Kids program-possible language barrier

knitdiva

I need some advice here. We might go on a cruise in november (either in NCL Dawn or Emerald Princess) with my 4.5 year old son. The last time we tried to have him go to kids crew (NCL Dawn) he fell asleep crying in the counsellor's arm after only 20 minutes. We didn't try again. At the time he was 2 and had never been to day care or preschool. Now, he is used to the day care / preschool. The problem is that english is his second language; french being the first. I'm worried he might not be able to communicate. Of course we will teach him as much as we can before the cruise. Please reassure me!

The plan would be to leave him at the kids program for a few hours a day (2-3 hours).

What do you guys think?

Thank you!

I need some advice here. We might go on a cruise in november (either in NCL Dawn or Emerald Princess) with my 4.5 year old son. The last time we tried to have him go to kids crew (NCL Dawn) he fell asleep crying in the counsellor's arm after only 20 minutes. We didn't try again. At the time he was 2 and had never been to day care or preschool. Now, he is used to the day care / preschool. The problem is that english is his second language; french being the first. I'm worried he might not be able to communicate. Of course we will teach him as much as we can before the cruise. Please reassure me!

The plan would be to leave him at the kids program for a few hours a day (2-3 hours).

What do you guys think?

Thank you!

I don't think he will have too much of a problem. On our last cruise, many of the counselors spoke more than one language, and I know several spoke French. I also know that our son had several ESL kids in his group, and they had no difficulty at all.

I think you will be amazed at how well young children with different languages can communicate. In addition to words, there are hand gestures, and facial expressions. Just think, he might teach some of his new friends a few french words - and his English will get better too with having to use it some of the time. The younger the child, the easier to pick up a second language is.

Archived