Verandah railings on Zuiderdam?

karylj

We are sailing for the first time on Zuiderdam in June. We currently have a category VH verandah stateroom guarantee. This will be our first verandah, but I am concerned because the brochure describes the railing as "solid steel instead of clear view plexiglas". Does this really mean a solid wall of steel that you cannot see through when seated out there? Or is it just bars with openings you can see through? If it really is solid, what is the next best category to upgrade to?:confused:

Yes, it is solid steel, about 3.5 ft high, and all you can see is sky when seated on the verandah or in your room. To avoid that you can choose a VE guarantee, or choose a specifc VF on deck 5. It is only the deck 4 cabins 4001 through 4042 that have the solid steel railings. :)

Thank you so much. Is the steel railing worth the extra price, or should we consider saving some money and downgrade to an inside?
With the steel railings you can see plenty when standing at the rail. DW and I both like to stand at the railing and look around (and take pictures) when arriving in port in the morning or leaving in the evening, so a VH or deck 4 VF would still be fine for that.

DW likes to sit out there and read when we have a plexiglas railing and it's warm enough, but I'm not sure she would do that with a steel railing.

IMO you should either stay with the VH guarantee or choose a specific deck 5 VF.

Actually, Boytjie, you should have red-boxed back much further than you did. Everything on deck 4 in your pic has the steel-wall railings.

Here is another pic. The verandahs above Holland America Line (and forward) are steel-wall railings, while those aft of Line (and on decks above) are the plexiglas.

attachment.php?attachmentid=30476&d=1161130258

Actually, Boytjie, you should have red-boxed back much further than you did. Everything on deck 4 in your pic has the steel-wall railings.

Sure, but the VH's are the first two cabins with steel railings on each side. :)

I wanted to show the difference between to two tyes, more than the location. We had VD4043 on the Zuiderdam - the first plexiglass railing after the steel railings.

Thanks to both of you for the pics. JT, your pic shows the forward most verandah on deck 4 (4001 or 4002) I think, which is the one we were offered before accepting the guarantee, and may still end up with. Can you tell me if there is a wall at the forward most end of the verandah to block the wind coming from the bow?

Thanks to both of you for the pics. JT, your pic shows the forward most verandah on deck 4 (4001 or 4002) I think, which is the one we were offered before accepting the guarantee, and may still end up with. Can you tell me if there is a wall at the forward most end of the verandah to block the wind coming from the bow?

That I could not tell you firsthand, but it looks like there is some partition between the bow area and the first cabin. This is about the best picture I could find:

zuiderdamtop.jpg

JT, your pic shows the forward most verandah on deck 4 (4001 or 4002) I think, which is the one we were offered before accepting the guarantee, and may still end up with. Can you tell me if there is a wall at the forward most end of the verandah to block the wind coming from the bow?
My pic shows the even-numbered cabins between 4002 and 4050, while 4001 would be over on the starboard side. I don't know for sure if there is a partition on the forward side of 4002, but looking at the original picture (that the one I posted was cropped from), it appears that there is.

Finally, let me add that with a VH guarantee you have a VERY good chance of being upgraded, because HAL sells many more than four of those on each cruise! :D However, you could still end up with a steel-walled railing in a VF 4005 through 4042.

Again, many thanks for the pics. So is the first doorway visible in the pic NOT a cabin? It looks to me as if the partition in front of it is only half as high as all the others. What do you guys think?

Again, many thanks for the pics. So is the first doorway visible in the pic NOT a cabin?
When I counted 17 cabins forward from the first one with plexiglas, it appears the partition with the "sun glint" is the forward side of 4002. But - as I said - you have an excellent chance of being upgraded anyway. You may well end up with one with plexiglas!

We've done three guarantees on the Vista ships, for VD once and VE twice. All three times we sailed in nicely-located VA's!! Since there are lots of VD and VE, but only 4 VH, you stand an excellent chance of not getting one ... IMO!

Don't forget, the Zuiderdam has just finished it's first of three weeks in dry dock for refit, refurb and reconfig - which includes adding a whole new module of some 40 plus staterooms, but I can't remember if fore or aft.

Things may be diferent in a couple of weeks.

Don't forget, the Zuiderdam has just finished it's first of three weeks in dry dock for refit, refurb and reconfig - which includes adding a whole new module of some 40 plus staterooms, but I can't remember if fore or aft.

Things may be diferent in a couple of weeks.

It's getting an aft lift. :)

• 6 years later...