Off-topic: Question for Miami residents

Bob26

I just got a job at Jackson Memorial Hospital, so we are planning to move to Miami from Northeast very soon. This way, we don't have to fly to get to cruise ships ;)

Can anyone point me to a nice area in greater Miami with good schools about 30-40 "driving minutes" away from the hospital.

I appreciate the help.

Bob.

While I know Weston is nice, I believe they had water issues for a while, didn't they? I can't remember what the issue was, but I thought it had to do with a lack of available treated water for the number of residents...or maybe it was drainage issues. I am sure most problems have been resolved as the community has been established for 10+ years. A few other nice areas are Coral Springs and Plantation - they might be just a bit too far for you to drive. Personally, while Miami is nice, you will quickly learn that you probably will be happier living in Broward County, than Miami-Dade. If you have to pick a City in Miami to settle in I would recommend Aventura - it is practically on the Broward County/Miami Dade County border. It's a bit pricey, but nice. Good luck with your move!

Weston is a beautiful town. I know, I've been living here for the past 9 years. No, there are no water issues in Weston.

I would also recommend you look in Broward County vs. trying to find something near Jackson. I think you will find a short drive well worth it to live a little north of your job. My husband works in Miami and commutes 25 miles each way on I-75 ... takes about 1/2 hour each way, time well spent. To keep you closer to Jackson you might want to check out Miramar, near the interstate...a very new community and an easy drive. All the other South Broward cities already mentioned each have much to offer...Pembroke Pines, Davie, Plantation, Coral Springs, Cooper City etc. You need to think about how much time you are willing to commute and what type of housing you will be looking for and of course your budget for housing...then with the help of a good agent you should have no problem finding what you want. Good luck finding exactly what you are looking for.

My son is a 3rd year medical student at University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital. He lives on South Beach in a tiny studio apt. but there are gorgeous luxury apartment buildings on South Beach. I don't know if South Beach is a good place for families though! My daughter lives on campus at the University of Miami in Coral Gables. Parts of Coral Gables are delightful and I believe there's a public high school nearby that was ranked very highly. I think it may be Miami Palmetto Senior High. We live in Boca Raton but that's a little too far to commute. I agree that Aventura is a good place to raise a family and I understand the school district is pretty good there too.

While I know Weston is nice, I believe they had water issues for a while, didn't they? I can't remember what the issue was, but I thought it had to do with a lack of available treated water for the number of residents...or maybe it was drainage issues. I am sure most problems have been resolved as the community has been established for 10+ years. A few other nice areas are Coral Springs and Plantation - they might be just a bit too far for you to drive. Personally, while Miami is nice, you will quickly learn that you probably will be happier living in Broward County, than Miami-Dade. If you have to pick a City in Miami to settle in I would recommend Aventura - it is practically on the Broward County/Miami Dade County border. It's a bit pricey, but nice. Good luck with your move!

I don't know what water problems you're talking about. We travel to Weston at least 3 or 4 times a year. My DD has lived there for over 5 years and has never had a problem.

As a side note, they used to live in Kendall (S Miami) and moved to Weston partly because of their excellent public school system. This was proven when my youngest DGD was named the top kindergarten student in the area. She reads at a Grade 2 level.

I agree that S Beach is a wonderful place - to visit. Personally I wouldn't want to deal with the traffic on a daily basis.

Beth

Thank you very much for all the posts.

It seems that the South Broward County is the place to be. We are thinking about renting for the first year to make sure that we like the community, and also that driving to Jackson Memorial is OK.

Does anyone know if there are any apartment complexes in that area?

Thanks again.

Bob.

Bob -

Once again...just pick a city in South Broward and you will find so many places in so many price ranges you will be surprised. You just need to decide what community ... Since you are traveling to Jackson you should pick one close to I-75 or I-95 for an easy commute. Best of luck to you!

South Broward is your best bet. Cooper City or Davie (where I live) are nice. Weston is nice, but the taxes are insane.

Pembroke PInes, Cooper City and Davie all run together and have easy access to major arteries to get you to Miami.

My son is a 3rd year medical student at University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital. He lives on South Beach in a tiny studio apt. but there are gorgeous luxury apartment buildings on South Beach. I don't know if South Beach is a good place for families though!

Ha! That made me chuckle! While South Beach is a very, errr, interesting place to visit, and is great to have access to, there really isn't anything normal or real about it - I'd say no to families.

But like I said, really fun place to visit!

South Broward is your best bet. Cooper City or Davie (where I live) are nice. Weston is nice, but the taxes are insane.

Pembroke PInes, Cooper City and Davie all run together and have easy access to major arteries to get you to Miami.

Yes but they do your landscaping and lawncare for you. ;)

Beth

SusieK -

I've lived in Weston for 9 years in a 5/4 and I must tell you that I do not think my taxes are outrageous. They are lower than Sunrise and Sunshine Ranches that both border Weston. You may be thinking about the homeowner's association for the "Arvida" built sections...but taxes are comparable with Davie, Pembroke Pines etc and the schools, parks, services etc are second to none.

Archived