Better snorkeling in Cozumel or Grand Cayman, total novices

golf4food

We have never snorkeled but would like to on our cruise. We are trying to get ideas of where would be the best places to go with our kids, 16, 13, 13. Two of our stops are Cozumel and Grand Cayman, which one would be the best? Also, how long are the tours for snorkeling? We have 6 1/2 hours in Cozumel and all day in Grand Cayman.

We snorkeled in both Cozumel and Grand Cayman a few years ago and found Grand Cayman much nicer. The water was crystal clear and we saw loads of gorgeous brilliantly colored fish on the Reef & Wreck tour.

We have never snorkeled but would like to on our cruise. We are trying to get ideas of where would be the best places to go with our kids, 16, 13, 13. Two of our stops are Cozumel and Grand Cayman, which one would be the best? Also, how long are the tours for snorkeling? We have 6 1/2 hours in Cozumel and all day in Grand Cayman.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to both places multiple times for snorkeling and by far Cozumel would be my first choice for beginners. Go to Chankenaab National park and you will not have to venture very far offshore and it is usually calm there most times. You will see a wide variety of fish there and corals. It gets quite deep right away there. Good facilities are also right there. Grand Cayman has a nice coral garden offshore on their Stingray City tour which is included for a short snorkel experience however being on the north side of the island it can have rough seas at times. You can also snorkel just to the left of the tender dock in front of the restaraunt and it is calm there most times with things to see. Hope this helps.

Cozumel has really strong currents that could get you in trouble if you get too far out. Grand Caymen has some great snorkel spots right down the street from where the tenders will drop you off. Don't use a ship's excursion, no need to pay that much...use the money instead to get your own mask, snorkel and fins.

Both places have awesome visibility and stuff to see, but Cozumel can be a little blah at times.

Dale

PADI OWSI

It really depends on which locations you go, at each port.

Cozumel has current running from south to north. It's drift diving or drift snorkeling. You will drift. But the water is usually very clear. My BIL and SIL did their first ever snorkeling from boat (that I went diving on), and it was great. They then did the Cayman Stingray City tour and also snorkeling trip. The snorkeling at Cayman at that location is so so. But there are other very good snorkeling locations in Cayman.

In Cayman, a few hundred yard south of the cruise terminal is Eden Rock. There you can do shore snorkeling. It's free and it's half decent snorkeling (and diving)

Both Cozumel and Cayman islands are considered among the top for diving/snorkeling in the Caribbeans. You should enjoy both places.

We did an excursion (outside of the ship) with Eagle Ray Divers. It is a mom and pop kind of business. Small boats (old, small boat) but it really didn't matter because we had a great time.

There were only 7 of us on board and they took us to 3 different places. The cool thing is that they will drop you in the water and let you go with the current so you don't need to worry about swimming, just float and enjoy! They of course take the boat to meet you. The boat is never far.

They have a guide in the water with you with a life preserver if you get tired.

The best thing about this excursion is that they do not take you with the other 300-400 people on the catamarans. We watched as 4 catamarans went past us each carrying 100 people. We had cruise friends who took this and said it was so crowded.

I asked our guy if that is where we were going and he just smiled and took us on our way. So beautiful and peaceful!!!!

The marina is only about 10 minutes from the pier and it was very easy to grab a cab.

My DS and I went with Eagle Ray Divers last year. We did the Discover Scuba with them. It was just the two of us, the dive master and the boat captain!!!! We did two dives and I loved it so much that I came home and got certified. The Dive Master was very attentive and watched over us like a hawk. We are planning another trip in May of 2009, and hopefully dive with them again.

ERD also had a snorkling boat leave the same time we did.... only 6 people on board. While we were diving, we saw the "cattle" boat of cruise snorklers..... can't see how the fish would even stay in that area with so many swimmers!!!!!

Hope this was helpful

Paul

http://www.eagleraydivers.com/

music girl,

Where was the Eagle Ray Dives?

While in Grand Cayman have you considered a shore snorkel? Eden Rock and Sunset House both have "house reefs" which start just off shore and you enter from the beach. The advantages are of course cost, you have five people (assuming the adults join the kids) so there's a bit of cost for a boat snorkel, it's free if you bring your own gear or a small cost if you rent (both locations rent gear), the water's dead calm all the time, if the kids get bored you can have some shore time, and you can spend as much, or little time as you want (Eden Rock is walkable from the cruise dock and Sunset House is a quick >5 min, taxi ride with taxis to get back to the docks). You'll find great reefs and great visibility at both.

Chankenaab National Park is great in Cozumel but then again there's an entrance fee, not in the two locations in GC I mentioned above.

Randall

Archived