Anyone use the CARES child restraint?

Has anyone used the CARES child restraint for long flights? I hate to lug a huge car seat everywhere when I will only need it for the flight. I have a very long red eye flight and wonder if he would sleep as well with the CARES system as with a car seat. We also found flying with him previously with a car seat he wasn't able to use the tray table and he was constantly kicking the seat back in front of him. I would appreciate anyones experience with the CARES system.

We've used it and I thought it was worth it. The only drawback (for us) was that my little girl is shorter than most 2yo and the straps came up to her ears vs. resting along her shoulders. It didn't bother her though, it only bothered my husband. As for will it hinder taking a nap, I'm not sure since we were only flying from DFW to Orlando and DD had no desire to sleep.

I know 4 other moms who used it (we all share it so we could cut the cost of all buying our own) and they all have no issues either. It's easy to attach around the seat, light weight, and the best of all is of course no car seat!!

Just back from NOS RCCL and we used the system for the second time and we love it! DD did not nap this time, but last year (2yrs old then) on the way to Jamica, about a 3hr flight she fell asleep with no problems.

I used it on a 16 month old and a 3 year old to fly 14 hours to Barcelona. They napped in it fine. And since it does not raise them up in the seat...they could not reach the seat in front of them to kick it. But, both boys were able to struggle out of it. Since it is not a five point harness, they figured out how to slide through the bottom opening. Once that happened, it was a constant battle to keep them buckled into it. I am still going to bring it on upcoming flights b/c it is so light and easy to pack...but it is not the perfect restraint system for toddlers :rolleyes:

Archived