Would love to see pictures of 30 ft. wave!

Here are some from a long time ago. A HAL ship in the North Atlantic if I remember correctly.

The ship was fine. These waves were not 30 feet, but rumored to be 30 meters high as they crashed over the bow easily.

3first_wave_hitting_rotterdam_bow.jpg.64a5c0a6d560ae49ac230eb1058f7851.jpg

4second_wave_wall_of_water_30_meters_high_--tall_as_crowsnest.jpg.b4b7d8ef96ad2fc2a0aaaaf8279fa1cd.jpg

5wave_coming_down_again_on_bow_and_all_the_way_up_to_bridge.jpg.c906fa25c7cee9bc67535ad0972ba0fe.jpg

I feel for you, as I can relate to this.

We were sailing from New Zealand to Australia in late March 1998 on the Sky Princess, and were caught in a Cyclone in the Tasman Sea. We had 65 ft. seas for several days, but didn't lose power, thank God. The ship was traveling at about 7-9 knots, and the stabilizers were working. This ordeal lastet 4 1/2 days, and we missed the Fjordlands and Hobart, Tasmania alltogether.

We were not allowed to go on deck, and all the doors were chained, as it was too dangerous. Some windows were broken, and a forward railing on the top deck was broken in half.

We purchased some photos from the ship's photographer, that were taken from the forward lounge on the top deck, and they look like a scene from the "Perfect Storm" movie.

Most people were sick for days, and the dining room was fairly empty. My husband and I are good sailors, we discovered, as we didn't miss a meal. We had to wear sneakers at all times, as we were staggering about, bumping into each other or the bulkheads.

We went back 2 years later, this time in January, and had excellent weather.

Happy Cruising, Ginnie

Here is a link that takes you to a short video of a LARGE wave obscuring the windows of the Golden Lion Pub on the QM2 Deck 2 back in May. It had to be a 20-30 foot wave easily!

http://www.*****/travelpage/ubb-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=006307

Here is a direct link:

QM2 Wave

I love the nervous laughter :eek:

Been in seas like that (Golden Princess, 8-02 Trans-Atlantic) and it can be bumpy. Several windows on Prom Deck shattered due to ship's flexing that trip, and many people were somewhat under the weather.

Worse trip was on little Golden Odyssey, (a 10,000 tonner), Nov 86, in the China Sea, attempting to outrun the back end of a typhoon.

We had green water over the bridge, screws out of the water, and I'm told that the inclinometer was "pegged" several times. Adm Halsey lost 3 destroyers to capsizing in those same waters, closing days of WW2.

Stunning QM2 shots. Girlfriend and I had lunch in the pub Sat and Sun of our Mother's Day cruise and the weather was so good that (as we sat by one of those windows) she wished for 'a little storm.' Now that she's seen the clip she's not so sure!

Archived