My review of cruising with 1 year old

sunrise&set

Since you all were soooo helpful to me when planning my cruise, I wanted to share a review of my experience cruising with my 13 month old DS.

We sailed on NCL Dawn the week of March 23. We booked an AE suite so we’d have plenty of room for his pack-n-play, a tub in the bathroom and a bigger balcony for his blow up tub!! We chose NCL for the freestyle dining because we thought this would work better for DS, and it did. Although, DH and I do prefer having the same wait staff as we do on other lines. We went on a 7 night cruise with 4 ports of call since DS couldn’t go in the pools – we enjoyed lots of beach time. We had 2 sea days and enjoyed roaming the ship and spending time on our balcony – we didn’t miss the pool at all. NCL provided a pack-n-play but used regular sheets. Because of CC I knew to bring my own sheet! Our room was set up with a curtain that divided our bed from the sitting area, so we could put DS down to nap or to bed and he couldn’t see us – this worked out beautifully!

When we got to the port, we were able to check in through the VIP line which was very fast. The regular lines were very long so this was a great perk. We had brought an umbrella stroller that had a basket underneath and reclined, and DS loved being in it. Since we had a larger room, we never had to fold it up – it was always ready to go!

DS did very well at dinner, although the service was sometimes too slow. We never had a problem getting a high chair. The staff all over the ship treated him like royalty. Not a single negative comment to be heard. Since it was a Spring Break week, there were lots of kids on board, even many the same age as DS. We did have to leave dinner early a couple of times. The staff tried so hard to make him smile, and he definitely had a few favorites. We had breakfast in our room every day around 9 am and DS was still sleeping a few of those mornings – he slept great!

We had a CC Meet and Greet from our Roll Call which went very well. One of the couples bought DS a baseball hat with his name on it (thanks Dave & Sandy!) so Matthew thought it was pretty cool that everyone knew his name!

For excursions, we planned on spending time at the beaches. Normally I book private tours but I did book through the ship for 2 of the ports:

Samana – We did the Cayo Levantado Beach break. The beach was beautiful!!! Matthew loved playing in the sand – so sand toys are a must! He also loved, loved, loved the water. We brought our pool float from home and this worked out great because the water was calm. This picture is from Great Stirrup Cay but shows you the float.

NCLGreatStirrupCay3-29-08_23.jpg

St. Thomas – we booked the St. John’s Beach escape through the ship. I was hesitant because of all the travel time but we were already spending enough time at beaches. He loved the ferry ride. I had always wanted to go to Trunk Bay and it was absolutely beautiful!

NCLSt-12.jpg

NCLSt-47.jpg

Tortola – the weather was cloudy with a little rain but the sun did come out. We did a little walking around through the stores and then took a taxi to Cane Garden Bay. I wanted to go to Brewer’s Bay but our driver said the surf was very rough. He was right! It was rough at Cane Garden too with the waves coming up to the 2nd row of lounge chairs. Matthew still loved it!

One suggestion I have with DS is to get those UV one piece bathing suits. They dry fast and the sand doesn’t stick to them as much as a regular bathing suit. Easy on and off and easy to rinse, and they look more comfortable too.

Great Stirrup Cay – NCL’s private island. Crowded but a perfect beach day!

Little tidbits:

- I brought too many little toys. Only need a few things as he enjoyed people watching. Sand toys are a must!

- I packed a few of his favorite snacks but they had plenty for him to eat. I brought puffs, cereal bars and other toddler snacks.

- Having a cabin with a tub was great, but the blow up tub would have fit nicely in the shower.

- A cheap umbrella stroller is much better than bringing your big stroller, but spend a little more and get one with a basket and cup holders.

- I bought the Eddie Bauer Travel car seat since we didn’t buy him a seat on the plane. Worked great for the shuttles/taxis in FL but we didn’t use them on the islands – no seatbelts that I saw.

-Bring a favorite blanket, bedtime lovey. Also bring extra pacifiers if your child uses one. It’s hard to rinse off that sand!

-A sunhat that has straps.

-He took late afternoon naps after excursions so he was a little off schedule. But this worked out nicely – DH and I could rest for a bit and get ready for dinner while he slept.

-We brought several sippy cups and a sponge and dishwashing liquid to wash them. Order milk and juice at breakfast and keep in your fridge. We bought a bottle of apple juice before going and would keep it filled up with the juice from room service. He doesn’t drink a lot of juice, just lots of water and watered down juice.

-I brought disposable bibs – much better than having a bunch of dirty bibs in your laundry!

Overall, the BEST vacation ever! Not the same as just me and DH of course, but I didn’t expect it to be. It far exceeded my expectations though and would go again tomorrow if I could!!!

