RE: Fort James Beach

firefighterjake

CruiseCritic.com was very, very useful to me when I was planning the cruise that my wife and I went on last week (our first, but definitely not our last cruise . . . I think I'm hooked!) . . . as a result I wanted to give something back by posting a few threads on the places I went to and the folks I meant . . . maybe others will find these as useful as I found other threads at this site.

----------------------

My wife and I were on board the Carnival Destiny and while in Antigua we wanted to have a "down" day after several days of back-to-back tours and so we were going to the beach.

I had my mind set on Darkwoods, but at the last minute we opted to go to Fort James Beach . . . since it was a) closer to port and b) there was a geocache I could grab at Fort James.

I cannot say how happy I was with the decision . . . this was a great beach . . . not crowded at all with nice, warm turquoise-blue waters that I really, really enjoyed swimming in. For shell collectors there are some nice areas to pick up shells and for history buffs you can take a very short walk down the beach to Fort James.

My wife and I could care less about services, but there appeared to be a nearby restaurant of sorts with food and drink, there were some vendors at the beach entrance which offered clothing for sale, but were not pushy . . . and we met Stacy (a wonderful lady from Jamaica) who gave us both professional massages (something that neither one of us have had or indulge in) . . . if you go here I would definitely indulge in a massage and talk to Stacy as she was very personable and a bargain at $1 per minute.

The taxi drivers at the port all told me that snorkeling would not be good at Fort James and I have to say they were right . . . the waves (small ones) managed to stir things up so you couldn't really snorkel, but I simply enjoyed the warm water and found it to be very refreshing.

As an amateur photog I was also pleased to get some great shots at the nearby fort and the cliffs . . .

Lewis, a taxi cab driver and owner of a small neighborhood grocery store, that we met at the port gave us a ride to the beach and was there when we asked him to return.

All in all, this beach was very nice and very under-rated . . . this beach alone has made me want to return to Antigua and see the other 364 beaches!

I agree with everything that you said about this beach. When we were there in March of last year there was a building that looked like it was going to be restrooms is it finished yet?

Glad you enjoyed you day in Antigua.

Karysa

I agree with everything that you said about this beach. When we were there in March of last year there was a building that looked like it was going to be restrooms is it finished yet?

Glad you enjoyed you day in Antigua.

Karysa

I never went to the restroom, but my wife did . . . as to where or if this was the building you mention, I'm not sure.

And yes . . . I really, really enjoyed by day in Antigua.

Dickinson beach is about 5 minutes further and it has the watersports. Lot's to do at that beach, it is active, pretty and a great beach to walk. Fort James beach itself, as I remember, was lovely and the water calm and blue, but the area where we parked had litter and looked like a party or two had happened there in the not too distant past. That might have changed in the last year. I don't remember palm trees but there were shade trees, it was peaceful and we found great shells and washed up sea glass.

Karysa

Does anyone have any pictues they could post? Also, are there any water sports to rent....(I have two teenagers)? Somewhere I read that there is some kind of slide that goes into the water. Is that true?

I'll try to post some pics later on . . . I've got close to 300 pics and they're all hi-res so I have to spend some time downsizing them so I can upload them easier.

I don't recall seeing any water sports . . . and the blow-up slide that I saw set up didn't go into the water on the day I was there. It looked more like the type of slide you would see set up at a state fair.

Archived