Help with a rollaway bed and a disabled person

steveaaaa

My neighbor is leaving for the Sensation tomorrow and has a 6A guaranteed booked with an asigned room on the documents. They have the elderly mother who uses a walker to get around but is very mobile. After speaking with them today I pointed out that their room is a 3 person room and they will need a rollaway. Will this work with the mother who needs the walker? Is there enough room for her to get out of the bed and use her walker to get to the bathroom. They have copies of the emails they informed the TA about her walker and they also have copies of an email showing it was forwarded to CCL and CCL replied back to the email (on another issue in the email,but they did get it).

Steve

Having sailed on the Sensation this summer with 3 in a cabin (6A), it was a TIGHT SQUEEZE at times for 3 able bodied people.

Just curious why they didn't book a Handicapped cabin? It would have been safer for the mother (various grab bars, larger walking area, etc...). It is possible to have 3 in a Handicapped cabin (I've done it myself). J I know that anytime I booked a cruise where my mom (who used a walker) was traveling, my TA worked directly with Special Guest Services to find the best cabin for us to travel in. We were never able to book a guar. cabin, because we needed to be assured that the cabin we were getting was laid out in a way to allow the walker to be used in a safe manner.

I hope for their sake one of them is quite young! We were on the Sensation in June (Me, DH, & our 2 kids ages 8 & 5). The "rollaway" if you want to call it that,was nothing more than what looked like a pool chair without the legs. I know it sounds weird but just picture one of those metal framed chairs they use at most hotel pools with the plastic straps across it. Are you still with me? o.k. now just chop the legs off so it sits about 3 inches off the floor! Weird huh? Oh, yeah, it did have a matress on top of it too. Lucky for us, our 5 year old thought it was cool!

As far as getting around the room, I'm with the previous poster on securing a handicap room. It is very tight in a normal cabin, especially in the bathroom! Maybe as soon as they get on the ship, they can go to the pursers office to see if a handicap room is available.

Incidentally, we will be getting on the Sensation again this Thursday, just after your neighbor gets off!

Just curious why they didn't book a Handicapped cabin?

The only accessible cabins on the Sensation for 4 people are inside cabins. Since the OP said that they have a triple cabin and will need a roll-away I assume that they have 4 in their party. I have been thru this with Carnival before and they flat out told me that if I want natural sunlight and a quad, book a Suite. Period. :rolleyes:

Yuck- we had 5 to a cabin and had a rollaway. I just cant see that possible with a rollaway and a walker. After the first night we did away with the rollaway and just asked for extra pillows and blankets- last one in got the floor. So much easier to get around.

I wonder why they didnt put you in a cabin for 4 people. That would have made it a lot easier.

We had a rollaway in a 4A, and it was pretty tight with a rollaway. I would recommend that they have the room steward arrange beds in the cabin so it's convenient for mom to make it around okay.

I use a walker. When I sailed on the Ecstasy, we had a demi suite category 11. It had one queen size bed and a hide-a-bed. When the bed was out, there was not room to use the walker. Luckily, I don't need it for short distances, only longer walks.

The walker was difficult to get in and out of the room and I ended up leaving it in the hallway during the day and brought it in to store in the closet at night. The bathroom has a small step up which would make it almost impossible to take the walker in- besides they aren't that big. It was really fun when I took my mother on the Ecstasy this last time for her 80th birthday- we both had our walkers. It just doubled the difficulty but sure did not interfer with our enjoyment of the trip.

If your mother needs the walker to get around the cabin and in and out of the bathroom, you really need a handicapped accessible room. I would talk to your TA and see if arrangements can be made.

Good luck!

There were no extra handicapped rooms. She is sailing with a group that has about 50 cabins and they are all elderly she's probably the youngest.Because of her good mobility she can almost run with the walker.There were several emails that addressesd this situation and CCL is clearly knowledgable that the room needed to have the drop down bunk and they even double checked that 2 people were capable of slleping in a bunk.They screwed up big time.A phone call late last night with a supervisor got them nothing more than see the purser on board.There are no available rooms.

They are going to squeeze CCL on this for $$$ and this woman will get it from them.She is just that type.

They have a solution now.Her sister is also going and they booked a 2nd cabin for her 2 grandchildren which can accomidate 3 people so they will just have her grandson sleep in that room instead.

I will now have to wait a week to find out how this played out.Thanks for the replies.

Steve

Archived