Are we bad tablemates?

GirlyCaMom

I,too, agree on a large table. There are so few tables for 2 and cruising is a great way to meet new people...you are being very considerate and telling everyone ahead of time and your fellow diners may have plans of their own as well. I just don't think you want anyone to think badly of you when you don't show up.

On one of our cruises we were at a table for 8 and we had each unknowing scheduled the specialty restaurant on a different night. We all loved it but enjoyed each other's company more and forego leaving the dining room again.

Another time we had a table for 10 and 4 only showed up on formal nights.

As you said just play it by ear and have a great time.

Alaska is beautiful and the Alaska board is a wealth of information.

Without reading everyone else's posts, Lew, you are most welcomed at our table. The only thing that makes us upset is when we're dressed in our formal wear on formal nights, and others are dressed in t-shirts. Fortunately it has only happened once. That's what we get for "optional formal nights" on NCL.

You'll have a great time, Lew!

My hubby and I will doing a 7-night cruise to Alaska aboard Infinity in May. This will be our very first vacation together and my husband's first cruise. We are super excited and can't wait to experience everything!

That said, we definitely want to try the specialty restaurant at least once maybe twice, we would love to have dinner in our suite at least once, maybe twice.

I've done a lot of reading on this site and I've seen more than once that people are unhappy with their tablemates that don't show up for dinner frequently. Are people going to be upset with us? Of course we would always tell someone when we would not be dining in the dining room so no one would wait for us.

With four kids at home who knows when we will ever be able to take a trip like this again, so we just want to experience everything.

Thanks!

Lew

Unless those tablemates of yours are PAYING for your cruise, you should choose to do as you like. You are under no commitment to people you have never even met before to be there at every meal. Try the specialty restaurant or the alternative dining. For that matter, have dinner served in your stateroom one night. It is YOUR vacation, make it what you want.

Hopefully those remaining at the table will be able to have pleasant conversation without you.

Here's an opinion from a different angle. We always request a large table simply because we enjoy meeting other cruisers. Missing one dinner is no biggie I agree. But if you can't make the dinningroom more than that, wouldn't it be better to request a two person table? Why not let the larger size tables for those who do enjoy the dinningroom every night and the company of their tablemates? I guess what I am trying to say is that I paid for my cruise also and would like to enjoy it just as much as you. So if you know you won't be there 3 out of 7 nights, why not say so up front so that the others at your table can decide to change tables (or not), or else just request a two person table. Being considerate of fellow cruises really isn't such a bad idea. Out of my 34 cruises, I have encountered bad tablemates only once. I have met many wonderful people who have become lasting friends. This is just our (hubby and me) opinion and how we view our dinning. As I said, it is another slant on a cruising subject.

Karon

Something I hadn't even thought of...we may just hit it off so well with others at our table we may not want to have dinner anywhere else. Good point!

We definitely aren't looking to dine alone all of the time. As a stay at home mom to four young children I'm dying to have adult converations and enjoy delicious food that does not include cut-up hotdogs or mac-n-cheese.

Thanks for the advice...I'm off to check out the Alaska board ;) .

Lew

You are not the only one's going to be missing some evening's because of dining in the speciality restaraunt or in your suite. Others are also going to be doing it to and the polite ones will do the same thing you do. Inform the Maitre'd or waiter as soon as possible (possibly the night before).

Talk to the Maitre'd and tell him the situation. I'm sure he will be happy to seat you any night at a table that has folks doing the same thing. You might have to wait a few minutes before he can do this.

That way no tables are tied up, you just fit into a natural opening they already have. We've had folks eat an 8 person table with us for a "one night stand".

I too have had the experience of being at a table with tablemates that were unpredictable and infrequent. One night we found ourselves at a table for 8 alone, which was a very uncomfortable feeling. Had we known all of our tablemates were going elsewhere that night, we would have asked for a smaller table or gone to the specialty restaurant ourselves. Another cruise we had 2 tablemates the first night at a table for 6, after which they never returned and nobody else was ever seated with us at that too-large table, which was disappointing. Enjoying the new people we meet at dinner is usually a highlight of the cruise. We like to use the specialty restaurants too, as do most people. Tablemates won't be offended by your being gone a couple of nights. But I would tend to agree that if you don't plan to be there even half the time, requesting a table for 2 might be better. You will still have ample opportunity to meet people at breakfast and lunch served in the dining room, where you will be seated with others, and not feel obligated to anybody for your dinner plans.

This is a very interesting thread. I find myself in a dilemma. I travel solo, so I like traditional dining and the chance to meet new people. On the other hand, I like to try out the different dining options. There's no perfect solution. Unless . . . 2 dinners every night!!

And don't forget how it impacts your waiter's TIPS. I'm not saying you would do this, but many people would say "well, I paid the supplement in the specialty restaurant, and I wasn't even there when we got room service or went to the casual restaurant, so I'm not going to give my waiter 7 days worth of tips".

So please remember he has dedicated that seat to you whether you use it or not - and don't shortchange him!

And don't forget how it impacts your waiter's TIPS. I'm not saying you would do this, but many people would say "well, I paid the supplement in the specialty restaurant, and I wasn't even there when we got room service or went to the casual restaurant, so I'm not going to give my waiter 7 days worth of tips".

So please remember he has dedicated that seat to you whether you use it or not - and don't shortchange him!

Wouldn't dream of it! :) I realize they are really working hard for these tips.

I sailed with NCL last year with my parents and since it is all freestyle dining, I had not dealt with these issues. I really am looking forward to a more formal atmosphere and even the assigned dining. I guess after this cruise next month I will have a better understanding of what fits us best.

Does anyone know how they assign you a table? Do they match you with other people of similar age, or by couples, or families, etc. ? I was just curious.

Lew

Definitely go with the table for 2. Just be sure to try to tell your waiter when you won't be there so that they'll know that the table is free for the stand by people who want the opportunity to have a quiet dinner for 2 but don't have a table for 2. That's better than leaving others feeling deserted.

There is no reason to request a table for 2, just because you may not be eating dinner in the main dining room every night. We do enjoy a large table, meeting interesting people, and the fun of smart dinner conversation. However, we also enjoy taking a night in the specailty dining room (or two, or three on upcoming Solstice). We might also want to dine in the alternatiave restaurant or in our stateroom at the last minute, if we don't feel like the main dining room experience that night. I do not think it is our responsibility to tell anyone in advance if we choose to do so.

However, if we do have an advance reservation in the specialty dining, we will usually let our tablemates know the night before.

On my last cruise, we were at a big table, and there was literally only one night that EVERYBODY showed up. Still, there were always at least two parties that did show up, and it gave the different people opportunities to talk to each other when everybody wasn't there. I thought it was great...

From this thread, it seems that we can't agree as to whether it's better to go for a big table or a table for two, but we ALL seem to agree that a medium table would be worst, as chances are there would only be one other party and you would leave them alone every time you were gone....

Archived