Switch Travel Agent, keep cabin #???

thevern2006

I am wondering if I want to 'fire' my travel agent, can I go to another agent, while keeping the reservation and specifically selected cabin #? Or do I have to cancel entirely and lose that cabin? Basically, does the TA have ownership of the booking?

As long as you have not made the final payment you can move to another agency. Most cruise lines will require your current agent to transfer the booking to the new agent. Call the cruise line and ask them what their exact policy is so you know how to proceed

Why do you want to "fire" your travel agent?

When we originally booked, we requested the fare in CND dollars which our invoice indicates. The reason was that Cunard had finally adjusted fares and they were identical. We were however, charged in US dollars. This was 4 months ago. We have sent at least 7 emails to have this corrected and nothing has been done despite several assurances. We chose CND dollars to insulate ourselves from any drop in the currency and do not want to pay 3-5% more than we should. Further to this, the price has decreased on virtually every online booking engine I have come across, and yet our agent seems unwilling to look into whether we might benefit. So, can we just take this booking elsewhere? Is the original price, cabin and amenities at risk?

When we originally booked, we requested the fare in CND dollars which our invoice indicates. The reason was that Cunard had finally adjusted fares and they were identical. We were however, charged in US dollars. This was 4 months ago. We have sent at least 7 emails to have this corrected and nothing has been done despite several assurances. We chose CND dollars to insulate ourselves from any drop in the currency and do not want to pay 3-5% more than we should. Further to this, the price has decreased on virtually every online booking engine I have come across, and yet our agent seems unwilling to look into whether we might benefit. So, can we just take this booking elsewhere? Is the original price, cabin and amenities at risk?

Did you book with a Canadian or US based agency?

With Cunard, agencies can only charge their clients in the agencies local currency. I am US based, I have many Canadian clients. I can only quote in US dollars and invoice in US dollars as Cunard pays my agency in US dollars.

There is no mechanism at Cunard to change the currency on a booking. I've tried. The booking will need to be cancelled. Then you may rebook.

What booking engines have you been using online? I've not seen one yet which quotes in Canadian dollars. Also just because a price is lower online, doesn't mean you would qualify for the lower rate. The new rate code may be restricted to new bookings only.

Very interesting discussion.Since I too am shopping for a Fall 2009 Cunard (or possibly X or HAL) European sailing - I would be interested in knowing whether this policy is limited to Cunard or do other line institute this policy as well. I have access to both a US & Canadian bank account and will book with whatever agency gives me the most bang for my $ considering the falling $US value. Thanks for your information.

Did you book with a Canadian or US based agency?

With Cunard, agencies can only charge their clients in the agencies local currency. I am US based, I have many Canadian clients. I can only quote in US dollars and invoice in US dollars as Cunard pays my agency in US dollars.

There is no mechanism at Cunard to change the currency on a booking. I've tried. The booking will need to be cancelled. Then you may rebook.

What booking engines have you been using online? I've not seen one yet which quotes in Canadian dollars. Also just because a price is lower online, doesn't mean you would qualify for the lower rate. The new rate code may be restricted to new bookings only.

Presumabaly if i cancel and rebook, it will have to be at the prevailing rate. If I simply move the booking to a new agency, can I keep the fare I currently have as well as onboard credits if the current fare is not attractive?

Presumabaly if i cancel and rebook, it will have to be at the prevailing rate. If I simply move the booking to a new agency, can I keep the fare I currently have as well as onboard credits if the current fare is not attractive?

Not necessarily. The rate may be a group rate and the onboard credit a group amenity. The new agency may not have a group.. or the same rate.

Yes, if you cancel and rebook, it will be at the prevailing rate. BUT if the prevailing rate is a restricted rate... new bookings only.....you cannot cancel and rebook at the restricted rate.

If even you elected to have Cunard take the booking inhouse, you'd lose the onboard credit.

Was your credit card charged by Cunard for the deposit or by the agency??

It was charged by Cunard on my credit card. Does this make a difference?

The other question I had is if I book a different cruise with Cunard directly and then transfer it to an agency, does my rate stay the same or does it decrease to the agency's best available rate?

It was charged by Cunard on my credit card. Does this make a difference?

The other question I had is if I book a different cruise with Cunard directly and then transfer it to an agency, does my rate stay the same or does it decrease to the agency's best available rate?

