driving to Montreal from Burlington

We are planning to fly into Burlington, rent a car and drive to Montreal for a few days before our cruise in October. I see there are a couple of different routes we could take, (including crossing Lake Champlain, and going up through New York). We will have a full day to do this. Does any body have any recommendations as to routes? (sightseeing, stops along the way, border crossing,etc).

Also, do you know of any National, or Alamo car rental offices in downtown Montreal, or preferably in Old Montreal where we will be staying? I'd like to avoid having to return the car to the airport if I can.

Thanks for any help...

I've driven both ways. Going accross Lake Champlain and thru NY State is probably the prettiest way to go, but the downside is that you cross at Lacolle, by far the busier of the border crossings you can use. The fastest way is probably I-89 to Philipsburg, then via 2-lane highway to St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, where you hit multi-lane highway again. The border crossing is probably the least busy of the major ones, but the countryside isn't necessarily the prettiest.

Considering you have all day (and direct, it'll only take you 1 1/2 hours), I would be tempted to go the roundabout way and cross at Derby Line/Stanstead. These twin towns are a destination onto themselves, stradling the border and sharing a library and opera house that literally straddles the border. Then, you could drive thru the backroads of the Eastern Townships.

Hi Retired 07,

Were you abel to get one-way car rental US-to-Canada with National or Alamo?

The most straight forward border crossing is I89 North all the way to Philipsburg 1.5 hours. The roundabout suggested by Twickenham thorugh I91 Derby Line/Stanstead indeed is good but it will be a trip for the whole day with all the stops at Eastern Town ship. As for the driving distance it will for sure be double or three times the distance if you were to use I89.

Hi Armani1975

We haven't booked it yet, but, according to their websites they have cars available for this ($119-$136/day)--Hertz also does, but they are way too expensive. The more I look at the map, I think we'll go south from Burlington, cross Lake Champlain at Chiminey Point, and go up either I-87 or State rte 9. to the border, then rte 15 into Montreal. We would leave Burlington around 9:am, and would like to get to Montreal by 5-6pm. Does this sound do-able?

Also, do you know of any National or Alamo places downtown or in Old Montreal, so we could avoid the airport?

Thanks!

Just a caution - aviod hitting the bridges going onto the island of Montreal right at rush hour (4-6 pm) as you will have a much longer wait in traffic than at the border....

I would suggest enjoying the culture of Burlington - Church Street - Shelburn Museum and then head up the interstate to Philipsburg - the drive up the interstae either thru Vermont or NY state is about the same ... and make sure you reach Montreal either before 3 or after 7 to aviod the traffic ruch hour.

Also while driving north you can always detour to visit a covered bridge - just after you cross the border at Philipsburg your next (yes 1 horse town) is Pike River or in French St Pierre de Verone and the Highwy turns 90 degrees here right in front of a little country store. If you go straight instead of following the highway you will come to a covered bridge about 5 miles down the road.

If you are ahead of schedule for arriving and will get caught up in Montreal rush hour traffic stop for supper in St Jean Sur Richlieu and here in this town they have made a very nice boardwalk along the Richlieu River - just head into the old downtown section.

Hope this helps.

Yes we fly into Burlington all the time when headed to Quebec!!! You will enjoy the Burlington airport as it is very modern but small so no long lineups...

I would definitely call and talk to an agent about renting in US and returning in Canada. I know I had trouble renting to go to Quebec City. I live in Syracuse, but was able to get cheap air out of Quebec City. Online quoted me a price and gave me a reservation, but when I went to rent it was a no go. Good thing I live close enough to get a friend to drive me. I would hate for you to be stranded. The reason they told me was because the US cars use MPH, in Canada they use Kilometer. They can't rent a MPH car, so they would have to pay someone to drive it back to US and have someone follow. This was about 6 years ago, so things might have changed, but I would not trust an online quote. Call and get it in writing before you get there. Good Luck, I hope it works out.

Just talking to my husband about this and he says that now cars can change easily between MPH and KPH, so that may not be an issue anymore. I definitely hope you can get a car. You will love the drive to Montreal it really is a pretty area.

