Help Me Decide Which Charter Sail to Take!!

We will be visiting St. Thomas in July. I previously did a say sail on Rumbaba that I absolutely loved. However, they are not available for our date so I am forced to find another company to use. So far I have compiled the following list of companies available:

Jolly Mon

Interline Sail

Winifred

Highpockets

Ike Witt Charters

Does anyone have any recommendations or opinions of these companies? I would like to know if you enjoyed the snorkeling sites, the staff, and the food provided.

One of my largest concerns is the entrance and exit for the vessel. I will be 5 months pregnant at the time of the sail, so climbing a fold up ladder up the side of the boat would not be possible. Could you please tell me how easy it was for you to board and to go in and out of the water.

Thank you all for your help and opinions. I am sure you will come through for me!!:D

We were just on the Winifred- and it was an amazing, relaxing day. The staff just includes Sharon (the capt) and Jacqui (assistant, naturalist, cook) who was awesome because she knew a lot about the fish and other wildlife and would bring them up for us to see. Getting on and off the boat shouldn't be a problem if you don't intend on snorkling- that was the only time we had to use the ladder on the side of the boat. The food was amazing, all in all it was a great day- highly recommend it!

We were just on the Winifred- and it was an amazing, relaxing day. The staff just includes Sharon (the capt) and Jacqui (assistant, naturalist, cook) who was awesome because she knew a lot about the fish and other wildlife and would bring them up for us to see. Getting on and off the boat shouldn't be a problem if you don't intend on snorkling- that was the only time we had to use the ladder on the side of the boat. The food was amazing, all in all it was a great day- highly recommend it!

I do want to snorkel. Is it a difficult climb up the ladder.

Catherine,

I've done both Jolly Mon and Island Girl for the half day sail and snorkeling (snorkeling both times was terrific). Both are private yachts (in the 35 - 45 foot range) and require agility to climb the boat ladder from the water to the boat. I recall that Island Girl's ladder was a bit easier than the homemade wooden version put out by Jolly Mon. Both boats grabbed a mooring so there is no dock space for you to climb up on first. I'm a large girl and had no problem (but I own a sailboat with a similar ladder set up and I'm used to it).

Good luck.

Jeri

it wasn't hard to climb up the ladder as they have you take your fins off before hand, and they were very willing to help you out with a hand hold if need be. I think they would be an excellent choice for you upcoming cruise, a very relaxing day with great snorkeling or just floating (like I like to do)

We have done both Winnifred's and Highpockets. I would have to say that we enjoyed the day more with Highpockets. We found the meal was more to our liking and the drinks were endless (this shouldn't be an issue for you since you are pregnant!). Sharon on Highpockets is a nurse so..... Whichever you chose, you will not regret it. Sailing in St. Thomas is always one of the highlights of our cruises. Good luck with your decision.

Kim

Do any of the recommended boats take more than 6 passengers. There is 7-9 in our group and Island Girl only takes 6. When I inquired to the Island Girl and found out they had a limit of 6th I asked if they could recommend another charter that could accommodate more pass. but they said there were none they would recommend.

Anyone have recommendations?

Any help is greatly appreciated

We loved our day on HighPockets - Kathleen is a lot of fun and a great cook, as well as a nurse (Sharon is on Winifred, I believe).

As far as accomodating more than 6 passengers, most of the day sail operators have licensing called a "6 pack," meaning that's the number they are licensed to carry. I've read of one sailboat that takes more, but don't remember the name. Maybe NightWinds?

I would highly recommend Kathleen with highpockets. She was awesome. We just sailed with her in Feb. & it was by far the best excursion we have done in 12 cruises. Her food was so awesome I had her e-mail me the recipes. She is wonderful & will go out of her way to make your day wonderful!!!!!!!!!! She too only can take 6 though.

Yes, Kathleen (My mistake) is on Highpockets and she is amazing as stated. Her first mate is Karen. Someone mentioned doing a tandem sail. I would email Kathleen on Highpockets and I'm sure she would able to do this with the sailboat her firstmate (Karen) husband is on as long as his ship is available. The day we went out, Karen's husbands sailboat was anchored not far from ours and we did get to meet him.

Don't miss sailing in St. Thomas!

Kim:)

I had forgotten about the possibility of a tandem! Another family on our Serenade sailing that year was on Daysail Fantasy and we "semi-tandemed" with them - stayed in the same general area and came and went at the same time. Kathleen asked if we wanted to do a tandem, and we all said it wasn't necessary to stay together.

Archived