If your card was charged in US dollars by Cunard, then your booking is in US dollars, not Canadian.

If you book directly with Cunard and you transfer the booking to an agency, they would refare your booking if they had a group rate which was lower.

This thread is interesting. So with the restrictions on booking and some of the best prices being restricted to new bookings only, is there any real incentive to book early on? It sounds like if you do, you may have excluded yourself from any sales or promotions that come along. Maybe Babette can advise how long after cancellation of a booking, you are deemed not eligible for 'new booking only' fares.

This thread is interesting. So with the restrictions on booking and some of the best prices being restricted to new bookings only, is there any real incentive to book early on? It sounds like if you do, you may have excluded yourself from any sales or promotions that come along. Maybe Babette can advise how long after cancellation of a booking, you are deemed not eligible for 'new booking only' fares.

It depends is the best answer.

Let's say you book early on...on a past pax farecode, which is the best rate for you at the time of booking. Then they come out with a regional promotion covering where you live. You can be refared to the lower rate... or if there's enough difference... upgrade for free. Sometimes, if the sailing is really slow...... they'll come out with many different regional farecodes.. thereby lowering the rate. These can be refared not a problem.

The one farecode which is resricted to new bookings only is FLASH. And if the sailing is a real dog..........those FLASH rates can be issued several times.

Now, if you are sailing at a popular time..and sales are brisk........you'l never see FLASH promotions... and regionals will only be on those categories they are having trouble moving.... and sometimes we just never see them at all.

FLASH rates will not combine with any group promotion... so for those who book the higher categories...you can sometimes shoot yourself in the foot. And sometimes the FLASH promos are only available on double occupancy cabins... and sometimes they are just guarantees.. no cabin assignments. So you take your chances, as they say.

Also if you book at one rate.. and the agency gives you obc in lieu of discount, if your booking is refared... you'll lose part of the obc, because the gency can't rebate what they haven't earned.

Needless to say, if you are booking a triple or quad for a busy time of year, you need to book early.

FLASH rates typically come out AFTER final payment is made so you'd be subject to cancellation penalties. And sometimes the come out just two weeks prior to departure. You just never know.

Thanks Babette. Couple other questions: Will agencies have group rates already when 2009 goes on sale next week? If not when do they usually become available?

Secondly, if a voyage is deposited, and then cancelled, how long does it normally take Cunard to refund the deposit? Is it sent to the booking agent for them to refund, or is it refunded straight to the passenger's credit card? Lastly, can a deposit simply be transferred from a cancelled booking to a new one?

Thanks Babette. Couple other questions: Will agencies have group rates already when 2009 goes on sale next week? If not when do they usually become available?

Secondly, if a voyage is deposited, and then cancelled, how long does it normally take Cunard to refund the deposit? Is it sent to the booking agent for them to refund, or is it refunded straight to the passenger's credit card? Lastly, can a deposit simply be transferred from a cancelled booking to a new one?

Groups will be open for blocking on the 17th, they say.

Cunard is pretty swift with refunds. Mine took three days. It is refunded directly to whatever payment source was used to make deposit.

Yes, if you decide to change voyages, the new voyage is booked, then the deposit moved from the original. Then the original booking is cancelled. Depending upon the pricing, you may owe more on the new booking. Deposits are 25% of CUNARD'S pricing.. not the agencies.

So if booking through an agent on the 17th, would one likely be getting a group fare? Or would that take a couple of days?

Depends if they open their groups on the 17th. Depends on the category you wish to book. Depends on what it is you're looking to book.

Thanks for the replies. I have called Cunard myself and asked if a US travel agent can book my voyage in CND dollars. After a long wait on hold, I was advised they could. I know this conflicts with what was said here, but that is what I was told. Secondly, many online booking engines will quote CND dollar fares providing you indicate you are from Ontario or some other Canadian province.

In any event, while my invoice says CND dollars, I was booked in US by my agent. Notwithstanding I noticed this error immediately, over 4 months ago, the agent did nothing about it, even though they promised it would be corrected straight away. Today I was told that if I wanted CND dollars, I would have to cancel and rebook at a higher fare. When I asked who was responsible for this, the agent or Cunard, the agent would not answer. Basically I was told 'tough'. So, the only way I will be paying what I was promised, quoted, and invoiced, is if the CND dollar rises in value by about 5 cents in the next few months. Unlikely.

Archived