Packing for a 9 day cruise with a toddler...

AJI2596

is very stressful!!!!!! I have so many clothes packed for him. Then all the other odds and ends. Sippy Cups, etc. Then I am trying to figure out what and how many toys to bring.

So difficult. Thanks for letting me vent:D

I agree! We are using our back guest room to lay everything out and also have a few lists jotted down of what not to forget.

We are trying to do as much disposable (sippys, spoons, bibs, changing pads) as we can. Took a few weeks of walking up and down the aisle in Babies R Us and Target, but I think I have every disposable travel item ever made.

I agree! We are using our back guest room to lay everything out and also have a few lists jotted down of what not to forget.

We are trying to do as much disposable (sippys, spoons, bibs, changing pads) as we can. Took a few weeks of walking up and down the aisle in Babies R Us and Target, but I think I have every disposable travel item ever made.

Good idea. This way you don't have to bring it home. I just remembered while writing that I need a bottle brush too. Better write that down:D

When travelling with our LO, we buy a lot of that stuff once we get to the port town. It saves packing. That said, we always arrive the day before, and allow ourselves time to visit the local Target or WalMart.

With the toys, we brought a few little things, but we utilized the kid's camp when we were able to...she loved it because they had new toys she had never played with before.

As for clothing, we do laundry while on the ship.

And a small bottle of dish soap. :)

Pretty much you can forget the toys (or just bring a few). On the first cruise with a toddler, I brought loads of toys and never needed them. And that seems to be what everyone says around here too.

Dish Soap. Thanks:D Maybe I will just bring his take along Thomas trains and some matchbox. That seems to entertain him the most. And some VHS tapes.

I dont think you need toys really. Only a couple favorites and I would bring some books for reading. When I took my 2 year old to the caribbean we bought beach toys the first stop (which was all we needed really). THey were also cheap enough to leave rather than pack. I would say what you should stock up on is medicine (everything from gas medicine to benedrel) and sunblock and diapers. Those items can be expensive and you dont always get the brands you want when you are out of the country.

We kept my daughter entertained with beach days during the day, then lunch, then nap, then we would walk around the ship at dusk and listen to music on the promenade deck (which was her favorite). From there we would give her dinner and put her to bed. The one thing that was REALLY nice both flying and on the boat was her portable DVD player.

We also got an in room babysitter in the evenings so that we could enjoy a late dinner on our own. We were not able to utilize the kids club at the time and it was a great option given her age. :)

Have a great trip!

Let's see... here's what I brought too much of:

1. Clothes - don't forget they'll be in and out of a bathing suit during the day. Bring plenty of bathing suits and less clothes. Also, for dinner clothes, if he gets them dirty during dinner you won't be changing him into another outfit, so only bring enought for each night. Maybe even use a pair of pants more than once. Also, we bought a couple of t-shirts and a sunhat while on the trip, so he didn't need all those t-shirts I brought!

2. Disposable anything - I brought too many diapers, swimmies, bibs, cups and utensils. Don't forget a sponge with the dishwashing liquid. I also brought disposable washcloths that have the soap in them, and a travel size bottle of baby shampoo.

3. Toys!!! - Only bring a few of what he/she likes.

4. Sunscreen - after reading threads here, I brought lots of sunscreen but didn't come close to using a whole bottle on him. People here must be buying small bottles????

We used the plastic travel bags and ziploc bags for items I didn't care if they wrinkled (pj's, undergarments, bathing suits) and that save a lot of room. We did have to move a few things around at the airport but we did it! And of course, there is less to bring home. These bags were also great for keeping clean and dirty laundry separate, although I tend to wash it all when I get home. I don't like doing laundry on vacation.

We did a 10 night cruise with a 9 mo, so I feel your pain. :)

A couple of things I learned, though.

1) Do not skimp on diapers. I literally brought (what I thought was) enough for 12-13 days... but I didn't count on DS getting Roseola towards the end of the cruise and going through diapers much quicker than normal. I literally had to borrow 5 diapers from a friendly couple also traveling with a baby on our last day in order to make it through our flight. It was very nearly a miserable flight back for all of us. Don't skimp on the wipes, either - we ended up using them for so many hand wipe-downs at places, not to mention table wipe-downs before setting the high chair at the table. Some places really don't wipe down tables like they should... and for that matter the cruise high chairs weren't always spotless at the beginning of the meal, either.

2) Don't skip on the Tylenol or your own thermometer. I very nearly did, thinking "what are the odds I'll actually have to use these?" Umm, yeah. I really, really needed them.

3) Bring all of your disposable stuff in a cardboard box with a handle (or use duct tape to make your own handle) and then just toss the box on the last day after all your stuff is used up.

4) If at all possible, bring just one (short) wide mouth bottle OR sippy cup and just keep washing that out and refilling it more often than a larger one. If you have a wide mouth one you can probably skip the bottle brush and just use a washcloth from the cabin for cleaning purposes.

5) Skip the snacks and get boxes of cheerios/kix from the breakfast buffet.

I hope this list helped, but if you've got any questions I'd be hapy to answer them!

I know it's a duanting task (I KNOW!), but it was soooo worth it for my family! Just don't think it's going to be a relaxing vacation for you - a mama is a mama wherever she is. ;)

Archived