2pm departure from Nassau?!? Not worth it?

mikeerdas

I'm looking into a Carnival cruise that has a Nassau stop. This is great, but then I checked the port time--8:30am to 2pm. What's up with the 2pm departure time? Seems like there'd be little time to do anything, least of all spent a day, with a day pass, at the Atlantis Resort--which is what me and my wife were interested in doing.

My specific questions are:

1) Why would any cruise operator choose to depart Nassau at 2pm?

2) Is 8:30am to 2pm really sufficient to enjoy oneself on Nassau, or should we not bother with any excursions and just walk around the port area?

If anything, I like cruises where there are port overnights; this is the complete opposite--hardly any day time even in a single port.

Mike

I'm looking into a Carnival cruise that has a Nassau stop. This is great, but then I checked the port time--8:30am to 2pm. What's up with the 2pm departure time? Seems like there'd be little time to do anything, least of all spent a day, with a day pass, at the Atlantis Resort--which is what me and my wife were interested in doing.

My specific questions are:

1) Why would any cruise operator choose to depart Nassau at 2pm?

2) Is 8:30am to 2pm really sufficient to enjoy oneself on Nassau, or should we not bother with any excursions and just walk around the port area?

If anything, I like cruises where there are port overnights; this is the complete opposite--hardly any day time even in a single port.

Mike

the cruiseship should have excursions tailored to the hours the ship is in port. They SHOULD have a snorkeling tour/ catamaran tour/ Beach break etc.

Most tours do standard after noon tours, but the mornings are geared toward which ships are in port. Check your shoretrips schedule.

What is the next port on that excursion? That might explain the 2:00pm departure.

If you've never been to Nassau, the time you're there is sufficient to take the self-guided tour up the Queens Staircase to Fort Fincastle, past Government House and back to the downtown area for shopping and refreshments. Everything is downtown so you're right there adjacent the ships.

BobK/Orlando

Yep, just get off the ship and walk! We did an abbreviated walking tour (based on that in the LONG thread).

Of course, we've stopped in Nassau a few times, and I'm not a shopper, so we had a nice morning just strolling around.

Believe it or not, there are things to do in Nassau other than Atlantis. :rolleyes:

Archived