Calgary ... what are the

main attractions? Any suggestions for a hotel or appartment for one night that will accomodate 5 people? :) We should be arriving at around 11.35am and we will be staying till the next day (prob will leave early afternoon). What are the not to miss attractions?

Thanks

Hi, my DH used to live in Calgary, so I've spent LOTS of time there.... I know there are others on this board who LIVE in Cgy, so may be able to help more. But for me, either the Glenbow Museum or the Calgary Zoo. The Museum has a native art exhibit that runs to July 2008. The Zoo is involved in captive breeding of endangered animals, and has "habitat" instead of cages.

If you want a city park, Prince's Island Park is very nice, lots of trails, grass, ducks and water. I personally prefer Bowness Park, but it is harder to get to, and most people would probably find it a disappointment :)

If you like amusement parks, Calaway Park is just outside Calgary on the way to Banff.

If you are downtown, the Calgary Tower has a viewing area.

Here's a link to an advertiser-sponsored magazine that lists some of the things in Calgary you may want to consider, including Canada Olympic Park

http://www.where.ca/cALGarY/article_feature~listing_id~125.htm

There are LOTS of hotels in Calgary. Search around and find a price point that works for you and I'll give you my "reviews". You'll need to get your reservations firmed up fairly quickly, as Calgary is a hub for business and tourism -- hotels book quickly.

main attractions? Any suggestions for a hotel or appartment for one night that will accomodate 5 people? :) We should be arriving at around 11.35am and we will be staying till the next day (prob will leave early afternoon). What are the not to miss attractions?

Thanks

Budget and location are going to be factors in Calgary. Eau Claire Sheraton is beautiful, central and expensive.

• Things to see: Calgary Tower - just don't dine there. Food is average, yet too expensive.
  • Heritage Park
  • Zoo
  • Fort Calgary
  • Telus Science Centre

Where to Dine:

• Bearspaw Inn (you'll want a rental car for this one)-5 star dining
  • Broken Plate (amazing Greek Food)

Unique things to do:

Depends on your groups taste. July is Stampede and that's lots of fun. July also is the Folk Fest. I'm not sure if Shakespeare in the Park will be running.

http://www.calgaryattractions.com/

Our weather is crazy. Make sure you have a light jacket and a sweater, plus shorts and sandals. You just never know what you're going to need.

We have lots of parks and biking trails, so if you're group is up to it, rent bikes for the day.

Thanks very much for the information!! :D The Sheraton looks fantastic but it is a bit above our budget since we were thinking of spending about CAD 100 each max if possible. We should be hiring a car from the airport so transport should not be a problem. The ghost tour sounds really nice hehehe. Thanks very much for the information .. as soon as i find some good hotels i will list them here to see what you thinks! thanks again people! :)

Thanks very much for the information!! :D The Sheraton looks fantastic but it is a bit above our budget since we were thinking of spending about CAD 100 each max if possible. We should be hiring a car from the airport so transport should not be a problem. The ghost tour sounds really nice hehehe. Thanks very much for the information .. as soon as i find some good hotels i will list them here to see what you thinks! thanks again people! :)

You may have troubles getting $100 max in Calgary. We're going through an oil and gas boom and prices are rising.

Google "Calgary Motel Village". The hotels/motels in Motel Village are typically good and very close to light rail transportation.

Parking downtown is also very expensive if you're renting a car. Best if you take the Ctrain (light rail transportation) from Motel Village.

Archived