Eurostar with Scooter

We're taking the overnight train from Barcelona to Paris after a 2-week TA cruise. My husband can walk, but he's slow and has a balance issue, so we will be traveling with his 4-wheel scooter. The scooter easily comes apart in 4 pieces. Has anyone taken the Eurostar with a scooter? Will there be someone to help us get it on and off the train along with our luggage? We have a deluxe cabin on the train. I know it will be very small, but will there be room for the scooter (taken apart, of course) and our luggage? Any comments are appreciated.

The Eurostar only goes from Paris or Brussels to London, under the English Channel, so I don't think you're on the Eurostar. There is a deluxe train that goes overnight from Barcelona to Paris, leaving around 9 p.m. and arriving around 9 a.m. in Paris. There are 3 classes on this train: tourist, business and deluxe/first. I assume you are in the top class. If you go on RailEurope.com you can enter your route, look at the schedule and click on the train number, which will take you to a map of the cars. Your compartment has 2 seats which convert to 2 berths at night. You have a private bathroom.

All compartments on trains are small, even deluxe compartments. There is little room for a lot of luggage. You can't just show up at a station and expect them to check your luggage like on Amtrak. If you want to check your luggage you have to arrange this in advance. My wife and I took an overnight train (a supposedly deluxe train) from Milan to Barcelona about 15 years ago. We had a similar setup. We ended up putting most of the luggage inside the shower stall; otherwise we wouldn't be able to move around at all, and at the time my wife wasn't using a scooter, which she does now.

Frankly, if I were you, I would fly. Despite the romantic aura of an overnight rail trip in Europe, we found the reality left much to be desired. We booked it because my wife loves trains, but she wouldn't do it again. Day trains are okay, but the overnight trains are more hassle than they are worth, in my opinion.

Thank you for your reply and comments. I was mistaken. We're on the train that leaves Barcelona at 9:30pm and arrives Paris at 9:00am, just as you said. I guess we'll hope for the best, as my husband already purchased our ticket on line.

TA or train line and LET THEM KNOW you are disabled. They can help you with transfers or at least be prepared to help you. If you are in a power scooter and have to leave it out of your immediate area, pull one battery or turn it around so it won't run, and it will deter thieves and joy riders. Travel the highest class that you can afford.

• 1 month later...

The overnight train was an experience! The cabin (with bathroom) was about the size of a queen size bed. If we didn't have 3 pieces of luggage from our 14-day cruise, I think it would have been easier with the scooter, but we managed. The porter was very helpful and carried all the luggage & scooter parts to our cabin. We piled as much as we could in the shower and made room for the leftovers. Dinner & breakfast were great, but it was a bit noisy for sleeping. Glad we did it, but not sure we'd do it again.

Maggie

• 2 months later...

Maggie:

I'm glad to hear you survived the train trip. Not exactly the magical aura of "Murder on the Orient Express" is it?? Sounds like they should re-label the shower and just call it what it really is -- "Closet"!

Phil

Archived