Question about San Juan forts

kenseycat

Hi all-

My boyfriend and I will be in San Juan from 5pm to midnight. I noticed that both of the forts close at 6pm. I was wondering if it is feasible if we get off the ship right at 5pm(we are on Carnival so we are docking in Old San Juan) and we run(or walk really fast) if we can get to either of the forts before they close and possibly get in. Of course this is assuming that we are on time and arrive at 5pm. Just wondering if anyone has tried. Also which fort is closest (improving our chances) or is one much better to visit than the other.

Thanks for your help!

Barb

Forget the Forts, given your time constraints.

Print out a self-walking tour of the old city. Do that instead, and you will have no regrets. Start on the western side, toward the bay, and through the City Gate.

Enjoy.

The closest Fort is San Cristobal. As long as you dock on time and get out quickly, you should be able to get there in about 5 min walk.

They will let you in, but will alert you to closing time.

If you are coming on a Tuesday, you are in luck, because of the La-Lo-Lai dance show that starts in that Fort at 6pm, the fort is open until 7pm.

Starting in June, the forts stay open until 6pm.

The closest Fort is San Cristobal. As long as you dock on time and get out quickly, you should be able to get there in about 5 min walk.

No disrespect, since you are a native of P.R.

However, having enjoyed staying in OSJ on numerous occasions, your time frame (i.e., 5-minutes from dock to fort) is well beyond even "world-class-athlete" abilities.

No disrespect, since you are a native of P.R.

However, having enjoyed staying in OSJ on numerous occasions, your time frame (i.e., 5-minutes from dock to fort) is well beyond even "world-class-athlete" abilities.

No problem questioning. Not a native, just a transplant!

I guess it depends on how fast you walk and if you take the shortest path. At most, for the average person (walking about 2-3 mph) it is 10 mins- the fort is less than 1/4 mile away. I have done it a lot, so maybe it seems like less time than it actually is. But really it is not far.

Go up the street in front of the pier (by the trolley stop- it is called Corrretjer St) ), then turn left at the end of the street (Paseo Covadonga) and then a quick right onto Recinto Sur (the first street you come to), go 2 blocks on Recinto Sur (cross the Plaza Cristobal- you will see the fort to your right), then turn right in front of the fort ( the fort is right on the corner) and enter the fort on Munoz Rivera Ave entrance.

Here is a map that can help:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&om=1&msa=0&msid=116969536791656461166.00000111c2647d9ad5cbd&ll=18.465352,-66.110734&spn=0.005027,0.010042&z=17&iwloc=000001126c18efeb9c160

Maybe you will be lucky. On our recent Costa cruise, our port time said arrival 5h00 pm , we watched then putting out the gangways from our balcony and hurried downstairs. We were walking around OSJ and it was only 4h30. :D

We had booked a 5pm Segway tour as it was the only one I could get and that's why we were rushing. They knew our ship was only scheduled to arrive at 5 but assured us the ships are often early.

Good luck getting to the fort!

My family and I just sailed on the Costa Fortuna last week. We arrived in San Juan at 5pm and took a quick $10 cab ride to El Morro. Paid $3 each to get in and did a 1 hour self guided tour of the fort and walked back to the cruise ship docks. No problem. Fort closed at 6pm. FYI-You will have a good opportunity to snap some pictures of El Morro on the port side of your ship as you enter San Juan harbor.

My family and I just sailed on the Costa Fortuna last week. We arrived in San Juan at 5pm and took a quick $10 cab ride to El Morro. Paid $3 each to get in and did a 1 hour self guided tour of the fort and walked back to the cruise ship docks. No problem. Fort closed at 6pm. FYI-You will have a good opportunity to snap some pictures of El Morro on the port side of your ship as you enter San Juan harbor.

Did you enjoy the Fortuna? My mom sails on her this Sunday as she crosses the Atlantic.

If San Cristobal is 1/4 mile from the pier, about how far is El Morro? We're sailing on Destiny and plan on visiting one (or both) before we leave (we arrive at noon).

Thanks!

(sorry, OP, didn't mean to hijack your post:o )

If San Cristobal is 1/4 mile from the pier, about how far is El Morro? We're sailing on Destiny and plan on visiting one (or both) before we leave (we arrive at noon).

El Morro is probably about a mile away. On the NW point of OSJ.

You can walk it, though it is uphill on the way there. I won't estimate how long it will take- depends on the route and how fast you walk!

You can take the trolley (which stops right across from Pier 4) up to each of the fort's entrances, then when you are done, just walk back.

Some one else mentioned a cab.....

Trolley info:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/2007/12/18/old-san-juan-trolley/

El Morro is probably about a mile away. On the NW point of OSJ.

You can walk it, though it is uphill on the way there. I won't estimate how long it will take- depends on the route and how fast you walk!

You can take the trolley (which stops right across from Pier 4) up to each of the fort's entrances, then when you are done, just walk back.

Thanks! Trolley (uphill) it is!

Earthfaries,

Our family very much enjoyed our recent cruise on the Costa Fortuna. Ship was very clean. The staff was excellent. The food was mostly very good, sometimes just average. (I never went hungry.) The shows were very good. Your mom will enjoy her trans-atlantic cruise.

Archived