SD 1 or SD 2 for New Year's 2008-09

carlylecat

We have decided to take our 4th Sea Dream voyage this coming holiday season and can use some help deciding between the two Dec. 28th voyages

All three of our previous trips have been on SD 1, just like last time there will be 9 of us, my parents 70+; My spouse and I (40's) My sister and her husband (40's) and three children 17, 15 and 13.

These kids have all been on SD before and are begging to go back, they loved it and I believe they were pretty unobtrusive to those looking for a couples trip. I am sure we won't be the only group with children during Christmas week though.

Our number 1 priority is to be in St Barts harbor for New Year's eve and both ships will be there!

SD1 departs at 3 am according to our TA so we should be able to enjoy the scene and the fireworks on both ships - SD2 stays overnight

Other interests include golfing, surfing, shopping and dining - long lazy lunches are the hallmark of all of our previous Sea Dream experiences (especially Italy!).

Here are the itineraries, we would love comments from recent SDreamers and of course from the charter members of this board on their preferences:

SD1

28-DEC-2008, SundaySan Juan, Puerto Rico (Embarkation) 2:00 PM 6:00 PM 29-DEC-2008, MondayCulebrita, Puerto Rico Morning Afternoon 29-DEC-2008, MondayEsperanza, Vieques Afternoon Late evening 30-DEC-2008, TuesdayCruz Bay, St. John Morning Late evening 31-DEC-2008, WednesdayMarigot, St. Martin Morning Evening 31-DEC-2008, WednesdayGustavia, St. Barthelemy Evening Overnight 01-JAN-2009, ThursdayGustavia, St. Barthelemy Late evening 02-JAN-2009, FridayVirgin Gorda, BVI Morning Evening 03-JAN-2009, SaturdayJost van Dyke, BVI Morning Evening 04-JAN-2009, SundaySan Juan, Puerto Rico (Debarkation) 9:00 AM 10:00 AM

SD2

28-DEC-2008, SundaySan Juan, Puerto Rico (Embarkation) 2:00 PM 6:00 PM 29-DEC-2008, MondayCharlotte Amalie, St. Thomas Morning Afternoon 29-DEC-2008, MondayHoneymoon Beach, Water Island Afternoon Evening 30-DEC-2008, TuesdayMarigot, St. Martin Morning Evening 30-DEC-2008, TuesdayGustavia, St. Barthelemy Evening Overnight 31-DEC-2008, WednesdayGustavia, St. Barthelemy Overnight 01-JAN-2009, ThursdayAnegada, British Virgin Islands Morning Afternoon 02-JAN-2009, FridayJost van Dyke, BVI Morning Evening 03-JAN-2009, SaturdayVirgin Gorda, BVI Morning Evening 04-JAN-2009, SundaySan Juan, Puerto Rico (Debarkation) 8:00 AM 9:00 AM

Sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate the holidays carlylecat! Our DD, who is 15, was looking through the SD cookbook last night and is now on a mission to get DH and me to take her on SD:eek:

As you well know both ships are equal so it looks like it really boils down to itinerary for you and your family.

We did the SD1 itinerary two weeks ago. The only two places to shop are on St. Martin and St. Barts. In terms of golf, Mullet Bay Golf Course is on St. Martin.

The SD2 itinerary would give you shopping in St. Thomas, St. Martin and St. Barts. It would also give you golf in St. Thomas (Mahogany Run) and St. Martin (Mullet Bay).

DH and I really love the BVIs so I am partial to the SD2 itinerary ... especially Anegada.

You really can't go wrong with either itinerary! My vote is for SD2!!

They are both great itineraries - and I would have a hard time chosing - but SeaDream 1 stops at Vieques - which is an amazing stop - especially if it is a dark moon and you get into mosquito bay - the bio-luminiscent bay that glows light whenever movement is made in the water. You can either swim (creepy to me) or kayak at night and the experience is absolutely magical.

• 2 weeks later...
sd 2 it is but I must say the Vieques arguement is pretty good

DisneyJen bring that 15 yr old alond come and join our cruise with us!!!

Congrats on your decision!

We ended up compromising for Christmas ... we're heading to Walt Disney World Dec. 21 to 25.

Well have fun, we did that last year, how funny

We stayed at the ritz carlton grande lakes and had a great time, universal had a great package for a private tour, we cut off all the lines and it was just $100 per person and we got to go on teh really cool rides several times

We also ended up on SD1 as the cabin availability worked better for us

I am worried that one of our cabins is right under the spa/fitness room; have you ever heard of anyone complaining about that?

Well have fun, we did that last year, how funny

We stayed at the ritz carlton grande lakes and had a great time, universal had a great package for a private tour, we cut off all the lines and it was just $100 per person and we got to go on teh really cool rides several times

We also ended up on SD1 as the cabin availability worked better for us

I am worried that one of our cabins is right under the spa/fitness room; have you ever heard of anyone complaining about that?

I haven't heard about any noise generated by the spa/fitness room. I think that Cammiem, who is on SD2 this week, has a cabin in that vicinity (I think she is in 321). Perhaps she will check in with an answer when she returns.

I told Frequent Traveler last night that I suspect the crowds will be so large at Disney that DH will give in on the spot for a SD Christmas in '09:p

Archived