Formal Nights

A general answer is difficult as it of course depends on which cruiseline and specific cruise you compare with which other one.

Some tendencies:

On a European cruise with a traditional European line like P&O, Cunard or Deilmann there will certainly be many more tuxedos than lets say on a Carnival Caribbean cruise. The whole atmosphere will be more elegant.

On the other hand a deeply discounted cruise advertised as "do what you want, be as casual as possible" will attract similiar guests everywhere.

On a normal priced (= probably higher than in the Caribbean) cruise by a American-focused mainstream line with many European guests there might be only a few more passengers with tuxedos but definitely many less who do not comply to the dresscode at all (i.e. dark suits and tie and not trying to "get away" without tie or without jacket or with "nice" dark sneakers etc.)

The difference might be even more obvious during the day and on non-formal nights: Europeans tend to dress up every night and to care more about appropriate and tasteful dress during the day, too.

Well, again, these are just tendencies, the reality varies by how the cruise was sold to whom.

From my experience, the Med. is more formal that our Alaska or Mexican Riviera cruises were. However, with the new checked baggage restrictions that may change. It can be difficult to bring all that formal wear along with only one checked bag allowance.

For our last Med. cruise, we rented a tux on the ship for DH so we wouldn't have to drag one with us. It was waiting for us in our stateroom when we arrived.

From my experience, the Med. is more formal that our Alaska or Mexican Riviera cruises were. However, with the new checked baggage restrictions that may change. It can be difficult to bring all that formal wear along with only one checked bag allowance.

For our last Med. cruise, we rented a tux on the ship for DH so we wouldn't have to drag one with us. It was waiting for us in our stateroom when we arrived.

Where did you get the "one checked bag allowance"? You are allowed up to 200 lbs. per person on RCL.

Hello..

We were on a RCCI cruise out of Venice last September. My husband has enough black tie events at home and dislikes dragging a tux along for a relaxing vacation. He took a blue blazer, dark grey slacks and wore a tie and fit right in. I think that probably only 1/3 of the men we saw were wearing a tux. Many women were very casually attired; the majority seemed to wear silk/dressy pant suits or cocktail dresses. I saw very few "ball gowns".

The Europeans on the ship were dressed as casually as we were. Since September we've cruised on two smaller, more upscale but casual cruise lines and enjoyed the relaxed dress codes.

Just my two cents!

murphysmum;)

Archived