royal Caribbean's wasn't. I guess Carnival decided it was probably not as OK as it thought.

I do not know how it will be addressing the refunds for past cruisers, but assume the refunds for cruises yet to come will simply be re-invoicing them sans the fuel supplement.

Here's the deal.

Assuming you booked prior to November 7, 2007:

If your cruise departed on or before April 4 you will receive a refund in the same manner you paid (ex. your credit card will be refunded).

If your cruise is between April 5 and June 23 you will receive an onboard credit.

If you cruise is after June 23 you will have your final invoice adjusted to eliminate the charge.

If you booked after November 7, 2007 you knew about the fuel surcharge at the time of booking, so it stays in place.

I think this takes into account that:

1. Cruises already completed make individual refunds through travel agents a nightmare and expensive.

2. Most final payments have been made for cruises to be taken by June 23, so the OBC is the easiest thing (and very few passengers - especially on Carnival's other brands - can escape a cruise without spending $35 to $70 on something)

3. Cruises which are further out can easily be adjusted at the time of final payment, and considering the dollars, making immediate refunds would be very costly without much benefit for each guest.

Give with one hand and take with the other.

The surcharge has just gone up to $7 per day, $98 max, same rules as before.

Of course, for new bookings only.

I guess Carnival needed to recoup some of the millions it has been forced to refund.

Steve.

Archived