Cabin help please...

Sabiney

Sailing on Serenade in Sept in aft js. Is ship motion even a factor on the Alaska itinerary from Vancouver? I thought that an aft cabin was the way to go for Alaska until I read about the rainy days and had a "duh" moment when I remembered that I have a problem with motion sickness. I really don't look very good wearing shades of green. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. I have sooo much to learn about Alaska!

We did hit quite a bit of motion on the Serenade last August and unfortunately you will feel it more in the aft. You need to take meds starting the day before from what I have read. Sorry nothing gets me sick so I can't give you personal experience only what I have read. We had end hump cabin 8586 and we loved it. We love the aft cabins but I wanted our kids nearby since they came with us to Alaska. Click on the link in my signature for pictures if you would like.

Thank you both for the replies. I think perhaps I'd better look midship and stick with my patch. I LOVE to cruise, but HATE being sick.

Sue L your photo tour was great. Thanks for sharing.

I absolutely agree with whale watcher. We had an AFT Balcony on the Summit and absolutely loved it. I never found vibration a problem. Whale watcher is right; the front of the ship feels the motion; there can be vibration at the AFT, but that's usually on lower decks. Balconies are higher and should not be a problem at all. We loved being able to see both sides of the inside passage, and of course the extra large verandah is big plus. If one is available right now, I would book it right away! By the way, I too am prone to motion sickness and didn't have any problems at all. Of course this is my opinion, but an educated one at that!

Whale watcher is right; the front of the ship feels the motion; there can be vibration at the AFT, but that's usually on lower decks.

I disagree that the aft part of the ship experiences no or less motion than other areas -- and in some cases the aft section can be the worse place to be if, like me, yaw is the movement that affects you most.

Remember, the further away you are from amidships, the more ship's movement you will feel.

For me, of the three motions (pitch, roll and yaw) yaw is the one that gets me the most; and, aft of the ship experiences the most yaw.

However, took my chance last year on an Inside Passage cruise to Alaska. Glad I did.........the aft views from our balcony were amazing!

Archived