New on Century - Lido food and Internet Speed

Xcruiser

Just returned from the Century 3/31 sailing and was amazed at the selections of food served in the Lido. Our waiter confirmed that the “New Menu” food items where rolled out in the Lido and will soon be in the dinning room on Century. I thought the food selection served was better than I have seen on any of my past cruises. Some examples:

Breakfast – fried sausage Links both small and large (not brown and serve) replaces boiled sausage patties. Traditional hash brown potato’s replaces diced seasoned potato cubes. Good selection of fish, cheese and fruit. Eggs scrambled, in a basket, poached or made to order at omelet stations. A Asian food breakfast was also being served as well.

Lunch – Very diverse selections including many new traditional, Asian and Tai offerings as well.

More buffet offerings as well during dinner time.

There were however some issue with the serving temps on warming trays on various hot items served in the Lido, some items were cold.

Wireless Internet speed was recently upgraded as well and felt close to broadband consistently. I would say from the feel it was on the order of 2-3x faster than any other Celebrity sailings and was the fastest Internet speed I have ever experienced onboard any ship I’ve sailed. Wireless signal was good to very good from my cabin located in the aft of Century.

I’ll be writing a full review and will post it shortly but wanted to get this out for those preparing to sail Century. This 5 day sailing far exceeded my expectations with a great crew and a ship that looks very good for its age.

If anyone has any questions I’ll be glad to try to answer them.

Happy sailing,

Joel

Thanks for some positive feedback! We're sailing on her on May 17 and I was a little concerned about the recent negative reviews. :)

Can't wait to read your review.

Thanks for sharing the good news............did you hear anyone mention how wireless signal was around mid-shp on the Vista Deck? I'm hoping that the CL is a hot spot, and therefore, signal might be good ;)

Anyone know?

Can't wait; our first X cruise in January!

...Eggs scrambled, in a basket...

How did this work out?

I personally have only tried scrambled eggs from a pan. If you used a basket, I would think most of the mixture would leak out before the eggs coagulated. :eek: Or did they use a basket with a very fine mesh? ;)

Thanks for your help!

Les

Glad to hear you had a great time!

The new food on the Lido sounds like what I remember from RCCL breakfast and lunch buffets. A little change is good, as long as they don't take the trays away like the did on our last Monarch cruise.

Good news about the net speed!

Dave:eek:

How much is internet per minute? I assume they have packages.

I found this on the Celebrity website:

Internet

Internet access is available in the Internet Café 24 hours a day until debarkation is completed. Internet minutes are available at 5 different rates:

•$0.65cents a minute with no package.

•$40 for 75 minutes

•$60 for 125 minutes

•$80 for 185 minutes

•$100 for 260 minutes.

How did this work out?

I personally have only tried scrambled eggs from a pan. If you used a basket, I would think most of the mixture would leak out before the eggs coagulated. :eek: Or did they use a basket with a very fine mesh? ;)

Thanks for your help!

Les

Geez Les, now I know why you said you wouldn’t try pigs in a blanket.:eek: :rolleyes: I wish you and Shirley could have joined us Century, a good time was had by all.

Really the food selection in the Lido was much better and more diverse than what we had on our sailing on Millie in January. You would have loved the coffee as it was the same and not to our liking. I guess coffee is subjective but I would like to know what they subjected this coffee to.:D

Good to hear from you,:)

Joel.

Thanks for sharing the good news............did you hear anyone mention how wireless signal was around mid-shp on the Vista Deck? I'm hoping that the CL is a hot spot, and therefore, signal might be good ;)

Anyone know?

Can't wait; our first X cruise in January!

I didn’t need to take my notebook out of the cabin like I normally do on other ships so I can’t say first hand what the signal was like mid ship. I did notice wireless access points located in the halls about every 150-200’ so I would expect it to be good in most cabin locations. We were aft about 75’ from a access point and had signal to spare. Internet speed was impressive for a ship I would have to say.

Great to hear positive comments. DH and I are giong on the May 17 British Isles sailing, which is 12 nights, so I'm glad there is more variety in the food selection. I also appreciate internet speed, esp. when being charged by the minute!

I didn’t need to take my notebook out of the cabin like I normally do on other ships so I can’t say first hand what the signal was like mid ship. I did notice wireless access points located in the halls about every 150-200’ so I would expect it to be good in most cabin locations. We were aft about 75’ from a access point and had signal to spare. Internet speed was impressive for a ship I would have to say.

XCruiser/Joel: Thanks; that's very encouraging! I'm guessing you were on the same itinerary we will have, the 5 day Key West, Grand Cayman sailing? Will you be doing a review? I'm curious about formal nights/other dressy affairs......... was the bridge invite a CC or Elite perk? I'm sailing with 2 friends on a girls getaway and I'll be Elite, but the others will be Select, so not sure who will get invited to what.

XCruiser/Joel: Thanks; that's very encouraging! I'm guessing you were on the same itinerary we will have, the 5 day Key West, Grand Cayman sailing? Will you be doing a review? I'm curious about formal nights/other dressy affairs......... was the bridge invite a CC or Elite perk? I'm sailing with 2 friends on a girls getaway and I'll be Elite, but the others will be Select, so not sure who will get invited to what.

We were on the same 5 day itinerary and as soon as I get caught up on a few things I plan to write a full detailed review. As for the evening dress it went like this:

Night 1 – Causal

Night 2 – Formal – Captains gala

Night 3 – Informal – Captains club party

Night 4 – Causal

Night 5 – Causal

I was very pleasantly surprised at how well the dress code was respected for a short Caribbean over spring break. I would estimate 95%+ were dressed within the evening’s dress code on the formal, 75%+ on men were in jackets on the informal as well. We did Murano on the 4th night and it’s a not to be missed experience in a very formal setting. Most dressed Informal to Formal in Murano that night.

If dressing up is not your thing I did hear the causal dinning had very good food and service. The buffet had more choices at dinner than I have seen on prior Celebrity cruises but is still not a full buffet.

As for the bridge tour that is normally an Elite perk with some exceptions (not all Elite depending on the cruise) and other special invitees. We did not get a invite but did to the back stage tour but since we have done that before we didn’t go.

We really enjoyed the cruise and our first return to the Century, great ship and crew. :)

Thanks for the info; that's very helpful. Murano's does sound wonderful, but this is a girls getaway, so I dunno 'bout it this cruise :eek: No problems dressing up, but not sure about the other goils.

Hoping to get the bridge tour invite; we did one once on another ship and it was quite the memorable experience!

I'm assuming the Captain's Club party is for anyone who has cruised X or RCCL before? Or Select & Elite? Not sure how X works things, but can't wait to learn! It seems too good to be true to be taking our first Celebrity cruise and I'll be Elite when I board! LOL

Now, if I could just quit asking my questions, you could have had your review done by now. Actually, since I posted the question to you, I've since found the thread where someone else wrote one and some others chimed in. Still, looking forward to your spin on things :)

Depending on the number of elite members on the cruise, the bridge tour might not be offered (if there are too many members).

The captains club party is for all members. There is also a senior officer's party usually held during the day for those at the higher levels.

Depending on the number of elite members on the cruise, the bridge tour might not be offered (if there are too many members).

The captains club party is for all members. There is also a senior officer's party usually held during the day for those at the higher levels.

On our 5 night sailing there wasn’t a senior officer’s party or chardonnay blending offered to Select and Elite members as is the case on longer sailings. We did our own chardonnay blending, with Marti’s and other drinks and had a great time, at least what I can remember of it.;) :D

Archived