South America tour operators

traveld

Does anyone have any recommendations on any tour operators that they have used to arrange pre and/or post cruise sightseeing? We are cruising from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso next year and are planning to visit Rio and Iguassu Falls pre-cruise and Santiago post-cruise.

Any thoughts and/or recommendations on whether to make the arrangements (hotel, air travel, transfers, sightseeing, etc.) on our own, or use a travel agency specialliziing in South America?

What have any of you done regarding shore excursions? Most cruise line offerings are pretty expensive. Is it easy to go it on your own or have you used a tour operator to set things up for you?

Any help/advice woud be appreciated. Thanks

First question is when are you sailing?? Maybe we are on the same cruise.

Here are two reviews of the Buenos Aires to Valparaiso itinerary that I have found very helpful. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=293376

post 53 gives the list of tour companies he used. Also check out Cathy's review (and her pictures) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=738722. In the thread, but not in the review, she lists the companies that she used. There are others but these are the two that I have found and read. Keep reading--there are lots of tour operators mentioned in various posts--you just have read until you find them since there is no definitive list.

Most of the ports will need tours since what is to be seen is a distance from the ship; I am looking at private tours (either pre-arranged or on the dock) in all of the ports except Montevideo (where we can wonder on our own). Some reviews have suggested that the ships have exclusives on some of the best penguin viewing locations and so I may break down and book a shorex or two. I've been using the ship's shorex brochure to help me figure out what I want to see and to compare prices. In a way, it is easier than reading guide books.

I still haven't decided whether to turn the land arrangements over to a travel agency (we have 6 nights pre- and possibly one night post-). There are a couple of agencies that have been mentioned and I am in the process of checking them out and getting quotes.

Hope this helps.

It is early. Some hotels haven't released rooms yet and the tour operators are just finishing the season and haven't yet begun to think of next season. I've been researching and reading for about six weeks and I am just about getting to the point where I am ready to make some decisions about hotels. After that, I will work on tours. I'd like to find people to share the private tours with us and hopefully there will be enough activity on our roll-call to be able to find people who are interested in joining us. A group of six sounds just right.

We sail on January 4, which puts us in Buenos Aires for New Year's. DH teaches part-time at a local university so between his regular work schedule (again, half days; he says 12 hours a day is enough) and school we are somewhat limited in dates. The 1/4/09 sailing works perfectly and he is back in time to teach.

We cruised Star Princess Valparaiso to Buenos Aires in March. We flew in the day before sailing and had a wonderful private tour of Santiago, Indomia Winery, Valparaiso, and Vina Del Mar through TurismoNuevoMundo.com. Patrick (very nice and knowledgeable) was our tour guide, and we had a new van. We did have to pay ahead of time. They picked us up at the airport and delivered us to our hotel in Vina Del Mar afterward. The next day they took us to the port in Valparaiso.

Post cruise, we also booked with them in Buenos Aires for a full day tour and transfer to the airport that evening. Rosa was our tour guide, and once again, we had a nice van. She was wonderful and showed us a great time in the city. Lunch was also included, and it was fantastic!

In Puerto Montt, we used GV Tours. We also had a great tour with them at a very reasonable price. We went to Petrohue Falls, a llama farm, the German town Frutillar, the big lake (can't remember how to spell the name), shopping, lunch (included). Our tour guide, Klaus, did a great job showing us the beautiful country in which he lives.

In Punta Areanas, we went to the Andean Club and mountain trek. It was beautiful and fun, but let me warn you, you must be in good shape to handle the trails down the mountain. It had been raining and was quite muddy and slippery. The young, fit tour guides helped me make it safely down the mountain - but I was tired! Some people we talked to had gone to see the penguins and loved it. This would have probably been more my speed, but then, how many people do you know who can say, "Hey, I've trekked down a mountain in Patagonia!"

In Ushuaia, we took the ship's tour to the "end of the world" road and through the national park. It was also very pretty, and, then again, how many people can say they walked on the road to the "end of the world!"

In the Falkland Islands, we just walked around the town. The penguins had pretty much already gone by mid-March. We did have fish and chips in Deano's Pub, though.

In Montevideo, we again took the ship's bus city tour. Very inexpensive and we saw a lot and took a lot of pictures. We still had plenty of time to walk down to the market square for shopping, etc. I really liked this city. Tourist friendly!

Everything we did was memorable! The people are so friendly and accommodating. I just wish that I had been able to speak Spanish. That is something I'm working on now. Also, if it had been possible, I would have loved to go on to Antartica. Maybe next time?! :rolleyes:

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences. It will be very helpful as we plan what to do on our cruise. I take it that you went straight home after BA and did not stop to vist Rio or Iguassu Falls?

We are currently planning to add Rio and the Falls to our trip. Anyone have any advice for doing this?

Hi traveld,

We have not yet been on this cruise - we're leaving BA on Feb 1, 2008. We have been working with WOW! Argentina, a local travel agency and have been very pleased with the amout of time and professional approach of Cintia (owner). She is arranging tansfers, hotel (at a very good price) and a full day tour of BA and Tigre for us. I know she will also make arrangements for Igauzu Falls - not sure about Rio as it is in Brazil.

We have also booked with GV Tours in Puerto Montt, Patrick Watts in The Falklands, and Christian Montenegro in Santiago for pick up from the ship, a full day tour including a winery, and drop off at the airport. We are also still considering Monica in Puerto Madryn - you must read cathyk2's review and see her pictures as peregrina recommended!

Most of the other tour companies I have contacted regarding tours at our other ports have not replied!

All this research is fun! but very time consuming!!

Dot

Thanks for sharing your information. I assume you mean 2009 though? Are you able/Would you mind sharing more specifics, like the hotel and cost? If you would prefer not including that information on this posting, you can email me at dale_w@hotmail.com.

We're gonig to be traveling around the same time frame and have just started looking into land arrangements. Are you doing your own air or are you using cruiseline air? Have you already booked your flight arrangements? Anything you can tell me about that?

AuntDot

We will be on the NCL Sun the exact same time frame as you are. Unfortunately, you appear to have more time in the Falklands than we do. Can you let me know the timing details for pick-up and drop off for your tour with Patrick Watts? Are you planning on going to Volunteer Point?

Thanks

Hi Carmelita,

We are going to Volunteer Point. Here is what Patrick Watts said about the day...

'The whole tour takes 6-7 hours but the off-road section is about one hour and 15 minutes. The gravel road section (quite smooth) takes one hour. I can assure that that on my small convoys all my drivers travel slowly and with care. we allow about 2 hours at this excellent location.'

So the first hour is on a road, the second hour and a bit is on the peat/grass which makes about 4.5 hrs of traveling time back and forth.

Our ship is scheduled from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM and Patrick has just said to get off at the earliest possible time. I am not sure how they handle different ships arriving at different times - perhaps some drivers take one group and other drivers wait for another ship.

'I always ask my passengers to try and get off the ship on the FIRST tender as this ensures a quick departure for the location and more time with the penguins.'

I'm sure if you email him he will tell you - he was very good at answering my questions.

Hope this helps!

Dot

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have any recommendations on any tour operators that they have used to arrange pre and/or post cruise sightseeing? We are cruising from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso next year and are planning to visit Rio and Iguassu Falls pre-cruise and Santiago post-cruise.

Any thoughts and/or recommendations on whether to make the arrangements (hotel, air travel, transfers, sightseeing, etc.) on our own, or use a travel agency specialliziing in South America?

What have any of you done regarding shore excursions? Most cruise line offerings are pretty expensive. Is it easy to go it on your own or have you used a tour operator to set things up for you?

Read my cruise notes!

Archived