Deal for those flying from NY to Vancouver

vk1804

Hi:

I am fairly new to this site and don't post often but I am sailing on an Alaska cruise in July from Vancouver and I've seen alot on here about flying into Seattle and making way to Vancouver due to prices of flights.

I have done hours of homework. If there is anyone from NY or the NY area, you should know that there is a flight on Cathay Pacific that leaves JFK and is non-stop to Vancouver. It's at 11pm and arrives Vancouver just after 1am Canada time. Anyway, while most direct from NY to Vanc. in July willl run $800 to $1,000 round trip, this flight is under $450 round trip. Booking directly on the Cathay site is cheaper than expedia or anything else you will find.

Just thought I'd share.

Hi:

I am fairly new to this site and don't post often but I am sailing on an Alaska cruise in July from Vancouver and I've seen alot on here about flying into Seattle and making way to Vancouver due to prices of flights.

I have done hours of homework. If there is anyone from NY or the NY area, you should know that there is a flight on Cathay Pacific that leaves JFK and is non-stop to Vancouver. It's at 11pm and arrives Vancouver just after 1am Canada time. Anyway, while most direct from NY to Vanc. in July willl run $800 to $1,000 round trip, this flight is under $450 round trip. Booking directly on the Cathay site is cheaper than expedia or anything else you will find.

Just thought I'd share.

That is an extremely sharp price.

Hi:

Just thought I'd share.

The Cathay "tag end" of the Hong Kong flight is the BEST deal from the East Coast to the Vancouver. And on one of the BEST airlines in the world. 747, Cathay's stellar service. A really, really good flight experience.

Cathay started flying non stop JFK/HKG almost 4 years ago. They have been building market share for the nonstop out of JFK. It generally flies full. But they don't have enough pax to justify two nonstops per day out of JFK. If and when they do, I believe that they will discontinue the JFK/YVR/HKG flights. West coast pax already have 3 options to HKG-2 out of LAX and one out of SFO daily.

Enjoy this super bargain while it lasts. The price has been the same for almost 3 summers.

But they don't have enough pax to justify two nonstops per day out of JFK. If and when they do, I believe that they will discontinue the JFK/YVR/HKG flights.
Actually CX went to 2 n/s flights daily some months ago and loads are still good. YVR is a huge origin/destination market for HKG traffic as it is, and JFK-YVR O/D traffic is not bad on its own, so I don't know if the JFK YVR service will be discontinued anytime soon, at least not until CX starts its rumored transatlantic service a la Open Skies.

Actually CX went to 2 n/s flights daily some months ago and loads are still good. YVR is a huge origin/destination market for HKG traffic as it is, and JFK-YVR O/D traffic is not bad on its own, so I don't know if the JFK YVR service will be discontinued anytime soon, at least not until CX starts its rumored transatlantic service a la Open Skies.

They finally got the second non stop going???? I better keep up a little better.

Purser told me in October the YVR/JFK leg would turn into a HKG/YVR/SFO to provide service on HKG/YVR and add a second SFO daily. But it appears that Cathay as just increased the YVR/HKG to 3 a day (March 30, 2008).

Maybe the bargain of the year will be available for a long time to come. Hope so!!!!

Yes, it is probably the best deal you will find. I booked our flights with Cathay Pacific last August. Total cost was $790 r/t for two passengers. I am looking forward to flying with them as they are consistently a top rated carrier. However, I am not looking forward to getting into YVR at 1:00 a.m. (4 a.m. EDT) and first have to clear customs. Catching some sleep on the plane is going to be a must so I can make the most out of the weekend in Vancouver.

Can I book a one way? We are doing a B2B AK cruise. We will fly into Anchorage, but home from Vancouver. :confused:

One ways on Cathay are prohibitively expensive as with most airlines.

Book the RT Cathay, then in mid October/early November or when you see a good price, book a one way on Alaska to ANC . One ways on Alaska from YVR to ANC run about $200.00, but there are sales. So total cost of about $600.00pp.

CANADA TIME ?

So if the flight arrives in Vancouver at 1:00 am Canada Time, what time is that in American Time ?

I never new Canada had it's own special time. I believe Vancouver is in the Pacific Time zone, which would be the same as Seattle, LA etc., or did I forget to add the exchange rate and that's what makes it Canada Time ?

I booked the RT New York to Vancouver for $415.02 each passenger. It is a very good deal.

Interesting, just checking their price, the one way from JFK to YVR is $226.45 USD while the one way from YVR to JFK is $840.94 CAD. It is much cheaper to book the RT.

Wow...thanks for that info. The reason why we are doing the B2B is that I said if we are spending all the $ to FLY out there, we might as well STAY there and do the 2 different itins. This is vs. maybe flying out next year (2010) and doing a different sailing. But it might be cheaper to fly out twice! But then again, you never know. With the prices, the economy....who knows what it's going to be like in 2 1/2 years. DH said at least we're BOOKED. If it is too expensive (since we have 3 cruises booked before that, and I am kind of shaking in my boots! :eek: ) we'll cancel the southbound and do the RT just to save on airfare. Which doesn't seem fair! :confused: :(

Archived