How far do they go?

woollys

I am trying to decide which cruise to take- it is my understanding that the round trip LA or Ft Lauderdale cruises DO NOT go very far in to the canal. Is this true and how much do you really see on these- versus the full transcanal ones?:)

These cruises do not go very far into the Canal. They do give you a fair idea of what the Canal is all about. They transit the largest locks on the Canal, Gatun and then proceed to an anchorage where passengers disembark for tours. One of the tours usually offered is a transit of the other two locks and Gaillard Cut on the Pacific side. In taking this tour, you can transit almost the complete Canal and see some of Panama as well. I am referring to the R/T from Florida, which are the most common partial Canal transits. The one from LA operates in a similar fashion, only entering the Canal from the Pacific.

Woollys, It's a common question.

The roundtrip, mostly Fort Lauderdale, trips go through the first set of locks into Gatun Lake and disembark guests for Panama shore excursions, and then those guests are picked up in Colon after the ship makes it’s way back through Gatun Locks. You experience Gatun Locks, and frankly, the locks on the Pacific side are pretty much the same process.

While youl miss sailing through the entire Canal there is a shore excursion offered on a ferry boat that does take you through the rest of the Canal including Gaillard Cut, under both bridges, and out along Amador Peninsula. Then you take a bus back to the Caribbean side to rejoin your ship.

Most of the full transit cruisesl, generally repositioning cruises, just barrel through the Canal without providing the opportunity to get off and see Panama.

You might want to check out this page on my blog where I answer this and other common canal cruise questions http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/qa-for-cruisers/

Regards, Richard

And don't forget to look through the threads on this forum. This is where the questions are originally asked and answered.

If you do only a partial canal cruise this time, you may find yourself booking a full transit in the not too distant future! The locks are fascinating.

Whichever cruise you choose, enjoy it!

Karen

HostKaren@CruiseCritic.com

"If you do only a partial canal cruise this time, you may find yourself booking a full transit in the not too distant future! The locks are fascinating."

Whichever cruise you choose, enjoy it!"

You're absolutely correct, Karen. The only thing I would add is, plan on doing both! There is just something about going through the Canal completely. While the Canal is what sets Panama apart and is certainly the main attraction, Panama does have a lot to offer other than the Canal. This is where the partial transit has a lot of pluses, not only will you have an opportunity to see the Canal, you will also be able to take in some of Panama as well. When you are on a complete transit, you probably would not want to leave the ship and take any land tours, defeating the purpose of the complete transit. Meanwhile the partial transit will give you a great opportunity to see Panama and the Canal. The point being they are both great cruises!! Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm amazed how most people consider the roundtrip from LA in the same breath as a roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale. From LA you do about 95% of the transit, (The only thing you don't do is the Gatun Locks). In fact from LA you essentially do the canal twice, going into the canal, across the isthmus to Gatun Lake (which is in the Caribbean side) and turning around and traveling the entire distance out, again to the Pacific side. You get the canal coming and going. Please explain what I would miss compared to a full transit?

I think the big draw towards the Florida Canal trips is they have 10/11 day itineraries as opposed to 18/19 day Princess itineraries out of California. If you take the Canal by Ferry tour it is possible to see the majority of the Canal on the Florida R/T. You are right, on the Pacific round trips, Gatun Locks are not utilized. One question I have had about this itinerary is, where does the ship turn around and proceed back out the Canal? It really looks like a good cruise.

Archived