I've been given a firm quote for a one-way Hertz car from Boston to Montreal, so I assume they know what they're talking about.

Daily rates are much higher than if you return the car to point of origin (so if you want to drive and keep the car for a few days, much cheaper to return it and exchange it for another one in Canada).

Last time I looked into that, years ago, the daily rates were the same either way but there was a $500 dropoff fee for dropping off in another metropolitan area. The current system is quite inexpensive by comparison if you just need the car for one day, or if you can return it in the destination city and get a new one.

I would come over through New York State and take the Champlain boarder.(Done this many times) If you plan to stop at the duty free, be careful not to miss it - it's actually off the road to the right just before you hit the boarder crossing.

As for the the car rentals, there are both Alamo and National car rental in the downtown-Old Montreal area.

Have a great time!!!!

The more I look at the map, I think we'll go south from Burlington, cross Lake Champlain at Chiminey Point, and go up either I-87 or State rte 9. to the border, then rte 15 into Montreal. We would leave Burlington around 9:am, and would like to get to Montreal by 5-6pm. Does this sound do-able?

Also, do you know of any National or Alamo places downtown or in Old Montreal, so we could avoid the airport?

Thanks!

It's definitely doable, and although probably only a bit shorter than the Eastern Townships option there's no way it'll take you that long to get to Montreal unless you stop a lot! I honestly didn't realize there was a bridge down there, the only time I've crossed Lake Champlain to the south of Burlington I took the ferry.

Your 2 concerns re: time and traffic are 1- the Lacolle border crossing, and 2- rush hour, although you'll be at the advantage in that you'll be going the opposite direction of most of the commuter traffic, i.e. onto the island rather than off.

Border Crossing

Just to let you know that there are LOTS of small border crossing offices (custom houses) on the hundreds of back roads (all good paved 2 lane roads) all around the area but with the 2 main crossings being at the north ends of the interstates be it the interstae running thru NY state or the interstate running thru Vt...

Get yourself a good road map - visit your local AA office - and then detour thru some really nice rural areas and try going thru one of the many small customs and you will not have any wait at all - we generally use either Clarenceville or Alberg crossings and at those we think a 1 car wait is a line up......

US rental cars going into Canada are not a problem as long as it is not a Canadian renting & driving them...

Why is that a problem when it's a Canadian? Do they consider it an import and impose a tariff?

It is an old law and I guess the government & rental companies are afraid we might keep the cars in Canada and thus avoid paying taxes import duties etc....but I am not sure the law just that it is there!

Is there any problem for a Canadian flying into Burlington then renting a car to go to Montreal and then going back to Burlington for the flight home?

We can save $3-400 each flying from Seattle to Burlington as opposed to Vancouver-Montreal.

We may also use the car to drive down to NYC.

Yes there is a problem...

a Canadian cannot rent a car in the USA and drive it back into Canada...

However you might get away with it if the customs officer at the border is not aware of the law but you are taking the chance. Take a bus or other transport fromt he airport in Burlington to Montreal and then rent your car...

We fly SEA to Burlington all the time due to the difference in price of flying Vancouver to Montreal....

We even had this happen when we lived in the US on work visas. My husband's car was leased and they wouldn't let us drive it into Canada. We pulled out all our visa info and still no dice.

They changed it a couple of years later so leased cars could come in, but only if you were a US resident.

Viv

Is there any problem for a Canadian flying into Burlington then renting a car to go to Montreal and then going back to Burlington for the flight home?

We can save $3-400 each flying from Seattle to Burlington as opposed to Vancouver-Montreal.

We may also use the car to drive down to NYC.

It is STRICTLY against the law for a Canadian to drive a rented US car over the border into Canada. You need to ask them if they have a Canadian car that needs to be returned.

It is STRICTLY against the law for a Canadian to drive a rented US car over the border into Canada. You need to ask them if they have a Canadian car that needs to be returned.

Now I remember why I like cruise holidays - you can visit 3-5 countries hassle free.

This is the first major trip we are taking that isn't a cruise in a couple of years and this regulation screws up our plans. We'll be flying to New York then Montreal then back to Vancouver with Air Canada's inflated prices and the extra Canadian taxes.

Archived