If you have any questions, ask away!

I loved your pictures. He sure looks like a happy baby. Thanks for the review. We are going on this ship with our teens next spring break. We are going to the beach in Samana after we go on a trip through the mangroves. I had heard very differing opinions on that beach as well as Great Stir-Up so it was good to hear positive things and to view the pictures as well. We are planning on going to Cane Garden Beach as well.

Great hints for those traveling with one year olds and even for those who are not. Thanks for sharing.

Karysa

Samana – We did the Cayo Levantado Beach break. The beach was beautiful!!! Matthew loved playing in the sand – so sand toys are a must! He also loved, loved, loved the water. We brought our pool float from home and this worked out great because the water was calm.

Can you tell me more about this beach? I plan on doing a similar excursion w/RCCL when we cruise this summer. DD will be turning one on our cruise.:) We also will have DS's 11 & 13. How was the water? I have read on some threads that it is green and not very clear. Are there umbrellas available? Is there any snorkeling at this beach? I was hoping that there will be something for our older kids to do there. Any and all information is appreciated!

Also, how many diapers did you take for the week? I am afraid of running out!:eek:

Thanks!

Can you tell me more about this beach? I plan on doing a similar excursion w/RCCL when we cruise this summer. DD will be turning one on our cruise.:) We also will have DS's 11 & 13. How was the water? I have read on some threads that it is green and not very clear. Are there umbrellas available? Is there any snorkeling at this beach? I was hoping that there will be something for our older kids to do there. Any and all information is appreciated!

Also, how many diapers did you take for the week? I am afraid of running out!:eek:

Thanks!

I had read some of those threads too and wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised - I thought the beach was beautiful! I'll share a few more pics. I don't remember any umbrellas. I didn't snorkel but I did see a bunch of people snorkeling over on the left hand side (facing the water). They had people walking around with a small monkey and a sea lion, taking pictures. I snuck one in of my DD and her friend.

For diapers, I brought 1 1/2 packs of size 4 Pampers (I can't remember how many that is - maybe 60). I used one pack. I also put him in the Huggies overnites so brought 12 of those and only used 8 for each night we were there, including hotel. I brought a pack of Swimmies and used 1/2. I didn't figure in the time he was in Swimmies with how many diapers we would need. One pack of wipes was enough too.

NCLSamana3-25-08_05.jpg

NCLSamana3-25-08_09.jpg

NCLSamana3-25-08_18.jpg

Those are great pictures! thank you for sharing your pics and review. Do you like having the canopy that attaches to the float? We're leaving next Saturday, and saw the floats in target this week. I wasn't sure if the canopy would work.

Those are great pictures! thank you for sharing your pics and review. Do you like having the canopy that attaches to the float? We're leaving next Saturday, and saw the floats in target this week. I wasn't sure if the canopy would work.

Yes, loved the canopy because it helped keep the sun off of him. You can snap it back too, but if it's windy - hold on tight! It's like a sail.

Thanks for posting this review! We are taking our son to Alaska just before his first birthday, so your tips were helpful even though it's a very different destination.

How easily did that float fit in your luggage? We are also traveling to Hawaii in August (he'll be 15 months) and I was thinking of buying one for that trip. I'd love your thoughts!

Thanks for sharing so much great info.

Thanks for posting this review! We are taking our son to Alaska just before his first birthday, so your tips were helpful even though it's a very different destination.

How easily did that float fit in your luggage? We are also traveling to Hawaii in August (he'll be 15 months) and I was thinking of buying one for that trip. I'd love your thoughts!

Thanks for sharing so much great info.

The float folds up and has it's own carrying case (about 12 in diameter). You remove the canopy top and it only takes a minute to blow it up and empty out the air when you're done. I took a picture of it folded up in the case. It was a must have!

IMG_0003-3.jpg

Thanks for the review and awesome tips! I've been on many cruises with my ODD, but it's great to have a reminder of things I need to bring and don't bring for my YDD . I was considering the float w/ a canopy, too. Now I'll definitely get one.

Thanks!!

This wasn't my post, but I thought I'd share what worked for us last time. I bought a box of diapers (2 packs inside) and taped it better just to be safe, and then added a luggage tag. It made it to the cabin safely, and the leftovers were easy enough to pack in our suitcases on the way home. We did drive to the port though.

Thanks for the great review. We are going on a short 3 night cruise next weekend with my DH's family. I am going to get the float with the canopy. I am so worried about DD getting too much sun. I am also going to look for a one-piece UV suit for her. She does not like hats right now, so I need to keep "practicing" with her sun hat for the next week or so.

I am planning on taking the blow-up duck bathtub.

Archived