Carseats in taxis

lolakat

We recently took a cruise out of Miami with our 6mo daughter. I was shocked to find that many taxi drivers picking up at the pier did not expect us to install our carseat in their cab. I guess they thought we would hold our daugher in our lap. An NCL rep directed us to a van transfer to the airport. He asked us how many we were. We told him 5 (4 adults and the baby) but the van he took us too only had 4 open seats. Next a cabie actually took our luggage out of the back of his cab and drove away when we told him we wanted to put the car seat in. I would have thought they would want us to put the seat in. (it is illegal not to isn't it?) We didn't take any excursions on the islands that required taxis so I'm not sure what the situation there would be. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Am I the only one who won't ride without the car seat?

We are going an another cruise in about a month to Bermuda. I'd like to take some taxi's to the beach. Dose anyone have experience with car seats there. If you can't use the car seats do you just ride with your infants on your laps?

Thanks for any insight you could give me.

interesting, I looked at the NYC taxi and limo commision website which confirmed that taxis and exept from the carseat laws but "Passangers with children are encouraged to bring their own car seats which the driver must allow them to install." (check out www.nyc.gov/html/tlc if you're interested) Apparently this is a state exemption. Not sure what the law in Miami is. I guess I must just be an over protective new mommy. :o (Still, I don't love the idea of going without one)

Sorry to keep answering my own post but maybe this will be helpful to someone else too. I looked at the Miami chamber of commerce website which states carseats ARE required in taxis and limos in Miami. They are also required in Philadelphia (where I'm from).

One web site on Bermuda (bermuda-online.org/getaround) states that since 1/04 car seats are required in taxis on the island.

"Since 1 January 2004, under The Motor Car Act 1951 and Motor Car (Seat Belts) Regulations 2002, seat belts are required. ....Children from birth to one year and up to 20 lbs in weight must be in a rear facing seat. Children from 30 lbs to 40 lbs must be in a forward-facing child seat..... The driver of the vehicle is legally responsible for ensuring compliance and may be fined for non-compliance, but the law does not seem to be clear on who must provide booster seats or special child seats for young children. To be on the safe side, parents using taxis for their young families should bring their own. If they do not, so as not to risk being liable by default, taxi drivers may not wish to take them. Older cars with no seat belts are not required to be modified. Non-compliance otherwise attracts a fine of $2,100 per offence"

I guess the bottom line is make sure to check the local laws if you are inclined to travel in taxis without a car seat. Or just take the bus....

WOW sounds like you had an interesting experience in Miami. We always have the exact opposite. When we walk out of the airport, we head straight to the "Taxi Transport" desk outside of baggage claim. Their first question is always "Where's your car seat?"

It is the law that you use one in Florida. And they are suppose to uphold that law.

AJI2596 - I hope you aren't cruising out of Florida, different laws there. ;)

is there a car seat law in mexico? or babies just sit on parent's lap?

I am going to take a shot in the dark and say that Mexico has no child restraint laws as far as taxis are concerned. ;)

Now the question is, SHOULD they have laws for safety seats? :p

I look at it this way. There is NO way in the world I would feel comfortable driving my child around my neighborhood (with the perfect road conditions) without a carseat. Now put that car in Mexico, add the poor road conditions, the lack of traffic laws in general, a stranger driving that car...I wouldn't suddenly say "Oh it's ok now, I am not breaking any laws" :eek:

How about the law of common sense?

Sorry but those drivers are crazy, to say the least.

PennyAgain - thanks for the info about Alaska. Do you know if the same is true for shuttle vans? We'll have our 11-month old and I will certainly feel more comfortable putting him in a carseat, but expected the tour operators to say we couldn't install it. Hopefully the law is we have to and they will let us! But what do you do with the carseat when you've reached your destination?

aaklang: our carseat fit in the closet of the AB cabin on the ncl pearl.

crusinmama: How did you manage the car seat issue when going out onto the islands? The taxis I saw on Antigua, Barbados and St. Lucia may have been able to accomidate them but I'm not sure. The "taxis" on Tortola, St. Thomas and the Dominican Republic were really more like open pick up trucks with benches. I'd love to hear some of your experiences. On the last cruise we stayed on the boat but I'd really like to take my daugter to explore some of Bermuda when we go next month. Thanks for any advice.

crusinmama: How did you manage the car seat issue when going out onto the islands? The taxis I saw on Antigua, Barbados and St. Lucia may have been able to accomidate them but I'm not sure. The "taxis" on Tortola, St. Thomas and the Dominican Republic were really more like open pick up trucks with benches. I'd love to hear some of your experiences. On the last cruise we stayed on the boat but I'd really like to take my daugter to explore some of Bermuda when we go next month. Thanks for any advice.

Have you read this thread yet? It pretty much sums it up

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=515214

I find taxis with seatbelts. Never been to DR or Tortola, but in St. Thomas, there were alot of normal taxis with belts. And I use a travel car seat. The links are listed in the above thread.

I also try to book the cruise sponsored bus tour. I just feel safer in a bus. It's probably naive thinking, but that's what we have done.

crusinmama06, do you use your car seat on the cruise sponsored bus tours? I am just curious what you and others are doing on the buses. I did see the other thread about taxis and cars seats.

When we went to Bermuda we felt safe on the public buses without a carseat. The speed limit is 25 mph and it seems to be enforced.

crusinmama06, do you use your car seat on the cruise sponsored bus tours? I am just curious what you and others are doing on the buses. I did see the other thread about taxis and cars seats.

When we went to Bermuda we felt safe on the public buses without a carseat. The speed limit is 25 mph and it seems to be enforced.

Car seats aren't allowed on full sized buses. They usually ask us to stow them underneath the bus in storage. I agree with you, I feel ok on a bus without a car seat. So now if I know we are doing a bus, I leave the car seat on the ship.

Archived