Jersey hotel about an hour from cruise terminal?

ChBoxers800

We will be driving up to NY from MD for our September cruise. Have no problem parking at the terminal or driving into NYC, have done it many, many times and a Sunday morning should be a breeze.

Question is this. Since we are 3 hours away, we are going to drive up the night before. Just don't want to take the chance on a vehicle breakdown, traffic tie up etc the morning of the cruise.

So we're looking for a reasonably priced hotel in NJ. Nothing special, just clean and a place to sleep. Pretty much any chain would be fine.

We just dont' know the area well enough to begin to know where to start looking. No reason to get real close to NYC and pay the higher prices.

So can anyone recommend a hotel (or a town even?) in NJ that would have reasonably priced hotels an hour or less from NYC?

Coming up from MD, I'm assuming you'll be taking the NJ Turnpike b/c that's the way I always go. There are tons of reasonably priced hotels in the New Brunswick, Edison, Woodbridge area up & down Route 1. There's a Hilton on Route 18 a few hundred yards off the Tpk. Use any any decent travel site with those towns & pick your favorite. Make sure you get directions from the NJ Tpk & that its close. You will be about an hour to the various Hudson River crossings.

We will be driving up to NY from MD for our September cruise. Have no problem parking at the terminal or driving into NYC, have done it many, many times and a Sunday morning should be a breeze.

Question is this. Since we are 3 hours away, we are going to drive up the night before. Just don't want to take the chance on a vehicle breakdown, traffic tie up etc the morning of the cruise.

So we're looking for a reasonably priced hotel in NJ. Nothing special, just clean and a place to sleep. Pretty much any chain would be fine.

We just dont' know the area well enough to begin to know where to start looking. No reason to get real close to NYC and pay the higher prices.

So can anyone recommend a hotel (or a town even?) in NJ that would have reasonably priced hotels an hour or less from NYC?

Around Bordentown (Exit 7A-NJ Turnpike), there is a wealth of hotels-most cheap and clean-Econo Lodge, Comfort Inn, Days Inn, etc. etc.

Exit 10 approx- Edison/New Brunswick/Piscataway- there are also a lot of hotels that are cheap and clean. Use Priceline-should get a 3* hotel for about $100.00. Book the highest star rating possible in the area.

Secaucus/Meadowlands/Rutherford-Exit 16W-again Priceline-3*-should get Sheraton/Renaissance/Crowne Plaza for about $100.00.

From Secaucus-straight EAST on 495/Rt 3, through the Lincoln Tunnel. You are now about 15 blocks south of the port.

Just a follow up. I just booked 2 rooms (used hotwire which I love!) for the Sheraton in Meadowlands for 8 people. 2 rooms, 210.00 for all. A great deal and only 8 miles from the cruise terminal. Thanks again for all your help. Having some town/area names to narrow my search to really helped! :D

Just a follow up. I just booked 2 rooms (used hotwire which I love!) for the Sheraton in Meadowlands for 8 people. 2 rooms, 210.00 for all. A great deal and only 8 miles from the cruise terminal. Thanks again for all your help. Having some town/area names to narrow my search to really helped! :D

Congrats!!!! I told you-about $100.00 per night. I stay at the Sheraton Meadowlands frequently. Always book through Priceline and have never paid more than about $100 per night. Sometimes as low as $45.00 per night. Full service hotel, all the business services I need AND Starwood points, even on a Priceline reservation.

Archived